|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> door lock won't open

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
voodoo101

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/20 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went by my RV to check it out and cannot get the door lock to open. One of the paddle style with two keys: one for the deadbolt and another for the handle. Deadbolt won't budge and it was very hard to remove the key. (Wondering if someone tried to jimmy it.) It worked smoothly until it didn't. Suspect I will need to have it drilled and install another one. If I can find a compatible for a 2001 Sunnybrook Fiver. There is a Bauer on Amazon that looks the same.

Has anyone drilled one of these out and replaced it? How can one move the deadbolt after drilling? Or must I spring for a locksmith. Thanks.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can drill out the cylinder then turn the throw on both the deadbolt and lockset. It takes a while to drill them out, and cheap bits will wear out before you complete it. The only way to tell if something is stuck in the key alley is to disassemble it.

GaryUT

Northern UT

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you drill it out try lubricating the lock cylinder.

2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned above try lubing it, squirt oil in the key slot. Use a light oil, even penetrating oil.

In addition to that try running the key in and out multiple times. It's possible that it could be gummed up in there and one of the pins is sticking.

Also, after oiling it, try tapping on the key cylinder with a small hammer or similar. This may dislodge a stuck pin if that's the problem.
Tap tap,tap, insert key multiple times tap tap tap, key in and out again.
Then try turning it. One stuck cylinder pin will prevent it from turning.

Fortunately, these door handles and lock systems are widely universal. Should be no problem finding a replacement if needed. Yours will likely fit my TT and the neighbors MH and everyone elses too.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Currently under construction, big project! Will change this when done.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/20 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ack, no! Oil in a lock cylinder works temporarily but is a long term kiss of death. It attracts and traps dust which kills the lock in short order.

Locks should only ever be lubed with dry graphite. They make tiny lifetime supply tubes of it for the express purpose of lubing locks. They cost $2 or so, are mostly air, and use the air to blow a small amount of graphite dust into the lock. Flick the tube a few times with your finger, blow a couple squeezes into the key slot, insert key and work it around. It should free up easily.

Do be aware that RV door locks of that vintage and style suffered a manufacturing flaw, or at least some of them did. The defective ones were supposed to have the key inserted and withdrawn ONLY with the blade vertical, but the defective ones could have the key withdrawn with the blade horizontal, and when that was done, it could freeze up the lock permanently. Those had to be drilled out when frozen. Hopefully yours isn’t one of the defectives and the graphite lube does the trick.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a new,class C, Itasca in 2017 and that winter the door latch broke. Got a new one under warranty, It also broke. Went to a small place that sold RV parts, and got a new one but different make, and it's still working fine.

chuckbear

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours is a Trimark and the deadbolt key no longer works in the lock. Fortunately, we were able to finally unlock it and get in but we no longer use it. Just the door latch lock. These Trimark door handle/locks are junk and fail often leaving owners locked out of the rig. We are looking for alternatives to Trimark. This is our third lock that has failed. The deadbolt works using the inside locking lever so the problem is the cylinder which can't be replaced. Chuck

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Trimark door lock failed on our Class C.....could not open door. Ultimately found out that Trimark T-507 lock assemblies had a defect.....the latch bolt was made out of pot metal.....many broke over the years. The new ones now are made of steel.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

chuckbear

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

The Trimark door lock failed on our Class C.....could not open door. Ultimately found out that Trimark T-507 lock assemblies had a defect.....the latch bolt was made out of pot metal.....many broke over the years. The new ones now are made of steel.

This is not the same issue as a lock cylinder failing, which many have done. Chuck

voodoo101

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/20 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to everyone who replied. Yes, I have graphite lock lube and used it. I will try again in the morning and will also shoot some oil if graphite doesn't work. I know oil is a temporary fix but that would let me remove it non-destructively and put in a new unit.

Anything I do here in Scottsdale has to be in the very early morning. Into the teens all this week, again. I envy all of you in cool climes. Bill

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> door lock won't open
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.