RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Who is a Full Timer with a Camper?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Who is a Full Timer with a Camper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wildman4x4

Cle Elum

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

FYI: The Lance does not have a tall basement like the other three. The floor start above the wheel wells rather than over the bed rails. You will have a larger climb in and out of bed and minimal basement storage compared to the other three.

If you plan to turn this into a redneck toy hauler, have you considered buying a travel trailer that could have the axle(s) pulled out and then set on your goose neck trailer? They are much less expensive and there are more floor plan choices.

I sometimes wish I had gotten a Ram 5500 but at the time when I was buying my current truck I was in a hurry. My old truck was fixin to breakdown so I got my Ram 3500 DRW. And yes I know the Lance has a lower floor height which is why they are at the bottom of my list. If I was to win the Lotto I'd deck out a awesome Host and get a Ram5500 with a custom bed.

Yes I have look at travel trailers and 5th wheel but the issue then becomes the overall length. If I was to get a 20' travel trailer I would then need a 36-38' deck behind the trailer for the Jeep and bike. Now my trailer is just getting way too long.
I had also been looking for a shorter toyhauler trailer so I could park the bike inside. But there aren't any I have found that would work how I have imagined.

I'm hoping to buy a camper in the next 2-4 months and use it on my truck for now and then 2-3 years when I'm ready to hit the road I can either make my RNTH or get something else that would work.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/20 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If looking at tag toy haulers that maximize space, look for ones with an open floor plan and either a front bath or kitchen. My Weekend Warrior FB2200 was 22' and had 16' of convertible cargo space. It was heavy due to the large tanks and big generator but we needed even more space and better insulation than a SoCal built RV.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

wildman4x4

Cle Elum

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

If looking at tag toy haulers that maximize space, look for ones with an open floor plan and either a front bath or kitchen. My Weekend Warrior FB2200 was 22' and had 16' of convertible cargo space. It was heavy due to the large tanks and big generator but we needed even more space and better insulation than a SoCal built RV.

The problem with most toy haulers is that they are not rated to carry the amount of weight that I am wanting to carry. Most only have a 4K lb cargo or less. I need one that will carry 6-7K lbs of cargo if not 8k lbs. Which is why I make my own RNTH.

EYEMLOST

See Above

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildman4x4 wrote:

Bedlam wrote:

FYI: The Lance does not have a tall basement like the other three. The floor start above the wheel wells rather than over the bed rails. You will have a larger climb in and out of bed and minimal basement storage compared to the other three.

If you plan to turn this into a redneck toy hauler, have you considered buying a travel trailer that could have the axle(s) pulled out and then set on your goose neck trailer? They are much less expensive and there are more floor plan choices.

I sometimes wish I had gotten a Ram 5500 but at the time when I was buying my current truck I was in a hurry. My old truck was fixin to breakdown so I got my Ram 3500 DRW. And yes I know the Lance has a lower floor height which is why they are at the bottom of my list. If I was to win the Lotto I'd deck out a awesome Host and get a Ram5500 with a custom bed.

Yes I have look at travel trailers and 5th wheel but the issue then becomes the overall length. If I was to get a 20' travel trailer I would then need a 36-38' deck behind the trailer for the Jeep and bike. Now my trailer is just getting way too long.
I had also been looking for a shorter toyhauler trailer so I could park the bike inside. But there aren't any I have found that would work how I have imagined.

I'm hoping to buy a camper in the next 2-4 months and use it on my truck for now and then 2-3 years when I'm ready to hit the road I can either make my RNTH or get something else that would work.

Any updates on your camper decision?

1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Little late to the conversation but M2C is the bigger the better if your full timing. In my 1181 which in its day was the big model, my wife, me and two little dogs are squeezed pretty tight. I couldn't do it. With that said I travel by myself at times and I alone would be just fine. I tow a very small Bayliner Capri so the 1500 lbs. isn't an issue but I have towed my big pontoon from my house to the shore about an hour away and it was nail biting time. I had a coachman ranger before this one and I would never buy a rear door again. I just liked it better but either a rea or side door had no bearing on the towing.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just coming in to this post, I would recomend you build another RNTH. and I would also say if you do that stay with a rear exit. the reason for this is when you unload the bike and jeep, you will have a wonderfull deck you can sit on with your lawn chairs and such. realy a nice long flatdeck with a nice double slide or even tripple slide rear entey camper mounted on it. that would be a pretty nice size apartment with a deck area for one or two people. depending on the hight of the flat deck you could probably even undersling a few extra tanks for fresh,black and grey water to extend outings. plus if you do it with a 5th wheel hitch it is simple as heck to disconect when you need the truck.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/21 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildman4x4 wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

This forum build it wisdom (or not) over the years and you want to come to easy conclusion in matter of minutes?.
20 years ago triple slides did not exist.
First TC slides come around year 2001 and were single slides only.
So far you only answer the 6' question.
So will 8' with no slide satisfy you? even they don't come with side entry.
How about 8' with single slide? (even if they exist)

I've answered a lot of these questions already I thought.
But to recap my experiance with TC again.

First camper I owned was in 2005. It was a short bed S&S model with a wet bath. I never used the shower in that camper but camped a lot with it and figured out quickly that I would like more room.

