|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Shurflo water pump issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
mikefos

Fredericksburg, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are on the road in a campground and have the Shurflo 4008-101-A65 pump. It suddenly stopped pumping water but still runs. Cleaned the strainer of quite a bit of mineral sediment, although it was cleaned while winterizing last. Anyway, the pump won't prime but runs. Thinking about replacing it if the exact same one fits w/o any plumbing line modifications. Perhaps before ordering one I should attempt to take apart and see if anything is plugged up inside. How difficult is it to disassemble and clean? Is it worth the effort? Pump is 8 years old.

Mike

Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are very easy to take apart, clean, and reassemble.

You can also buy just the pump without the motor on Amazon.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

dhull

apple valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a winterizing pickup hose hookup to the pump then open it up fill with water and blow into it while running the pump with a spigot open. Your manually priming it. This has worked for me with same pump. But your is 8 years old....

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is easy to take apart and clean the rubber diaphragm, the problem I had was sealing it back up. After several tries of evenly torquing the parting plane bolts I finally had to add some silicone sealer at the parting plane The flange of the rubber diaphragm is suppose to act as a gasket but needed a little help. Mine was 18 years old when it would not prime and was drawing air in at the parting plane and leaking slightly also. Yours is much newer and should re seal without any added sealant.

mikefos

Fredericksburg, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/20 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dhull wrote:

If you have a winterizing pickup hose hookup to the pump then open it up fill with water and blow into it while running the pump with a spigot open. Your manually priming it. This has worked for me with same pump. But your is 8 years old....

Thanks for the tip. Tried it but didn't help. I'll pull out the pump and attempt disassembly to see if something inside is clogging things up or broken. In the background I'll price a replacement.
Mike

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure your not sucking in any air through the pump inlet tubing. The slightest bit can keep the pump from priming. Recheck to make sure the strainer bowl is properly seated and is tight.

Check any flexible vinyl tubing between the tank and pump. I have had to replace the short pieces of vinyl tubing on the pump inlet a couple times because the tubing had lost its pliability and was no longer sealing on the fitting hose barbs no matter how much I tightened the hose clamps. Air was being sucked in between the tubing and barbs. New tubing and new hose clamps solved the problem.

mikefos

Fredericksburg, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobeewan wrote:

Make sure your not sucking in any air through the pump inlet tubing. The slightest bit can keep the pump from priming. Recheck to make sure the strainer bowl is properly seated and is tight.

Check any flexible vinyl tubing between the tank and pump. I have had to replace the short pieces of vinyl tubing on the pump inlet a couple times because the tubing had lost its pliability and was no longer sealing on the fitting hose barbs no matter how much I tightened the hose clamps. Air was being sucked in between the tubing and barbs. New tubing and new hose clamps solved the problem.

I'll check this, although the inlet tubing goes through the floor to the tank so don't know how I can check that segment. I'll check what I can see and access right before the pump. I would have thought though that blowing water through the antifreeze tube into the pump would have at least primed it some.
Thanks,
Mike

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Shurflo water pump issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.