|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Pin Box with Air

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you that have a pin box with an air bag, do you pressurize after hooking up to the PSI you like and then release the air before unhooking or do you just leave it pumped up to the PSI you like all the time and just check to make sure the pressure is where you want it before you tow again. The reason I ask is because I have a Reese elite airborne Sidewinder that has an air bag. If I try to connect with it pumped up, I can't get the jaws on my B&W Patriot to close tight without some effort. If no pressure in the air bag, it hitches up fine. Being new to having an air bag, I'm not sure when I'm supposed to inflate/deflate the bag. Reese recommends 40 PSI Minimum and 70 PSI Maximum Thanks.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had the AirRide pinbox for almost a year now leave it inflated all the time. I've found it's a little trickier to unhitch mine compared to a standard pinbox because of the pin's angle when it's inflated. Perhaps if you start with the trailer a little lower so that it can ride up onto the saddle(?) a bit.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 65 Nights

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY - I don't have an air spring "pin box" but have B&W 5th wheel. Are the jaws not closing because the pin is too far out of "plumb" (vertical "level") with the jaws?

Does the air spring in the pin box force it nose down? This is an unnatural angle for a pin and 5th wheel to try to hitch.

If yes then you need to adjust whatever so the upper 5th (pin and plate) are in a reasonably close plane with your 5th wheel ("hitch"), or tilt the 5th wheel front down a bit with a bungee or something so it planes to the pin box as you back in. Don't strap it solid let it rock.

Also making sure you are backed in with a bit of pressure on the front of the pin allows the jaws to close freely. Set some weight on the truck and push on the trailer gently.

As you know the B&W does not need to be slammed into the pin to lock up. The lever & pin locks it.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had a 5th Airborne air ride pin box for 10+ years. I air it up to the line after I first hookup in the spring and never let air out. I may have to add a little a time or two during the travel season to get back to the line.

I have a Reese Elite hitch with the wrap around jaw and there is never a problem hitching or unhitching with the pin box aired up. Had a Pullrite Super 5th hitch on my previous truck, also with wrap around jaw, and never a problem with that one either. The pin box plate rocks forward and aft and self aligns with the pin box plate as I back into it, or when I pull out to unhitch. The pin box plate should be an inch or so below the level of the hitch plate so that the pin box rides up on the hitch plate to ensure that self alignment and easy hitching. Or down off of when unhitching.

* This post was edited 08/15/20 09:27am by BB_TX *

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

RobWNY - I don't have an air spring "pin box" but have B&W 5th wheel. Are the jaws not closing because the pin is too far out of "plumb" (vertical "level") with the jaws?

Does the air spring in the pin box force it nose down? This is an unnatural angle for a pin and 5th wheel to try to hitch.

If yes then you need to adjust whatever so the upper 5th (pin and plate) are in a reasonably close plane with your 5th wheel ("hitch"), or tilt the 5th wheel front down a bit with a bungee or something so it planes to the pin box as you back in. Don't strap it solid let it rock.

Also making sure you are backed in with a bit of pressure on the front of the pin allows the jaws to close freely. Set some weight on the truck and push on the trailer gently.

As you know the B&W does not need to be slammed into the pin to lock up. The lever & pin locks it.

Yes. What happens when the air bag is filled to the desired PSI, the pin itself gets cocked forward on an angle. So when you hitch up, the jaws don't completely close naturally like they do with a standard king pin. Here's a crude drawing that shows what I mean.
[image]

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an air hitch with a standard pin box so I have the same issue only in reverse. I approach my hitch and stop before the jaws hit the kingpin. I then raise my front landing gear which lowers the front of the trailer and compresses the hitch so that the ride plates marry. I then back completely into the kingpin and the jaws snick into place. I adjust my air pressure at the beginning of the season and don't deal with it until the following year.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rob - BB_TX and Durb describe what works - get some weight on the 5th wheel from the pin as you couple up so the upper and lower plates plane out.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. I'll give that a try. Hopefully that solves my issue!

Splashers3

Oakville, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rob - I have a trailair and the B&W Patriot....and as been said, I put some weight on the plate and let her slide up and in....she locks with no problems.

I also leave the airbag inflated, but usually add some air before I head out - especially if she sits for a few weeks.

2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Splashers3 wrote:

Rob - I have a trailair and the B&W Patriot....and as been said, I put some weight on the plate and let her slide up and in....she locks with no problems.

I also leave the airbag inflated, but usually add some air before I head out - especially if she sits for a few weeks.

Thanks! I get rails installed in my new truck on the 18th so I'll be giving that a try this coming week to see if it solves my issue.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Pin Box with Air
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.