|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> First barrage with the dealer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/20 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You put way more effort in the dealing than necessary. Make an offer that you believe is fair to you and leave. He either calls you or not. Why would you consider anything but what you believe is fair.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

I don't know when "Documentation Fees" crept into new vehicle purchasing. Pure profit. They have your name and address, etc. The computer just spits out out the form with all of the blanks filled in. I wrote software to do that 35 years ago !

they have been around for many years, at about $300. I make my deal, point at the $300 line and say I am willing to give them $100. since the boss man wants that line to read $300 we take it off the top instead.
bumpy

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MSRP is a government mandated requirement isn't it?

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using RV Trader is how we will buy RVs from now on. Buying one from out of state has the advantage the dealer has to scrap all the "doc fee" nonsense as they have no way to do the paperwork in your home state.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

....snip..... Have you really considered how cramped that trailer is going to be with 5 people in it? I don't mean to rain on your parade but that's going to be pretty tight living conditions. ........

Other than full-timers do people really buy travel trailers to "Live in"? I use a camper to sleep in while I am visiting interesting and fun places. Then I am out of the trailer. Families have enjoyed tent camping for years in smaller spaces than a 25 foot travel trailer with sleeping for six.

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dealers do not currently need to make you a good deal , there are so many people that are buying rv’s for the first time they probably could get MSRP for most of their sales . Wait until spring and there will be a flood of rv’s that were used one time for sale ! The rv life is not the answer for everyone and not as simple as the industry is making it look with hitches proper tow vehicles, poor quality, plumbing and electrical repairs and tanks bing filled and emptied. Good luck in your plans .

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pay no attention to doc fees, freight, delivery, etc. Just get the out the door price with any freebies. I have never cared what was written above the bottom line. When I bought ours, I told them what I would pay for it and not a penny more. I told them to just make all the numbers work, that the bottom number is all I cared about. He agreed and we had a deal. Did the same with our new truck.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do you want to define what a dealer makes on a sale? Say the dealer paid $40,000 to the manufacturer for the unit. If they sell it for $45,000 did they make $5,000? I would say, not even close. Because out of the $5,000 they have to pay the sales person a commission, usually around 25%, that leaves $3750.00 But wait, on top of the commission, the dealer has to pay FICA taxes, unemployment insurance, workman's comp insurance, possibly a 401K match and other benefits, so that will likely run up and additional 20% to the cost of the commission, so take $250.00 off the profit. Apparently there is a sales manager, so he gets $250 net off this sale. There are support people such as receptionist, title clerk, accounting department etc. Say they all cost $250 more. We are down to $3000.00. Land, buildings, utilities, the guys who clean the rigs, surely add another $500.00 to $1000 to the cost of a sale. Split the difference to $750.00 and we are at $2250.00. State and local income taxes for the dealer probably are $35% at a minimum so the dealer is making less than $1500.00. And I bet all those cost figures are on the low side and the original gross profit is greatly inflated. There is no way a dealer could make it if each sale only started with a $1000.00 gross profit before expenses on each sale.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm impressed by a dealer that doesn't play the add-on-fees game. At one point in my search, I had asked a large dealership that we had purchased our MH from a long time ago, for a price on a new TT. Because I was a returning customer - he cut the almost $4,000 in added fees, in half.

I bought a nice 2yr old trailer from a small dealer (I'm going to give them a shout-out because they were so nice to deal with: Curtis Trailer in Schoolcraft, MI) about 30 miles away - there were no add-on fees, they charged for tax/license/title. The price was competitive, the trailer spotless. The salesman knew his product, and there was no pressure to purchase :-)

Always compare the out-the-door price! And it's fine to walk away if the price is more than you wish to pay - if you realize later that your expectations were a bit too much, you can always go back with a higher offer.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Wapiti sounds like a RV dealer, lol.
Well Raife, it’s worth what it’s worth to you regardless of all the conjecture here.
Personally I don’t mind haggling for price onthings and will every time, but somehow I basically despise car/boat/RV type tactics.
Guess I don’t like the run around and being told a story.
A good salesman will get more money for something and not make the customer feel like they got jipped.

Met a good salesman yesterday. Went to check out the first real hockey pro shop in the seattle area. Kinda grand opening for them still. They gave us (3 of us) t shirts and $60 worth of gift cards at the door! Cool!
We were just size shopping, son is growing out of a couple things and no trips to Canada allowed for cheap hockey gear, lol.
Trying on skates, He brings out the $1000 models. Awesome skates! And immediately is shoving custom insoles in them etc. well we settle on the $380 skates after trying a bunch on....and the insoles. I didn’t even have the inclination to look at them. How much could insoles be, right? Kid plays tier 1 hockey and we’re at the point where little things matter I suppose and if they feel better, great.
We check out with a few items incl the skates and insoles. Quick math doesn’t seem like we got much if any of that $60 discount.
I was right. Insoles were $59.99!

See, THAT salesman would have had that TT hooked to your vehicle by the time you left!
Good luck in your search bud. And IMO don’t be afraid of used TTs either. The chance that new is a benefit over newer used is very slim. Again IMo.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> First barrage with the dealer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.