|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper Jacks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Randall Rice

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have problem with freezing HappiJac jacks? I have replaced two motor assemblies and have another going bad. I know there is a new style motor and I am wondering if it is better and a direct replacement of the old style.

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/20 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced mine with refurbished motors. I then took mine apart and lubed the inside (there’s instructions online). Never had a problem after that.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It doesn't get that cold where I am and they wouldn't fit in my upright or chest, so can't help you....

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I've returned Hj motors for rebuild 5 or 6 times after seizing internally. One motor I had seize after one season. Had it repaired and midway through the next season it was seized again. Hj motors have a water intrusion problem that I don't know if they have ever fixed. I store my camper in a carport these days and I haven't had any problems since. I also picked up a spare motor so it may just be a Murphy thing. Now that I have a spare I won't have any failures. The first couple motors I returned they suggested wrapping a plastic bag over the motor head to protect it from the weather. Pretty poor design for a part that is expected to be used outdoors.

In case the motor is just sitting on a dead spot, you can try using the hand crank with the motor still engaged and see if that frees it. Didn't work for me but YMMV.

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DWeikert wrote:

The first couple motors I returned they suggested wrapping a plastic bag over the motor head to protect it from the weather. Pretty poor design for a part that is expected to be used outdoors.

That is just an outrageous suggestion. The only bag should be over the head of the person that suggested that.

54suds

adk mts.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert that's the typical help you can expect from CRAPPI JAC ( LIPPERT junk CORP) I have 8 spare motors in my parts bin got a super deal once on e bay and lost count of the number of jacks ive had to rebuilt or buy replacements because of trash construction and subgrade componenents and not once in repeated contacts with hj was company helpful in any way .

* This post was edited 08/22/20 07:12pm by 54suds *

2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I rebuilt one that I keep for a spare. Any water that gets inside will sit on the lower bearing until it rusts. The rebuild included drilling holes in the end cap to let the water escape. I don't know if the new vertical motor is better.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

54suds wrote:

Bert that's the typical help you can expect from CRAPPI JAC ( LIPPERT junk CORP) I have 8 spare motors in my parts bin got a super deal once on e bay and lost count of the number of jacks ive had to rebuilt or buy replacements because of trash construction and subgrade componenents and not once in repeated contacts with hj was company helpful in any way .

Gotcha. Mental note to self. Does seem over the years, HJ's were the topic of more problems then others. And if they've been bought by a worse company.....

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/20 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have lost 2 motors due to water intrusion. The seals are just plain poor and do not work over a period of years. I even tried sealing plastic bags over the motors. Now I use caulk and gorilla tape around the joints. At least that has now worked for 2 years.

Iceworm

British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to replace one of my Happijack drive units recently. I contacted the company and requested to buy just a replacement electric motor as the gear assembly etc was fine, just the motor was seized. There was no reply from them, the silence was deafening!! Too bad they seem to be the only company producing these motor assemblies, some competition might help! I managed to get the motor apart after soaking the two through bolts for 3 weeks in penetrating oil to see what was going on with the corrosion issue. It was amazing how badly corroded the inside was. I did get the motor working again and it will be my backup unit when one of the other 3 seizes up!
If I could figure out how to post a photo to this post it would be great.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper Jacks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.