|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Propane tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
pauly boy

canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the control panel for your various readings the propane tells me 3/4 full. How accurate would everyone consider this to be? Pretty close...not close at all. Is there a gauge on the propane unit that will tell me? Still new to all this.
Thanks Paul

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It should be approximately accurate, or at least repeatable in where it changes from full to 2/3 to 1/3 to empty, but clearly not very precise at all. There is a gauge on the tank itself that is more useful but often not the easiest to see, in as much as there's usually a sender module for the control panel's gauge covering the middle of the tank gauge's dial.

The tank gauge itself is based on a simple float arrangement inside the tank. Note that there must be some headspace in the tank, so the 80% level on the tank gauge is full. Whether the inside gauge is calibrated in terms of usable capacity or tank capacity (or indeed is calibrated in any practical sense of the word) is anyone's guess without making some tests.

I find mine is handy as a general guide for when I should start thinking about getting more propane. A full tank lasts a good long time if you don't use the furnace (or generator, if you have a propane fueled generator), a number of weeks in my case.

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

A full tank lasts a good long time if you don't use the furnace (or generator, if you have a propane fueled generator), a number of weeks in my case.

Agreed - even in the BBQ case. I've had a 5 gallon tank last a whole season, and that included running the BBQ long after the food was cooked to burn off the mess. For sure, trailer usage is more demanding, but I still find propane capacity to last more than a week.

Where I've gotten into trouble is/was leaving the propane on during storage and underestimating the fridge usage while stored.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

pauly boy

canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/20 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guy's. Your probably right. It's a 40lb tank that reads 3/4 so I'm assuming its good for 4 days worth of use.
Thanks again...Paul

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might check out Scan Gauge. It is a much better system for knowing how much is in your tanks.
Takes some time to install, but not all that hard.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those propane gauges are fairly accurate but confusing, the one on the panel reads in thirds, the one on the tank itself reads in 1/4s.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

freetime58

Winnipeg

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/20 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using the Mopeka Tank Check sensors and free app, transmits fuel levels to your smart phone.....I find it extremely accurate.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine reads 3/4 when full, drops to 1/4 when about half empty, then stays there till empty. Pretty useless lol. If I’m heading out in the winter and I’ll be using the furnace, I’ll fill up if it’s not showing 3/4 full. Otherwise I don’t really worry about it. If it runs out, I fill it.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/20 11:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

freetime58 wrote:

I have been using the Mopeka Tank Check sensors and free app, transmits fuel levels to your smart phone.....I find it extremely accurate.

have you been using it on a cylinder or an a permanently mounted motorhome tank?

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/20 04:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

freetime58 wrote:

You need to buy the sensors in order for the free app to work, correct ?

If so, how do they install ?

Will they work on the class c horizontal tank ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Propane tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.