|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> CO 14/Poudre Canyon Closure-09.07.20 Update

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/20 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another highway closure due to a fire that has exploded in size.
CO 14 through Poudre Canyon west of Fort Collins is now closed due to the Cameron Peak fire in the area of Chambers Lake. Closure is at Rustic on the east side and in Walden on the west side, a distance of about 45 miles. Mandatory evacuations in the immediate area around Chambers Lake Campground, Tunnel Campground and Browns Park Campground in addition to a lot of boondocking areas along the Laramie River Road. Voluntary evacuations in the area closer to Rustic, included the Archer's Resort area, as well as the area west of Red Feather Lakes.

Fire has rapidly grown to over 1500 acres, and is in an area with a lot of beetle kill stands. Low humidity, winds and rough terrain are hampering firefighting efforts.

ETA: D'oh! Thought I posted this in Roads and Routes. Moderator, if you can move please?

* This post was edited 09/07/20 12:53pm by Thom02099 *

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are requesting people not even go up to Red Feather Lakes, and everything south of Deadman Rd is under evacuation. I'm due go up there next weekend to Crystal Lakes area, so we shall see if that happens. So very sad, we had a beautiful spot at Beaver Meadows a month ago.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/20 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAC1982 wrote:

They are requesting people not even go up to Red Feather Lakes, and everything south of Deadman Rd is under evacuation. I'm due go up there next weekend to Crystal Lakes area, so we shall see if that happens. So very sad, we had a beautiful spot at Beaver Meadows a month ago.

Also have a trip planned up the Poudre, to Ranger Lakes CG the weekend of the 21st. Right in the middle of the closure area on the down side of Cameron Pass. Haven't gotten the cancel notice yet from CPW but no doubt will.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah I ended up just booking a room at an Inn in Centennial, WY instead. We could camp up there, but I won't chance showing up on a Friday anywhere this year without a reservation. So far the Red Feather area is still safe but that's not somewhere I'd want to be stuck if the fire changes directions. Not a lot of ways out.

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update 08.22.20

Fire is now up over 16000 acres and jumped CO 14 and is now burning on the south side Poudre Canyon as well. CO 14 is closed from Rustic to Gould. All of the campgrounds in the Poudre have been closed as far east as the Stove Prairie Road area as well as Bellaire Lake CG outside of Red Feather Lakes (15 miles from the current fire activity). Oddly enough the Ranger Lakes, Bockman and Michigan Lake CGs in the State Forest SP are still open. Fire appears to be moving in an easterly direction, perhaps the reason they are still open.

H E R E is updated information from Incident Command website.

From personal knowledge and experience, there is a LOT of dead beetle kill trees in that area, so there's considerable fuel for the fire. We can only hope for some monsoon moisture to help the firefighters working this fire.

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thom02099 wrote:

From personal knowledge and experience, there is a LOT of dead beetle kill trees in that area, so there's considerable fuel for the fire. We can only hope for some monsoon moisture to help the firefighters working this fire.
My memory is dimming daily, but wasn't there a fire that threatened the Chambers Lake area in maybe the late 80's/early 90's?

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4runnerguy wrote:

Thom02099 wrote:

My memory is dimming daily, but wasn't there a fire that threatened the Chambers Lake area in maybe the late 80's/early 90's?

Hey Ken....you might be thinking of the Kilpecker Fire that was in the late 70s between Red Feather Lakes and the Laramie River Valley. Wasn't all that big in comparison to fires of today's measurement, but was a significant fire at the time. There's still scars from that fire visible west of Red Feather off the Deadman Road and the Green Ridge Road.

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thom02099 wrote:

4runnerguy wrote:

Thom02099 wrote:

Hey Ken....you might be thinking of the Kilpecker Fire that was in the late 70s between Red Feather Lakes and the Laramie River Valley. Wasn't all that big in comparison to fires of today's measurement, but was a significant fire at the time. There's still scars from that fire visible west of Red Feather off the Deadman Road and the Green Ridge Road.
Maybe that's it. I just remember we were going to boondock up the Laramie River Road and it was closed due to a fire. Way too many years ago to remember all the details.

And if you search Chambers Lake and fire, all you get are results for the current fire,

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4runnerguy wrote:

Thom02099 wrote:

4runnerguy wrote:

Thom02099 wrote:

Maybe that's it. I just remember we were going to boondock up the Laramie River Road and it was closed due to a fire. Way too many years ago to remember all the details.

And if you search Chambers Lake and fire, all you get are results for the current fire,

You two - Thom and Ken - have forgotten more than most of us will ever know about Colorado - that said I will always listen to the two of you for the insight on everything in and about Colorado. It is always nice to read what both of you contribute to any discussion on the areas in and around Colorado and the Country.

The banter on a fire some 50 years ago is interesting and entertaining, as few if any of us have that much Local Knowledge on all things Colorado.

Ken may remember some 15 years ago I posted a Picture of Stagecoach Lake trying to remember where the image was - he ID'd it and also gave me a link to the history of the failed Ski Resort that had tried to make a go of it some years ago - Link to Stagecoach Lake Ski Resort - Interesting as that to was some 50 years ago.

Just a shout out to both of you - with a - Thank You - for all you contribute to the Forum.

Bill

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just back from Labour Day weekend in Estes Park. Cameron Peak fire has exploded in size; was 24000 acres on Friday 09.04.20, now at over 40000 acres on Monday 09.07.20. CO 14 remains closed from around Kelly Flats west to Gould.

Yesterday, Sunday 09.06.20 Trail Ridge Rd closed at 3pm for several reasons. Heavy smoke from the fire was creating visibility issues AND the fire had moved into the northern reaches of Rocky. From the Alpine Visitors Center, one could see the fire immediately to the north and it was a frightening sight. Trail Ridge Rd will be closed indefinitely; Old Fall River Rd closed the day before.

There was also an increase in Ranger traffic as well as fire personnel traffic up on Trail Ridge. Was able to get in and make it to the Alpine Visitors Center, staff there warned that all visitors make sure they exited the park on the side on which they wanted to be, as there would be no re-entry to the park for the foreseeable future.

The community of Glen Haven (NE of Estes Park) is under a voluntary evacuation order, as is areas of the Poudre Canyon as far east as the Stove Prairie Rd, and the area around the CSU Mountain Campus. Fire lines have been built to try to protect Red Feather Lakes, Crystal Lakes, and Glacier View Meadows -- all areas more than 10 miles from the current fire location.

Winds were fierce up on Trail Ridge as well as in the town of Estes Park. Trailer was a rockin' in the wind, a bit unsettling this morning.

The GOOD NEWS is that SNOW is forecast for the entire area. Estes Park forecast calling for 7-11 inches of heavy wet snow. Fire location around Cameron Pass is calling for snow around 12-18 inches, whiche will certainly benefit the fire fighting operations. Earliest snow since September 3, 1961.

ETA: H E R E - Cameron Peak Fire is the official information on the fire, which has exploded to nearly 90,000 acres. NINETY THOUSAND. The Larimer County sheriff said that the fire burned 10 miles in a day, and mandatory evacuations are now approaching the Buckhorn Mountain area which is west of Fort Collins.

* This post was edited 09/07/20 06:34pm by Thom02099 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> CO 14/Poudre Canyon Closure-09.07.20 Update
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.