RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: enough truck ???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> enough truck ???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm separating this comment from my previous because it addresses an entirely different issue. One of the common payload management strategies for 1/2 ton pickups is to move gear from the truck to the trailer - bikes, tool kits, wood...all of this is sometimes moved to the trailer to lessen the load on the truck.

In your scenario, however, you have minimal carrying capacity on the trailer as well. 1,000 pounds of carrying capacity for a 30' trailer is very small. Your trailer is already likely a few hundred pounds above the 'dry' weight with filled propane, battery, etc. And, if you travel with water, that can readily add another 200-300 pounds or more to your. All this is to say that you won't have a lot of room to move things from truck to trailer without overloading the trailer. You will be tight all around.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can have long discussions with people or you can just bite bullet and buy a truck that is 3/4 ton or larger and designed to pull stuff. Then you relax.

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/20 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I think this refferances in the ford brochure a 2270# pay load capacity.”

That’s an average, a could be. Look at the sticker on the driver’s door. IMO that’s TOO much trailer for that F150. Some F150s might be okay.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got an older F150 with the MaxTow option, so my weights are not going to be the same as the new 'beer can' trucks.. [emoticon]

I'm towing a #7000 GVWR TT and I have not weighed it, but I'm pretty sure it's right up there when we travel. I fill the fresh water tank (50 gallons) and we have it packed up to the gills.

I also load the truck bed with a 'ton' of stuff, but I don't have any kids or dogs to haul either, so that helps!

Here are my stickers to compare to.. Basically, the new F150's are roughly #500-#600 lighter then my era of truck.

I'm pretty much maxed out on my combo and it's a comfortable tow, and it can handle more "by the numbers" but I don't want to run at it's max anyway.. Here are my stickers for comparison.

[image]
[image]
[image]

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

be-careful of the advise.........lots of "group think" on a forum. ( there is a reason they get labeled "the weight police" )Get your weight number accurately from a scale, read up on towing capacities/loading (not from a forum) and then decide for yourself. I've read forum posts saying 1/2 ton shouldn't tow over 6000lbs. Where that nonsense comes from is beyond me. I'm very successful pulling a 7700 GVRW trailer. Good luck.

I suspect, there is a lot of misunderstanding of comments on your end.

If someone makes a blanket, no 1/2 ton should tow more than 6000lb, I would agree that's wrong.

But generally when you see people say something similar, they are looking at the actual truck numbers and backing out what is realistic. It's not uncommon for lightly spec'd 1/2 ton trucks to have only 1400-1600lb payloads. A well fed American family of 4 plus some firewood and a cooler in the bed can easily leave you only 700lb of payload left for hitch weight. If you assume 12% hitch weight, that translates to 5800lb of trailer...or around 6000lb.

Sounds like the OP probably has a higher payload but he needs to confirm it.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/20 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMLYN IMO said it best.

FWIW, Several years ago now I think, saw a F150 yanking' a 40' (at least) Jayco. Darn near choked on my ice tea as I watched him pulling into a site.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

We'll See

IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p.meier wrote:

I have the same question for a tow vehicle, the trailer specs.
dry wt 6604#, trailer GVWR - 7600#. Hitch wt. 880# 26ft long, 29'11" overall.
Truck is 2020 Ford F-150. Specs 3.55 rear axle, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost,
Max trailer tow package. 157" wheel base, 6.5 bed.
7000# GVWR package, I think this refferances in the ford brochure a 2270# pay load capacity.
So is this enough truck for this trailer that I can safely pull it with some margin of error. I am confused, I've read this and heard that, I am confused.
Paul

Load it up and go. You have enough truck as long as you don't put much in the truck bed. Make sure you have a good weight distributing hitch and sway control.

Sold - 1994 Flagstaff Cobra 206
2017 F150 SCREW 2.7 Ecoboost
2007 Honda Odyssey
Sold - 2007 Chevy Trailblazer - 5.3 & 3.42
Lund Boat

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Short and accurate answer is yes, the OP's truck is very well suited on all fronts to tow the trailer he proposed. Without question or conjecture.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> enough truck ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.