RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roof Care and Maintenance suggestions. SEE Finally Update NEED HELP!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Roof Care and Maintenance suggestions. SEE Finally Update NEED HELP!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/20 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scooter Alfa wrote:

Time for some Henry's 887 silicon roof coating. Look it up. you will be more than happy. I replaced the roof once too. Didn't last at all, 5 years. I will never do that again. Get the Henry's 887 Silicon. Its made for RV'S.

I just looked up the Henry's coating.
I need to do my roof was dreading having to hang plastic to protect the finish on the walls from the Dicor chemical prep.

Looked into the henry that you suggested and no need to clean with any caustic chemical cleaner. Just use a pressure washer.
Cost for 5 gal of Henry is about the same as 2 gal of Dicor and 2 qts of Dicor chemical prep.

I am ordering the Henry's.
Thanks for that tip!

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/20 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NJRVer,
Please let us know how it works out for you.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/20 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've done two of my rv roofs with Henry. Previous fiver with 287 and it held up great even in the Phx area for 5 yrs before I sold it. Best things... It stayed very white, had texture-not so slippery, and NO more streaks on the sides.
I did my current fiver last year with 587. It's more reflective than 287 and I can tell the difference, big time! We've camped in hot areas this year, set the t stat on 77 and the one 15k AC cools to set point very easily and it cycles nicely. I also sealed the AC return plenum and wrapped it with FG last year but I think the Henry 587 made the most improvement.
I pressure washed the loose stuff off the rubber, hand scrubbed with scotch brite pad/tsp solution for a great prep for the coating w/o needing any primer. Then fixed all caulk with dicor NON leveling and seams with eterna bond and then two heavy coats of 587. The Henry 887 is all silicone and even more reflective so it's probably worth the extra bucks. Craig

I'll take a recoated roof over the original chalky rubber any day, any time!
[image]

* This post was edited 08/24/20 08:46pm by C Schomer *

2012 Dodge dually diesel. CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WHOEVER INVENTED WORK DIDN'T HAVE AN RV!

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

NJRVer,
Please let us know how it works out for you.
Barney

Will do, but I found out the top rubber sweep weatherstrip on my slide somehow did not flip back into position about 1 foot from one end. With all the shutdowns I had not even opened the camper up this year until now.
It ended up letting the water run down the wall and onto the floor. Now I have a big floor replacement job ahead.

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/20 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C Schomer wrote:

I've done two of my rv roofs with Henry. Previous fiver with 287 and it held up great even in the Phx area for 5 yrs before I sold it. Best things... It stayed very white, had texture-not so slippery, and NO more streaks on the sides.
I did my current fiver last year with 587. It's more reflective than 287 and I can tell the difference, big time! We've camped in hot areas this year, set the t stat on 77 and the one 15k AC cools to set point very easily and it cycles nicely. I also sealed the AC return plenum and wrapped it with FG last year but I think the Henry 587 made the most improvement.
I pressure washed the loose stuff off the rubber, hand scrubbed with scotch brite pad/tsp solution for a great prep for the coating w/o needing any primer. Then fixed all caulk with dicor NON leveling and seams with eterna bond and then two heavy coats of 587. The Henry 887 is all silicone and even more reflective so it's probably worth the extra bucks. Craig

Home Depot had the 587 for $89 for the 5gal. However somebody asked in their questions section about using it and the Henry rep answered that he recommended Henry 887 for wet areas.
Now maybe I'm thinking of using the 887.

* This post was edited 08/28/20 09:19am by an administrator/moderator *

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C Schomer wrote:

You do good work - wish I had a nice, clean dry place to store my trailers.

* This post was edited 08/28/20 09:19am by an administrator/moderator *

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, it IS a lot of work but SOOO rewarding and it's better than new! I've talked to them and I got the same thing... 287, 587 aren't recommended for rvs but 887 is. Actually a roofing supplier on west Buckeye Rd. in Phx recommended the 287 when I did my previous 5er about 13 years ago. I know the cheaper ones work fine but like I said... after seeing how much reflectivity helps, I'd happily get the all silicone 887 for whatever extra $$. 5 gals will do two rvs so see if you can find a partner to split it. Craig

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HD had it for $239 for 5gal.

* This post was edited 08/28/20 02:30pm by an administrator/moderator *

Ron Nielson

Berryton, KS

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many gallons of Henrys 887 to properly do a 30'(Arctic fox) 5th wheel?

SamanthaNichols

2046 Hillcrest Drive Tacoma, WA 98402

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thought I would scrub off the bulk of the grime with Dawn detergent and hot water... I scrubbed my butt off. Then applied B.E.S.T., it came even cleaner. I then skipped using the Dawn for the next section and B.E.S.T. worked great. I still scrubbed with a nylon brush, but it came cleaner with one step. Also, I guess the protective coating is a film of somewhat slippery material, so be careful while on the roof. I guess time will tell how well the protective coating works.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Roof Care and Maintenance suggestions. SEE Finally Update NEED HELP!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.