RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Who is a Full Timer with a Camper?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Who is a Full Timer with a Camper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I along with 2 cats full timed in a Northstar Igloo for a couple of years. That ended basically because of the pull of new grandkids.

Anyway, I do not understand what your questions are. I did get it that you have physical limitations but I doubt I can be of any help with that consideration.

Personally I have some definite preferences. I would not want a camper with any slides. I don't want the excess weight and I want full use of the camper without setting up and extending slides. I like to pull over mid day or several times a day when traveling have lunch and take a short nap. I have also done quite a bit of stealth camping and camping in tight areas where a slide would not work.

I also strongly prefer a wet bath and a cassette toilet. Your preferences seem totally different. I would not want to travel with an extra jeep, bike, and 50 gallon fuel tank.

BTW, you do not need to wait if you want to travel with a dog.

wildman4x4

Cle Elum

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

My wife and I along with 2 cats full timed in a Northstar Igloo for a couple of years. That ended basically because of the pull of new grandkids.

Anyway, I do not understand what your questions are. I did get it that you have physical limitations but I doubt I can be of any help with that consideration.

Personally I have some definite preferences. I would not want a camper with any slides. I don't want the excess weight and I want full use of the camper without setting up and extending slides. I like to pull over mid day or several times a day when traveling have lunch and take a short nap. I have also done quite a bit of stealth camping and camping in tight areas where a slide would not work.

I also strongly prefer a wet bath and a cassette toilet. Your preferences seem totally different. I would not want to travel with an extra jeep, bike, and 50 gallon fuel tank.

BTW, you do not need to wait if you want to travel with a dog.

My questions are simple....
Who has full timed in a truck camper of ANY type? Can you share your experiences with me and any things you learned?
What was your setup and WHY? What would you change? What if anything did you wish you'd had?

Yes for some having a simple TC to crawl into and eat lunch or take a nap is all you want. I'm looking a head to those times I can't be sitting outside due to weather or other issues and need to stay inside. So a TC with more floorspace is going to be more comfortable.
I'm not sure what me wanting to take my toys with me matters?
I have spent most of my adult life reading about all these places to go 4Wheelin or touring on a bike. So I am finally going to do that.

Yes I KNOW I can RV with a dog. BUT if I have to leave my RV for 12+ hours or say take a sightseeing trip on the bike for 2-3 days the dog is going to leave a MESS in my RV by the time I get back.

Thanks for the replies.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/20 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have already formed your ideas. My experience would be of no use to you.

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thedavidzoo said he was fulltiming. Maybe he’ll provide some input. Unfortunately, they don’t create RVs that shrink and grow or trailers that do that either. Also, there are different types of fulltiming. Some move around farely regularly and some mostly stay in one area but for extended periods and just happen to live in an RV.

If you use google, you’ll also find some other people who discuss their fulltiming rigs including how they outfit with solar. I don’t get the benefit of a TC if you will bring a ton of things with you and make your rig very long. Sure, as a temporary measure, but in that case, it would be good to do without the extra stuff as well.

Pets make this much harder, but you could kennel/board your pet in those rare occasions where you will be gone for a few days. You would need a plan in any case if you were hospitalized for a few days which is pretty easy to happen.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

thedavidzoo

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 - you must have me confused with someone else as we are not fulltiming. We are considering it in the future though, when both sons are finished with college!

wildman4x4 - thanks for your service and sacrifice. 30 years retired Army here.

2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Full timing is a big step with so many things to consider..Getting mail is one as well as internet for banking etc..Some rent a storage unit for stuff/tools-How many will you take to get by.Tire chains for winter/ladders/shovels etc the list goes on and things get heavy for a TC.

As a short example..I have never weighed the 10,000 GVWR my truck has with my Lance 9.6 non-slide truck camper until this last trip..My wife took everything out of the cupboards and re-stocked the camper from the house..I weighed before I left..10,660 pounds[emoticon]

But I should ad,we had everything needed to full time..

Just to ad,we full timed in a 35' Jayco FL also..I was really limited on where I could go and in the winter,things got scary sometimes pulling it but lot's of room..My opinion only,rigs that long are for RV parks not dispersed camping..

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thedavidzoo wrote:

jimh425 - you must have me confused with someone else as we are not fulltiming. We are considering it in the future though, when both sons are finished with college!

No, I don’t have you confused with someone else, but I guess I took you shopping for going fulltime including discussions about the sutiabitlity for fulltiming as you were going fulltime shortly after buying. Good call for waiting until your sons are finished with school.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Than I would wonder how many campgrounds will allow 40' goose neck?

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Than I would wonder how many campgrounds will allow 40' goose neck?

Maybe convert to 5th wheel?

wildman4x4

Cle Elum

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess we all have different ideas of how we want to spend our time. I have always been a motorhead and been into Jeeps. I blame that on my grandpa as he had a Jeep and took me hunting and camping as a kid.
I enjoy hitting the trails in my Jeep and there are TONS of trails all over the USA that I have never been to or driven. So yes I am going to bring my toys with me when I start to travel.

Now when I was younger I use to hike and backpack a LOT. Been all over the PNW on foot. Then 28 years in the military helped me walk a lot more. Now I would rather drive to those spots.

I don't get what the big deal is. All I wanted to know was if people full timed in a camper and for them to share those experiences. Why does it matter what I take with me?

As far as getting my setup into a camp spot? Yes I have been to places where a larger motorhome/5th Wheel/trailer wouldn't fit. So you move on and find some place where you can fit.

Thanks again for the replies and I'll move on now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Who is a Full Timer with a Camper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.