|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> First time out problems

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
B.B.Upch

Dallas, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello guys. So I got this 96 allegro bay given to us 4 years ago. Roof was shot & lots of internal water damage. We Fixed a lot of things and we tried taking it out for the first time.. let's just say it was a terrible experience.. when we got to site it was at a slight decline & the emergency break would not hold nor the parking break. So I had my daughter chauk it while I held the breaks.
Next the jacks would not work. Couldnt get them to come down at all. (They worked last month when I raised them up.)
Then the AC would not work. I had just posted this problem 2 weeks ago & thought we had it fixed.. it was running good for 4 days straight, Right up until we unplugged everthing to drive it over. (It would click on for a few seconds & then click back off... if u moved the cable around at the thermostat then it would come back on but go off after a minute or so... we came home that night since we are only 20 min away. Went back the next day & it was still doing the same thing???
It had a couple of water leaks but nothing major.
The refridgerator didnt work but that was expected. (We knew it had issues).
Then driving it back home it lost power.. it was running but u could hold the gas pedal to the floor & it would not move the motorhome. Then I would stop. Turn it off then start it back up & it would rev up ok. I would put it into gear & get up to about 30 to 50 mph and go 2 miles or so & it would do the same thing. So I coasted into an abandon gas station & left it lol..
Needless to say my wife does not want to ever go back. Her idea of camping is room service. That's the reason we took ok this project.
Any ideas other than lighting a match? Lol
Thanks this forum has helped tons over the last 4 years. Hoping for some advice now

B.B.Upch

Dallas, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a mechanic looking at the motor problem.
We had it plugged into a 50 amp site.so I want to figure out about the Jack's & the ac? Can I get a replacement thermostat and /or wiring cable? How difficult is it to switch to a 5 button? Mine is a duo-therm comfort control 4 button thermostat. It has 4 zones.
Also can I use a battery operated thermostat on that system?

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Your emergency brake and parking brake would not hold. You have two? I've never seen a vehicle with two. Please provide more info.
2. Jacks don't work. Sounds like a burnt fuse. Check your fuse panel.
3. AC ~ that sounds like a failed wire. Most RV thermostats use telephone wires for control. These wires are very small and over the years can and do fail. Moving the wires around makes it work so you've got a break in one of the wires. Pretty easy fix, once you determine where the break is.
4. As for the engine going into limp mode, you'll have to provide more info as to engine mfg, size, etc. as well as the transmission info.....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Eleven Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

A1B00902

Vancouver B.C CANADA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sound like a Oxygen sensors putting you in limp mode

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stop messing with patching the roof. Pull the whole thing off and replace it and any rotting wood you find.

BTW, you should use chocks behind the wheels ALL OF THE TIME when parking !

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chocks, not chalk.
Emergency BRAKE and parking BRAKE are the same thing, get the brakes checked. You may have frozen cable or all of the brake are worn. You don't want to mess around with weak brakes.
No power, a trip to the mechanic is in order. Your rig is 24 years old, who knows what else is about to fail. Have you installed new hoses and belts, oil change and transmission service. A neglected house means a neglected drive train.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delete

* This post was edited 08/20/20 04:51pm by 4x4van *

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have a smart wife.

B.B.Upch

Dallas, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok sorry guys but I didnt want to post 10 pages lol. So to answer a few questions
Yes we have done a lot over the past 4 years. Including replacing the entire roof (insulation, wood, rubber, all of it)... every piece of rotted wood inside the rv from walls & floor...
This is a 454 unit with a trans break
I pulled the train brake & sent it off to be rebuilt & reinstalled it.. the moride suspension was shot & I replaced all 4 of them. We worked on the breaks when we first got it & replaced the tires. Generator worked but then the starter went out. We fixed it. But it still will not carry a load (another problem for another time). We replaced the fuel pump & fuel sensor in tank. And the list goes on & on lol.
When I said emergency break & parking break I was alluding to the (parking break) when u put the rv in park... that would not hold. Then applying the emergency break & still would not hold. And yes I keep chocks on my tires for rv & car hauler...

Thanks for the info guys hopefully I cleared a couple things up for everyone. And thank you for taking time to read a long post & reply. Lots of great advice on here.

I will certainly check out the fuses for the jacks..

How can I fix the telephone cable or at least replace it? I'm assuming it runs to both ac units & a furnace???

I will deffinatly get the brakes back off & check 1st thing before taking it anywhere else.

And I was thinking the oxygen sensor as well. I notice a wire hanging down from under rv & it looks like it may be an oxygen sensor. Thanks

Thanks for all the advice guys much appreciated

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How is the fuel pump?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> First time out problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.