RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Totaled vehicles...sometimes surprising.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Totaled vehicles...sometimes surprising.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

danrclem wrote:

I wouldn't buy a vehicle that has been rebuilt unless I could see the pictures of it before it was repaired and a list of all damage. I'm sure there are some rebuilt vehicles out there that are worthy of driving but I wouldn't want to take the chance.

I fully agree. Also, bear in mind that pictures might not tell the whole story, such as if a vehicle was a flood salvage, or a theft recovery. Best advice -- just don't buy them. Far more horror stories than "best vehicle I ever owned" stories.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is once it's totaled you have no idea what got it to point. A clean title is kind of like a credit rating for a car. Once that's gone you are really rolling the dice.

I do agree there can be some value, though. A buddy of mine has been in the autobody industry for years and buys cars with salvage titles all the time. One he can see everything that is wrong and has been fixed. Secondly, if it's still wrecked he can fix it.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a car totalled after what I thought was light damage. I dunno, at the time it was a good deal for us.

I'd never personally buy a salvage title car, just out of fear that it was a flood victim.

Not only that, isn't it an issue to get insurance on a salvage title car? I've never looked into it but that's what I've been told.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

danrclem wrote:

I wouldn't buy a vehicle that has been rebuilt unless I could see the pictures of it before it was repaired and a list of all damage. I'm sure there are some rebuilt vehicles out there that are worthy of driving but I wouldn't want to take the chance.

I fully agree. Also, bear in mind that pictures might not tell the whole story, such as if a vehicle was a flood salvage, or a theft recovery. Best advice -- just don't buy them. Far more horror stories than "best vehicle I ever owned" stories.

My son bought a salvage vehicle. Got a great discount on it. After 10 years and about 120,000 miles we still haven't figured out what the original damage was and haven't had any trouble out of it. He likes his Tesla better so it isn't the "best vehicle he ever owned".

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this is under tow vehicles, but I know of a TT that was totaled by the dealership that sold it in order to sell another, larger TT. The totaled TT supposedly had wind damage, but only a twisted stab jack was found by the next owner. Complete fraud.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in auto insurance salvage for thirty years .Today insurance companies are very afraid of the liability of turning a damaged auto back with a clean title . Fear of lawsuits are the reason . I was an auctioneer and worked for all the major salvage auctions. Also many companies may not have an adjuster in that vicinity so they hire a local contract adjuster, so the way that it is done here will have nothing to do with the way it is done there .Myself I have bought many salvage autos with good luck ,never had a problem . As said above insurance companies usually have a formula based on a percent of return .

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

August of 1992, Miami Fl. 3 year old Ford Festiva, back side window broken by debris from Hurricaine Andrew, 2" of rainwater in car, Insurance totaled it< I bought it back for $350, replaced a back side window, took out seats and carpet for 3 days to dry, reinstalled and drove it for 5 more years with no problems.
Problem is on buying these, how do you KNOW what caused the insurance company to total the vehicle.
If I didnt KNOW the cause, I would be afraid to buy.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

danrclem wrote:

My son bought a salvage vehicle. Got a great discount on it. After 10 years and about 120,000 miles we still haven't figured out what the original damage was and haven't had any trouble out of it. He likes his Tesla better so it isn't the "best vehicle he ever owned".

We know someone(friend of a friend) who bought a salvage Tesla. Got it for a song. Model S. The problem is once it is written off Tesla removes supercharger privileges and he can only charge L2 or use a Chademo adapter at non Tesla fast chargers. For the most part he and she use it for commuting but like to do road trips as well and have to put up with the slower Chademo chargers. Good thing the Chademo network is getting better but would still suck without Supercharger access. Tesla won't budge on their position.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisander wrote:

We know someone(friend of a friend) who bought a salvage Tesla. Got it for a song. Model S. The problem is once it is written off Tesla removes supercharger privileges and he can only charge L2 or use a Chademo adapter at non Tesla fast chargers. For the most part he and she use it for commuting but like to do road trips as well and have to put up with the slower Chademo chargers. Good thing the Chademo network is getting better but would still suck without Supercharger access. Tesla won't budge on their position.

That's a shame. I imagine that Tesla would no longer support that car with updates either. Might be fun to get a salvage titled Tesla to swap into an old car to make a really cool restomod. [emoticon]

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

Reisander wrote:

That's a shame. I imagine that Tesla would no longer support that car with updates either. Might be fun to get a salvage titled Tesla to swap into an old car to make a really cool restomod. [emoticon]

Tesla does this to protect their rep,,
Salvage vehicles battery may not be safe to use when charging and Tesla would get all the blame if it blew up or caught fire.
The owner might even want to sue Tesla
Buyin new battery and geting whole car REcertified could work tho.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Totaled vehicles...sometimes surprising.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.