|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> advice on 5th wheel hitch option

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrad wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

$500 is too much for installation in my opinion. If it came out of your truck you should be able to install it yourself. Some of us with short box trucks have no use for a sliding hitch but I agree with you that if you get a slider it should be an auto slide. The auto slide hitches can be a little more difficult to hitch up. I am satisfied with my short box and B&W Companion.

What is the advantage to the companion hitch?? It did not come out of my truck but a truck of the same year and model

The Companion is a much heavier hitch but the Patriot may be heavy enough for your application. The Companion can be purchased with a base for pining to the truck bed either via B&W Turnover Ball under bed hitch or with a base designed to pin to the factory puck system. Either of these under bed systems can be easily installed but both are likely more expensive than the $500 your dealer would charge to install rails in your truck.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/20 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would the DEMCO autoslide hitch have the same issues unhooking as the pullrite superglide, meaning you would have to hook-up within a 15 degree angle?

alboy

Kelowna B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes had a hijacker/demco for 10 yrs ,great hitch,had to rebuild the head after 30000 miles,ill take the Andersen anyday

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alboy wrote:

Yes had a hijacker/demco for 10 yrs ,great hitch,had to rebuild the head after 30000 miles,ill take the Andersen anyday

Question alboy: What was broken/worn out on the Demco? I've got just over 30,000 miles on mine and it's almost like new, though it's only 3 years old. I've only had to replace the little rubber bumper so it doesn't rattle when unhitched.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 70 Nights

Braces

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cut-outs on newer 5ers donot eleminate the possibility of cab-trailer contact. I have seen 2018 truck and 5er crunch while backing into a site. I have been towing 2014 montana with a 2013 Ram short bed and a Pullright auto-slider for 6 yrs and have never been unable to get straight enough to unhitch. Love my Pullrite and reduced stress from worrying as much.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been using my Pullrite Superglide for 10 years. If you can read and follow directions, hitching and unhitching will not be a problem.
In those 10 years I have unpinned the head and lifted it off the hitch to unhook one time. I have been in that same site over a dozen times since and haven't had to do that.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

alboy

Kelowna B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JK The pins holding the head slopped out,450.00$ later,probably had closer to 50000 miles as i sold it a few years later

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

I've been using my Pullrite Superglide for 10 years. If you can read and follow directions, hitching and unhitching will not be a problem.
In those 10 years I have unpinned the head and lifted it off the hitch to unhook one time. I have been in that same site over a dozen times since and haven't had to do that.

Its always going to be a problem if you are not within 15 degrees . If someone enjoys unpinning the head to get unhitched ,well then go for it.

johndeerefarmer

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a Pullrite and hated it, as was said most of the time it wouldn't unlatch.
I then bought an Andersen I like it but when I put it in my F150 it put too much weight at the rear of the truck- so it's for sale if anyone wants one...
I know have a Blue Ox slider that mounts to my B&W ball.

No one has mentioned one advantage of a slider in the rear position is it make backing easier because it puts the pivot point farther back. For that reason I use the slider most of the time (unless it's a straight shot backing in to the site)

2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

Its always going to be a problem if you are not within 15 degrees . If someone enjoys unpinning the head to get unhitched ,well then go for it.

So what does it cost to pull forward 15 feet and adjust the truck straight? A lot less than a broken window.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> advice on 5th wheel hitch option
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.