|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Campsite Squatters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Freep wrote:

Being rude is not against the law either, and yet most people have a problem with that.

If you think most people agree with you, feel free to get the rules changed.

Are you trying to be insulting or is it just my interpretation?

My point was that not all civilized behavior toward each other necessarily requires rules. Rules are generally created when people start acting in ways that abuse the trust that was given.

Obviously BLM and FS dispersed camping rules don't mean you can use recreation lands that belong to all of us to store your stuff and hog the best spots that others could be using.

2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

LewBob

On the road again

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apparently in the Moab area of the Manti-La Sal NF, boondocking campers are being notified that rigs can be left unoccupied a maximum of 72 hours. How that is being enforced, or if it is, I don't know, but it has been officially recognized as a problem.

Lew
2015 Casita Freedom Deluxe
2012 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost
"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." --Bob Seger (Against the Wind)

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is new is the amount of people squatting on public land. They are in FS campgrounds and all over the country side. There are a lot of displaced people in America right now. It was bad before Covid 19 and now it is setting records.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freep wrote:

Take a deep breath or two.

I think it’s your interpretation just like I think it’s your interpretation of how those other campers are supposed to act. Somehow, you think everyone has to agree with how you think those areas should be used.

I’d just go explore and find other places to camp if it bothers you that much. You might find that you like those other places better away from the crowds.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

jimh425 wrote:

Unless they are violating the time requirement, I don’t see the issue.

Agreed. Happens all the time. We have left the camper on site for several days and gone off backpacking in the mountains.
Can’t worry about everything.

RI - your situation is different. You are still there as a homebase. This thread is about going up and leaving your rig to reserve a dispersed site.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Complaining about it to people on a forum isn't productive...

What are you going to DO about it? What CAN you do about it?

You can complain to the folks in charge. If they choose to ignore the issue, there's not much else you can do. Find another campsite.

I've never understood this human need to be in places where you're clearly not welcome/wanted.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

16 days is the limit here on FS and BLM land.

I don't like it but there sure are a lot of people who do.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/20 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freep wrote:

jimh425 wrote:

Freep wrote:

Being rude is not against the law either, and yet most people have a problem with that.

If you think most people agree with you, feel free to get the rules changed.

My point was that not all civilized behavior toward each other necessarily requires rules. Rules are generally created when people start acting in ways that abuse the trust that was given.

Obviously BLM and FS dispersed camping rules don't mean you can use recreation lands that belong to all of us to store your stuff and hog the best spots that others could be using.

I feel your pain jimh425.

Somewhere along the road, some people lost, in their upbringing, the difference between 'right' and 'wrong', or treating others as you wish to be treated. Simple lessons, but too easily forgotten or never taught.

Leaving RVs at campsites on off days happens in the great North Woods of Maine, too. Have seen this action many times while camping in this beautiful state. During moose season hunting, it is almost impossible to find a spot that is unoccupied because many people set up their rigs many days before their scheduled hunts.

I just keep my mouth shut and move on to another less desirable location. Kindness within human nature appears to headed south.

Lakeside

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Freep wrote:

I think it’s your interpretation just like I think it’s your interpretation of how those other campers are supposed to act. Somehow, you think everyone has to agree with how you think those areas should be used.

I’d just go explore and find other places to camp if it bothers you that much. You might find that you like those other places better away from the crowds.

You're doing a lot of interpretation here. It's not that I think everyone should agree with me on how those lands are being used. People are misusing them and treating them as their own privately owned land. I was just wondering if this is a common thing.

I have seen a lot of bad behavior from others while boondocking in public lands from minor annoyances like this to people dumping their blackwater in campsites as they leave.

I'm not big on rules, but I do like to be fair when it comes to shared resources and expect others to be fair too.

Geewizard

E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freep wrote:

jimh425 wrote:

Freep wrote:

You're doing a lot of interpretation here. It's not that I think everyone should agree with me on how those lands are being used. People are misusing them and treating them as their own privately owned land. I was just wondering if this is a common thing.

I have seen a lot of bad behavior from others while boondocking in public lands from minor annoyances like this to people dumping their blackwater in campsites as they leave.

I'm not big on rules, but I do like to be fair when it comes to shared resources and expect others to be fair too.

This is the very reason and the very people that rules are created.

I could continue this thought and add in politics, government, and a whole host of other things relating to not following rules.....but I won't.

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
220W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Wave 3 Heater
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Campsite Squatters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.