I still had a short bed truck and trying to find a decent sized camper for a SB truck is HARD. So I came up with another idea.

I bought a Adventurer camper with a single slide. But it was made for a long bed truck. Instead of buying a new truck I decided to build myself a Red Neck Toy Hauler (RNTH).

I mounted the camper on the nose of a gooseneck trailer.

[image]

[image]

[image]

So based on my experiance with this I have made my choices in a new camper. I no longer own my RNTH as I listened to a ex-wife who wanted a MH instead. Never again.

I know that a camper with no slides won't be comfortable for me and I also know that other than one model of a single slide camper would it be comfortable for me.

So I want a camper with 2 or more slides and either come with some type of recliner or have a spot where I can install a recliner.
I am not going into any of this blind nor do I not have any experiance with campers and other forms of RV's.
My choices are based upon some knowledge.

But what does my choice in campers have to do with asking for others experiance with full timing in a camper?

I have 2 friends who full time in a TC and both of them have single slide campers with a rear door entrance.
I know from my experiance that I want a camper with a side entrance and a minimum of 2 slides.

Wildman, Does one have to be a redneck to own something like this? Was it longer than 54 feet? Have you ever been turned away from a campground with this rig? I LOVE IT. I could put my little bay liner right in back there and it would work perfect. Thanks for the Pics, Joe

EYEMLOST

See Above

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes; rock crawlers are pretty imaginative when it come to hauling their stuff. [emoticon] [emoticon]

Longshore

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/21 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wildman, there is a youtube couple who full time in a Lance 1025, I believe, with a little dog, and seem to love it. Destination Open Road. I think they are looking to upsize though.

You might find some of their stuff interesting. Thank you for answering the call.

brholt

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess we qualify. We are now beginning our full time travels in a truck camper (F350 DRW, AF1150). The house is empty, the house contents have been reduced to valuable or sentimental items and packed into a container which gets picked up Friday to go into storage until it’s shipped to where we decide to settle in a number of years. We are in the process of selling the house, and we moved in the camper 3 nights ago. We means my wife and I, two Golden Retrievers, and two cats.

Although one never knows for sure we have taken a number of multi-month trips that gives us confidence we know what to expect. We had an AF1150 for the past 9 years in doing these trips and last year looked at upgrading our TC in anticipation of going full-time. I might note that we looked but never seriously considered other kinds of RV’s because we liked the size and flexibility the TC’s offer.

We looked at Host, Lance, and Eagle Cap but kept coming back to AF and their 1150.
We had never felt cramped with the full wall slide of the AF1150 before and with the changes Northwood made (more ceiling room in the bedroom, cathedral ceiling everywhere else) it felt even more roomy. We ordered a new 1150 in March and finally got it in October, We took a 7,000+ mile trip from 12/2/20 to 2/3/21 as a shake down trip. Things went very well and we really liked the more roomy feeling of our new AF.

Some examples of our system we have developed over the years.

In the truck in the backseat we have Fords underseat and behind seat storage, “footwell” storage boxes (Orvis) and then another layer of boxes (Frontrunner Wolf and Cub packs) over the rear seat and footwell boxes. There is then a cover and dog beds allowing the dogs to ride on top (with “seatbelt” straps to their harnesses). They get a good view and we get a lot of a storage. Downside is some digging to get at stuff but if you think about it there is a lot of stuff that is “seasonal” or used only rarely, e.g. an 18 volt power drill). And we still have the ability to use the rear seat with some work.

The truck has an armored storage “vault” in the center console to allow us to keep valuables reasonably safe.

Speaking of tools, tape, glue and repair and emergency stuff we have a small selection of the most commonly used in the camper and a wider selection of less commonly used, e.g. sockets, in the truck.

We use Eagle Creek medium packing cubes for clothes in the “hampers” Northwood puts beside the beds. You can get 12 cubes in those storage hampers so one cube for socks, one for underwear, one for .... you get the idea. Very convenient and easy to use as you can see what is in the cubes and we have multiple colors cubes as well. The smaller packing cubes work great in the overhead rack above the “hampers”.

In the rear hitch we have an aluminum storage rack where we carry a Clam Quickset screen room with wall panels as well as a outdoor mat and assorted other things.

I could go on but it is pretty amazing how much “stuff” you can pack into a truck and the AF1150 and not fell cramped. One more example. Our cats are older and one is in early kidney failure so he gets fluids inserted under his skin everyday. So we are carrying 15 bags of one litter saline solution for him.

I could go on but we think A TC is an ideal full time set up for us. We are small so we fit everywhere. No worries about parking or getting into a gas station. Campground may be full for the 40 ft fifth wheel but it amazing how many places can squeeze in our 25 ft unit. With 4 wheel drive and decent ground clearance we can get into and out of lots of places other RV’s can’t (and the Autosocks we carry let us handle snow and ice like a champ as we experienced this January in the mountains of California). Between the truck and the camper we have plenty of storage. 385 watts of solar and a built in generator give us all the power we need, Tanks are big enough to give us good self contained capacity. And when we stay somewhere for awhile we can just drop the camper and run around with the truck.

Who knows, maybe a year from know we will be singing a different tune, but at the moment we are excited and looking forward to traveling a North American with our truck camper,

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Who is a Full Timer with a Camper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.