|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 20 inch wheels vs 18 inch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2018 F150 got flooded in the hurricane recently. Looking for a new 2020.

We are finding quite a few F150's on the lot have 20" " chrome like pvd wheels, a 1295.00 option. I know the dealers are getting them that way for more $$.

Question is has anyone got first hand experience with these wheels vs the 18" standard wheels?

I know I can special order but don't really have time for that. Apparently the order process is delayed more than usual due to Covid. 2021 deliveries are late. Hardly any on the lots yet. Also if I were to special order I would get the HDPP package.

Thanks

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

riven1950 wrote:

We are finding quite a few F150's on the lot have 20" " chrome like pvd wheels, a 1295.00 option. I know the dealers are getting them that way for more $$.

Question is has anyone got first hand experience with these wheels vs the 18" standard wheels?

I know I can special order but don't really have time for that. Apparently the order process is delayed more than usual due to Covid. 2021 deliveries are late. Hardly any on the lots yet. Also if I were to special order I would get the HDPP package.

Thanks

If you dig into the details, you will actually find that there is more to that option than just the wheels. There are a few other structural upgrades that come with this option. If you look at the towing guides, you will find that you need the 20" wheels for the truly maximum tow rating on the F150 - the structural upgrades included are part of the reason why.

I learned this hidden detail too late and have the 18's. I wish I'd known then what I know now!

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would special order and get the HDPP package. Actually, that's what I did do, to me, its worth the wait. I rented a cheap car while I waited. Best decision I ever made, got exactly what I wanted and nothing I didn't need.
P.S. The HDPP package doesn't include with 20" wheels.

* This post was edited 08/20/20 10:56am by nickthehunter *

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 20” tire will generally have a higher load rating than the same brand/style 18” tire apparently due to shorter sidewalls. You can find the weight rating differences on manufacturer’s web site specs charts.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

riven1950 wrote:

Thanks

If you dig into the details, you will actually find that there is more to that option than just the wheels. There are a few other structural upgrades that come with this option. If you look at the towing guides, you will find that you need the 20" wheels for the truly maximum tow rating on the F150 - the structural upgrades included are part of the reason why.

I learned this hidden detail too late and have the 18's. I wish I'd known then what I know now!

Can you tell us what the other upgrades are? I haven't seem anything about them.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

I would special order and get the HDPP package. Actually, that's what I did do, to me, its worth the wait. I rented a cheap car while I waited. Best decision I ever made, got exactly what I wanted and nothing I didn't need.

For some reason the most towing that you get with HDPP crew cab 4WD is 11,300lbs while a similar truck without HDPP and 20" tires is rated for 12,700lbs. Just in case that matters to you.

That is really odd to me for a variety of reasons.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

A 20” tire will generally have a higher load rating than the same brand/style 18” tire apparently due to shorter sidewalls. You can find the weight rating differences on manufacturer’s web site specs charts.

Does that even matter on a half ton, though? The 18" tires on my truck are rated for 3640 lbs each, which is way beyond what you'd need for any half ton.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Got several reasons not to do that:

We are living in our TT in Florida while looking for a house. CG says we need to move in November...no truck is a problem. I know we can probably find someone to move it, but...

I have Leukemia and getting ready to go in the hospital for clinical trial. Really need to get it done sooner than later.

Based on my medical condition I don't see us needing more truck than the F150 max towing, which is what we had.

The ordering process likely means less discount.

A few years ago I would wait for a HDPP.

Thanks for all the comments

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

nickthehunter wrote:

For some reason the most towing that you get with HDPP crew cab 4WD is 11,300lbs while a similar truck without HDPP and 20" tires is rated for 12,700lbs. Just in case that matters to you.

That is really odd to me for a variety of reasons.
I don't know didn't look that up. You get more payload with the HDPP. Basically because you get a beefier frame. I'm more concerned about payload. I'll never get to max trailer before I run out of payload.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Can you tell us what the other upgrades are? I haven't seem anything about them.

It actually seems to generate a lot of confusion. If you look on the towing guides it will state that the max tow capacity is only possible with 20" wheels, but it does not say any more than that. This leads many to believe it is based solely on the smaller sidewall leading to less flex. This was my impression as well, and my clueless dealer told me no different when I purchased.

It is not until you dig into the order guide that you see a bit more. There is a small note under the "Max Trailer Tow Package" line that says, Note: Max GCWR/Max Tow only achieved on SuperCrew® equipped with 20” Wheels. These trucks will also
come equipped with max springs, steering gear and upgraded stabilizer bar for this configuration.

While I don't need the max tow rating, and have no issues with power, these adds would have been a nice boon to truck stability had I done enough homework to understand before buying. They had the truck I wanted with both the 20's and the 18's. I didn't want to spend a thousand bucks on aesthetics, so I didn't. If I knew then...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 20 inch wheels vs 18 inch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.