RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: For Alaskans going S... is snowbirding essential travel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> For Alaskans going S... is snowbirding essential travel?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no mention of allowing entry from Alaska.

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To OP,

If they say no, what is your fall back plan?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

Flyboy320

Tappen, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moisheh wrote:

There is no mention of allowing entry from Alaska.

There is this one paragraph mid way down the article which covers it.

These measures also apply to foreign nationals transiting to the U.S. through Canada from Alaska. However, entry into Canada from Alaska on the northern border is not limited to designated POEs. Additional measures might be imposed at time of entry by a border services officer (BSO).

sidney

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 11:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you!

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wording "this measure also applies" would mean that the "measure" is for non discretionary travel such as work related or returning to your residence. I doubt you could convince them that going to your rv for the winter would fit the intent of the rule
We all know that the concept of living in an rv confuses border personell. The rules are far too restrictive and almost ambiguous.They are not even allowing families to attend funerals across the border.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest you get a very recent COVID test before the crossing and bring those test results (negative, hopefully) with you.

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know one fellow who lives in Mexico and currently has his temporary resident card and working on his permanent resident card in Mexico; he is visiting close friends in BC Canada to take care of some personal business and now wants to drive back home to San Miguel, and the US Border Patrol won't let him through to return home, even when showing them all the residency paper work. If the US back in March allowed all Canadians to cross into the US to go home, why would the US not allow him to cross into the US so that he can also go home to Mexico? Just doesn't make any sense.

FULLTIMEWANABE

De Winton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 01:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

charlestonsouthern wrote:

I know one fellow who lives in Mexico and currently has his temporary resident card and working on his permanent resident card in Mexico; he is visiting close friends in BC Canada to take care of some personal business and now wants to drive back home to San Miguel, and the US Border Patrol won't let him through to return home, even when showing them all the residency paper work. If the US back in March allowed all Canadians to cross into the US to go home, why would the US not allow him to cross into the US so that he can also go home to Mexico? Just doesn't make any sense.

When did he cross into Canada? Assuming post mid March I'm guessing he came in on a Canadian passport? What passport is he carrying? Just saying if Canadian that might be why and unless he has an official employment letter with start/resume date in Mexico or return date, they might not deem it essential travel. Everything so up in the air right now, which brings me to the fact that we can't drive across the border as non essential, yet we can fly to select US cities and as Canadian not be quarantined. Go figure. Plane bubble versus personal auto bubble = I know which one I'd feel safer with.

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Full time, yes, he has a Canadian Passport (just like you possibly do) but he has a resident card in Mexico with Mexico plates on his car and is retired but has his retirement investments in Canada; there are many Canadians whose home is in Mexico via a resident card. The only thing I can come up with is for him to pay a visit to the US Consulate in BC and discuss what he should do.

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Full time, he crossed in early March and did his quarantine alone in a borrowed friend's apartment.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> For Alaskans going S... is snowbirding essential travel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.