|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Foolish Things We’ve Done as Kids

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, and a 6 has more power than the old ones. But a knew 4 cyl will not have the power of a new V-8.

I once paid $35 for a Pinto wagon, for winter transportation. Engine had a bad miss. Tuned up, still miss. Pulled the cam cover, saw the tube that oiled cam was plugged, the back 3 lobes gone. Cleaned the tube so engine would not lock. Only ran on 2 cyl, but always started. Would not spin a tire on ice, worked to go 25, but much warmer than MC. Spring, sold it for scrap, over $20

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/20 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 6 or so, I saw a bag of corn starch at Grand Ma's. It was light or faded pink and blue on white with a Swan on it. I thought it was flour, as it was the same size. asked Grand Ma what it was and she said she used it for the clothes.
They washed and starched on Monday using the big old three leg pot out back, familiar since the 1600s in most homesteads. and ironed on Tuesdays.
Somehow about a quart to a half of the bag of cornstarch fell into the pot.Tuesday they took them off the clothesline and immediately noticed something was strange. I saw them they were stiff as boards and they carried them like wood planks, both shirts and coveralls.
I gather they had a time ironing them. They used iron irons set on the cook stove to heat. The reason they tested them with a drop of water was too hot and the clothes would burn up sometimes immediately.
Well i don't remember with accuracy the comments right now but...thee next day my Uncles worked in the mines started off to work and they weren't happy their clothes well... were stiff as boards and besides that any sweat made the clothes stick to you and they itched.When they got home that evening they were fit to be tied and would have maybe tied up whoever done it and dunked them in the well a few times. It was douwn right comical to watch them walk with those boards on and hear them fuss. They didn't cuss.
Til this day I get a giggle thinking about that. I'm glad they didn't catch whoever did it. I said they might dunk them in the well, well they were real clever with dealing with such miscreants might have been worse but there were no girls dresses in the house. God lvoe them, poor as dirt but rich in love of God's love and life, They always had a smile and a laugh in their mouths.

* This post was edited 09/21/20 11:15am by down home *

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/20 12:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 09/14/20 11:50am by down home *

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was 10 years old we lived at the top of a 3 block long hill with a city park at the bottom. We kids would ride our bikes as fast as we coud down the hill with plenty of room at the park to stop. One day I saw an abandoned grocery cart beside the road and thought, "COOL RIDE". Hopped in and started down the hill. I soon found out you can't steer a grocery cart from inside and you pick up speed fast. I made it about 1 block before crashing into the curb and then a tree. Broke my arm, dislocated a shoulder, and scrapes all over. Somebody called the police and ambulance.
Got patched up at the hospital, then home to face my Dad when he got home from work. Grocery store wanted $45 for the broken cart. Dad just shook his head and mumbled but he set that cart in my room as a reminder of the stupid trick. It stayed there the rest of the summer.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Never wore seat belts as a kid growing up. No bicycle helmet. I did so many stupid things growing up it's a wonder I lived to be a adult. A old expression comes to mind (God watches out for young people and fools).

Teens ??
I'm probably not the only goofy teen to kill the head lights on a county gravel road at nite to see if someone was coming...so we didn't have to slow down for the blind intersection.
Or some thing really dumb like stop on the Santa Fe main line tracks out in the middle of nowhere...and listen for a train coming. Not all engineers would run with their lites on. I was on the passenger side and rolled the window down on my buddies '46 Chrysler. I says sounds like one coming. Every one laughs. Then my buddy that was driving heard it. We had 75' to spare. The train was hi balling with no lites.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb here - I will probably blame some of my adventures on the fact that my neighborhood was ALL boys.....

In hindsight - the one memory that scares me most now that I'm a mother/grandmother, was my adventurous spirit, even at age 4. My mom worked, and the old lady who watched me figured I was safe in our fenced back yard - except that I could shinny up a sapling, put my foot on the fence, and jump over. Into the trainyards - where I would play amongst the parked (and sometimes open) boxcars.....

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/20 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about seeing or hearing (I think Super Man, maybe the Shadow) going through a brick wall and trying to do it. I had to be two or three. Still here…

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 2400 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the San Francisco Bay Area near the town of Pittsburg, there were abandoned coal mines in the hills. Universally called "Nortonville" by us high schoolers, we used to mount expeditions of three or four kids and foolishly go underground despite knowing there might be toxic gas or danger of collapse.

Very few through transits were made which took us around five hours. I had loaded my pockets to bulging with Ray O Vac D-cells. Good thing. An hour before we exited our flashlights dimmed. I won't repeat the language that was used, but "We're Screwed" would be a good summary. My 3-cell had a little poop left and served as enough light until the second one lit.

The county has since dynamited and poured concrete to seal off these lures irresistable to teenage boys.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've probably told this before.
In High School a Friend and I would turn VWs around in our Church Parking lot of those we knew would not get offended, Front ends I could lift with one had rear ends I might have gotten away with one but used two. On Friday nights and Saturdays everyone was cruising. he had a bleu 57 Chevy convertible, black tuck and roll convertible, with four barrel 283 and powerglide, we cruised in. We would find some of our friends cars parked at drive-ins and such and pull the same tricks, even pick up some cars and scoot them closer and box them in. We got done the same a few times but it took the whole football team or seemed so.And we pulled other shenanigans on each other. One time we tried to life a Buick. I think I got the rear. It tore the sides our off my shoes, put blisters on my feet and hands and my back hurt a bit. I don't think he complained. I actually think he just pretended to participate, Joke was on me. I got the car turned about half way around..but never again. Lot of difference between a 57 a VW. a 57 Chevy and a 5,000.00 plus Buick.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Foolish Things We’ve Done as Kids
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.