RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Who is a Full Timer with a Camper?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Who is a Full Timer with a Camper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/20/20 02:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wild man, idk what it is, but so many members of this forum can’t wait to sht on someone’s parade....
I call it GOMS. Grumpy old man syndrome!


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/20/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildman4x4 wrote:

....
I don't get what the big deal is. All I wanted to know was if people full timed in a camper and for them to share those experiences. Why does it matter what I take with me?

As far as getting my setup into a camp spot? Yes I have been to places where a larger motorhome/5th Wheel/trailer wouldn't fit. So you move on and find some place where you can fit.

Thanks again for the replies and I'll move on now.


Glad you are moving on. Here is the "big deal". You asked for input from those of us who had full time experience but you have no interest in learning from those experiences. You have already made up you mind on every issue. It is not really a big deal but I feel like I wasted my time responding to your thread.

Reality Check

North Bend

Senior Member

Joined: 08/29/2007

View Profile



Posted: 08/20/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

wildman4x4 wrote:

....
I don't get what the big deal is. All I wanted to know was if people full timed in a camper and for them to share those experiences. Why does it matter what I take with me?

As far as getting my setup into a camp spot? Yes I have been to places where a larger motorhome/5th Wheel/trailer wouldn't fit. So you move on and find some place where you can fit.

Thanks again for the replies and I'll move on now.


Glad you are moving on. Here is the "big deal". You asked for input from those of us who had full time experience but you have no interest in learning from those experiences. You have already made up you mind on every issue. It is not really a big deal but I feel like I wasted my time responding to your thread.


I was thinking about this last night; the op sounded frustrated with the various responses. Here's the kicker: when one posts something on a public forum, it's fair game. One cannot 'direct' the conversation.

Wildman, you received quite a few responses, and I'm guessing you could have gotten alot more, but folks can read between the lines, as I did. I also thought after reading several of your posts that your mind was set and you were looking more for confirmation than anything else. Have at it...but there is a wealth of knowledge, some is pretty good stuff, a lot learned by the school of hard knocks, all worth at least listening to. Even our resident PITA know it all offers some really sound advice at times.


'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!


bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

Senior Member

Joined: 01/15/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/20/20 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is odd. . .on the full timer's (Escapee's RV Club) forum you posted this:

Quote:

Is it just not as popular or is there another reason truck campers aren't listed in the RV Type section? Just curious since I would like to discuss different brands and models.


And on this forum, you want to discuss full timing? It seems to me a little odd.

There is at least one full time Truck Camper person on the Escapee's forum (Vladmir if IIRC). There is where you should post your question.

And HERE is where you should ask about different brands and models.
Or so it seems to me. . .


2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

wildman4x4

Cle Elum

New Member

Joined: 01/14/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/21/20 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:



Glad you are moving on. Here is the "big deal". You asked for input from those of us who had full time experience but you have no interest in learning from those experiences. You have already made up you mind on every issue. It is not really a big deal but I feel like I wasted my time responding to your thread.


I debated all day as to if I should make any other comments since it appears my comments are being misinterpreted.

I apologize to all if I have offended anyone.

jimh425

Western MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 08/21/20 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildman4x4 wrote:

I debated all day as to if I should make any other comments since it appears my comments are being misinterpreted.

I apologize to all if I have offended anyone.


Don’t worry about it. It’s the internet. People get upset all of the time.


'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.


wildman4x4

Cle Elum

New Member

Joined: 01/14/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/21/20 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:



Don’t worry about it. It’s the internet. People get upset all of the time.


Thanks & yep the internet always seems to do that.


BTW,
How do you like your Host camper? From what I have seen and read about them they are at the top of my list for possible TC's.

My list would go something like this:

1) Host
2) Chalet
3) Eagle Cap
4) Lance

I know Chalet isn't making TC's any longer but while they were they made some very nice units.
I like the Eagle Cap 1165 first and the Eagle Cap 1200 next. But the fit and finish in the Eagle Cap isn't on par with Host.

The Lance 1172 is a nice unit.

jimh425

Western MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 08/21/20 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildman4x4 wrote:

How do you like your Host camper? From what I have seen and read about them they are at the top of my list for possible TC's.


It’s been a good camper for us. We bought it new, and still don’t have any regrets.

Bedlam

PNW

Moderator

Joined: 06/13/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/21/20 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do not full time, but we get away as much as we can with me still working full time. We are on our second truck camper and fifth RV, so we had a pretty good idea what works for us and what does not. I am on the wet side of the state and actually looking at property close to you for my retirement. We plan to keep a home but travel more once the anchor of work is off me. We prefer a dry bath so we can hang wet clothes to dry in the shower and still have a bathroom to use. We like sitting at a large table for meals so chose a U-shaped dinette that can be a lounger (also works as a portable office). Our current camper has loveseat with leg rest to relax or watch a movie at night. I went with a class 5 truck due to the 4-ton enclosed trailer I tow behind my 3-ton triple-slide camper. A class 3 is just too limited by the rear axle capacity for me to make it work reliably or safely. The added bonus of going to a class 5 truck was the ability to put storage boxes on the truck and still have enough capacity to carry things in them. I have two boxes full of batteries, a box for an outdoor kitchen, a box for outdoor furniture, a box for tools and box for exterior hookups and cleaning. My trailer can carry an additional 100 lbs of propane, 25 gallons of gasoline, 84 gallons of fresh water, 30 gallons of gray water and even more batteries in addition to toys we want bring along for that trip. I am not ready to pare down the fun yet, so we load only what we want for a trip and leave the rest at home.


Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200


Bedlam

PNW

Moderator

Joined: 06/13/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/21/20 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildman4x4 wrote:

jimh425 wrote:



Don’t worry about it. It’s the internet. People get upset all of the time.


Thanks & yep the internet always seems to do that.


BTW,
How do you like your Host camper? From what I have seen and read about them they are at the top of my list for possible TC's.

My list would go something like this:

1) Host
2) Chalet
3) Eagle Cap
4) Lance

I know Chalet isn't making TC's any longer but while they were they made some very nice units.
I like the Eagle Cap 1165 first and the Eagle Cap 1200 next. But the fit and finish in the Eagle Cap isn't on par with Host.

The Lance 1172 is a nice unit.

FYI: The Lance does not have a tall basement like the other three. The floor start above the wheel wells rather than over the bed rails. You will have a larger climb in and out of bed and minimal basement storage compared to the other three.

If you plan to turn this into a redneck toy hauler, have you considered buying a travel trailer that could have the axle(s) pulled out and then set on your goose neck trailer? They are much less expensive and there are more floor plan choices.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Who is a Full Timer with a Camper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.