|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Foolish Things We’ve Done as Kids

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4th of July firecraker balls were sold.
Throw them down on the ground and they would explode with a loud bang
Buddy 'dared' me to clap my hands togther HARD with one in my palm...I did. it popped, burnt my palm but fortunately it didn't fully explode as my effort was a bit lacking

Road my StingRay bike down the backside of city park.....rough/steep terrain with bumps and holes ....only made it 2/3rd down before completely loosing it.
I was spotting bandages on side of face, forearms, knee etc for over a week then all scabbed up

We also used this same hillside to sled down in winter. Cardboard got the highest speed. Unfortunately the bottom of hillside dumped directly into the top of a street so you had to be prepared to bail if car came from intersecting side street......

Made Match Guns that shot Kitchen Strike anywhere matches. Made from wooden clothes pins.
Would fire AND Light those matches...distance was roughly 10' or more
We would have jousting matches...ride towards each other on our bikes firing away.
Several times I had to stop suddenly and put my t-shirt out...match landing in fold and burning

As teenagers we really stepped up the game.
Hand sledding behind cars in winter on way to school.....run up behind a car, grab back bumper and ski down the snow covered street (unless you hit a dry spot/manhole cover!!!)

Ditch school early and go hunting w/o letting anyone know where we went.
Walked home in the cold dark couple times cause car got stuck in snow

And these we just some of the 'mild' events growing up!!!

Really had an 'ANGEL' watching over US cause we pulled some really stupid dangerous stunts....man!!!

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

I probably did too many foolish things as a kid than I care to remember. I'm just glad there isn't any evidence. I kind of feel sorry for kids today with everything they do being documented by someone.

But it looks like many are documenting themselves

bukhrn wrote:

After reading these, and remembering my own stupidity doing much the same plus others I won't bring up here, it makes me wonder, are we dumber than girls, or more adventurous?
I only ask because I don't remember my sisters or other girls doing such idiotic things.

I think we don't remember the girls doing the stupid snot cause most times we where doing it to show off for them.
I will plead the 5th on this because a lot of the dangerous stuff I did, I could no longer be called a kid. My stupid lasted for a long time.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess that I am not lone when I sometimes wonder how it is that I managed to live long enough to get this old.
In recent years, I am more careful.
RecentlyI was doing brake work on our antique coach and a younger fellow was helping because he wanted to learn. He noticed that I often went back and checked what I had done. He remarked that I seemed rather paranoid about the brake work. At that point I admitted that I was somewhat paranoid, but he should also note that I was OLD and Paranoid. Sometimes they do go together.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

I guess that I am not lone when I sometimes wonder how it is that I managed to live long enough to get this old.
In recent years, I am more careful.
RecentlyI was doing brake work on our antique coach and a younger fellow was helping because he wanted to learn. He noticed that I often went back and checked what I had done. He remarked that I seemed rather paranoid about the brake work. At that point I admitted that I was somewhat paranoid, but he should also note that I was OLD and Paranoid. Sometimes they do go together.

Matt

Old and paranoid?
I remember when I asked "Do you know more old Drs or old drunks...

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m really enjoying these replies! Maybe a book could be written on this subject. Bet it would sell real well. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 08/22/20 10:50am by mr. ed *

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Firecrackers, were n where to be found in the woods so we used quarter sticks of dynamite bout like an old M80. Most dynamite was wood chips soaked in nitro in a paper tube. Pouring it from the tube into another tube or anything else that you could secure a cap and fuse in. Wonder we didn't get hurt as dynamite sweats, sometimes a lot in hot weather.
We made our own gunpowder just as people had for centuries. We tried making our own potassium nitrate from boiling down chicken droppings. Not a real pleasant enterprise. Don't want to try to make it with ether either.
Nothing quite like blowing out a pond size hole when blowing up a stump with some of our more energetic creations.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I grew up in Middleburg Heights Ohio when I-71 was being built. We used to play on the bridge steel before the concrete deck was poured. We walked the steel all the way across the bridges. Tons of fun. Rode our bikes on the new road bed before concrete was poured. Back then we even rode our bikes without helmets and rode in cars without seatbelts. Amazing huh?

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never wore seat belts as a kid growing up. No bicycle helmet. I did so many stupid things growing up it's a wonder I lived to be a adult. A old expression comes to mind (God watches out for young people and fools).

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/20 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Firecrackers, were n where to be found in the woods so we used quarter sticks of dynamite bout like an old M80. Most dynamite was wood chips soaked in nitro in a paper tube. Pouring it from the tube into another tube or anything else that you could secure a cap and fuse in. Wonder we didn't get hurt as dynamite sweats, sometimes a lot in hot weather.
We made our own gunpowder just as people had for centuries. We tried making our own potassium nitrate from boiling down chicken droppings. Not a real pleasant enterprise. Don't want to try to make it with ether either.
Nothing quite like blowing out a pond size hole when blowing up a stump with some of our more energetic creations.

Brings back memories. I also made my own gunpowder. I had a chemistry set as a kid and it contained some of the ingredients, I believe, powdered charcoal and sulfur. I obtained the potassium nitrate somewhere else (I think the local drug store). I never did anything with it, except light it and watch it burn . I didn’t do anything more dangerous Than that with the set. I don’t think chemistry sets are sold anymore because of the possibility some “mad scientist” kid may make a bomb.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/20 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Didn't do anything like the rest of you. I behaved. As soon as my lawyer gets back to me on statue of limitations I may post some things.[emoticon]

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Foolish Things We’ve Done as Kids
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.