RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: For Alaskans going S... is snowbirding essential travel?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

 > For Alaskans going S... is snowbirding essential travel?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SAR Tracker

Central Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 05/29/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/14/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beaver Creek YT crossing info (including phone)


Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/14/20 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They just extended the border closure for another month this afternoon. My betting is the Canadian government will view going south on vacation as non essential travel. Unless you can prove an address down there, or have something like Az plates, they may not let you drive across. I am a Mexican resident, but I have a feeling that won't cut it for me trying to drive south through the US. Mind you I am only a mile north of the border, so if I try it and can't get across, it is not a huge inconvenience

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/02/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/14/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take the ferry to Seattle and avoid Canada altogether. Canada isn't playing well with others at the moment. lol


2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900


sidney

Alaska

Senior Member

Joined: 07/10/2012

View Profile



Posted: 08/14/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator



I appreciate you posting the info but your link is for the US border station... staffed by US border agents. When you leave AK you drive right past this station without stopping.

The Canadian station is a different facility about 10 miles east of the US station. This is where you are stopped and inspected and granted permission.

I haven’t been able to find a Canadian phone number to contact the Canadian border agents... that is who I need to call.

Maybe one of our Canadian forum members can find the phone number?

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Flyboy320

Tappen, BC

Senior Member

Joined: 05/01/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/14/20 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sidney wrote:



I appreciate you posting the info but your link is for the US border station... staffed by US border agents. When you leave AK you drive right past this station without stopping.

The Canadian station is a different facility about 10 miles east of the US station. This is where you are stopped and inspected and granted permission.

I haven’t been able to find a Canadian phone number to contact the Canadian border agents... that is who I need to call.

Maybe one of our Canadian forum members can find the phone number?

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks


I can only find the US Border Svc number. For the Canadian side I can only find their postal address. May I suggest you call the US Border svc # and see if they have a contact # for the Canadian side. Otherwise you may have to send them a letter ASAP.
Best I can do......

sidney

Alaska

Senior Member

Joined: 07/10/2012

View Profile



Posted: 08/14/20 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flyboy320 wrote:

sidney wrote:



I appreciate you posting the info but your link is for the US border station... staffed by US border agents. When you leave AK you drive right past this station without stopping.

The Canadian station is a different facility about 10 miles east of the US station. This is where you are stopped and inspected and granted permission.

I haven’t been able to find a Canadian phone number to contact the Canadian border agents... that is who I need to call.

Maybe one of our Canadian forum members can find the phone number?

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks


I can only find the US Border Svc number. For the Canadian side I can only find their postal address. May I suggest you call the US Border svc # and see if they have a contact # for the Canadian side. Otherwise you may have to send them a letter ASAP.
Best I can do......


Yes... that's what I ws thinking too... call the US side for the number.

Will see

Thanks for helping

alfredmay

West Milford, NJ / Donna, TX

Senior Member

Joined: 05/18/2002

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 08/15/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't call, write to them. Ask for a response in writing. If the answer is yes then bring the letter with you to the border when you cross. You will then have written permission and there will be no doubt as to who said what on the phone.


Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/15/20 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alfredmay wrote:

Don't call, write to them. Ask for a response in writing. If the answer is yes then bring the letter with you to the border when you cross. You will then have written permission and there will be no doubt as to who said what on the phone.


I would do both. Yes, I would prefer it in writing but fairly good chance a written correspondence goes into a black hole never to be seen again, plus it will probably still include the caviots that the border agent has the final call. If you talk to someone, they will likely give you a more honest answer.

Of course, if you aren't leaving for a month or more, the rules can always change.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


Flyboy320

Tappen, BC

Senior Member

Joined: 05/01/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/15/20 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sidney wrote:

Flyboy320 wrote:

sidney wrote:



I appreciate you posting the info but your link is for the US border station... staffed by US border agents. When you leave AK you drive right past this station without stopping.

The Canadian station is a different facility about 10 miles east of the US station. This is where you are stopped and inspected and granted permission.

I haven’t been able to find a Canadian phone number to contact the Canadian border agents... that is who I need to call.

Maybe one of our Canadian forum members can find the phone number?

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks


I can only find the US Border Svc number. For the Canadian side I can only find their postal address. May I suggest you call the US Border svc # and see if they have a contact # for the Canadian side. Otherwise you may have to send them a letter ASAP.
Best I can do......


Yes... that's what I ws thinking too... call the US side for the number.

Will see

Thanks for helping


OK...looked on CBSA website...general info/ questions. 1-800-461-9999 or contact@cbsa.gc.ca

They should be able to give you info and Beaver Creek phone #.

Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/15/20 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is this. It indicates it is possible.

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services........transiting-through-canada-to-alaska.html

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

 > For Alaskans going S... is snowbirding essential travel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.