RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: What The Heck???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/20 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something still sounds wrong about your battery wiring. What happens if you disconnect one of the two batteries? Do the systems come alive with only one battery hooked up?

As far as checking the voltage at the coach you would check on the battery posts that have the wire labeled as "to RV" in the picture below. 12v batteries in the left picture, 6 volt batteries in the right picture.

You said you have 6 positive cables to two different 12 volt batteries. That is fine as long as the two batteries are linked together positive to positive and negative to negative.
[image]

You said your chassis battery reads 0. That battery will have to be replaced.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All still a little confusing. Hooking up 2 batteries in parallel is pretty straight forward and "should" have nothing to do with your chassis battery that allows your engine to start. Unless you hooked up something very wrong and fried a lot of components.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

jorbill2or

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkc306 wrote:

confirmed both house batteries are linked in parrallel on the positive posts; checked voltage of chassis battery: -0-. house batts both at 12.60.

Chassis batteries are 0 ? ..well .. that’s why it won’t start. Chassis is anything connected with the engine. The house batteries control 12 volt lights etc . You don’t have a by the door power switch that was turned off ?

Bill

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the batteries were hooked up wrong, there should be a circuit breaker or fuse that would have blown. Normally found on the ground right before attaching to the frame (I think, it's been a while since I've made that mistake). Also might be fuses on the back side of the converter.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing that I can think of that will affect both the house and chassis voltages is a short to ground by the battery isolator. This would prevent the alternator from charging the batteries and providing enough power for the ignition.
I'm guessing that it is not a permanent short or the engine would never start but something that fails after a period of time and shunts all of the current to ground instead of charging the batteries.

oldave

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure you actually have 12v batteries and if so that they are wired in
parallel .
Many coaches have 6v batteries that must be in series .

For some reason the batteries are running down . See if you can get them
charged back up , you may need to use a battery charger if the coaches
battery charger doesn't seem to be charging .

Slow down , your answers are confusing , tell us with more words what you
are seeing and doing .

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6 VDC wet cell batteries have THREE CELLS/caps.

12 VDC wet cell batteries have SIX CELLS/caps.

Which do you have?

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time to restart your thread. Brett asked a pertinent question that needs to be answered first. Keep in mind there are several protection devices on your coach to prevent damage to the electrical items. It sounds like you might have triggered one of these so your repair may be cheap. That said, you must start somewhere. Start by identifying your battery banks. Chassis are your starting batteries and house power most everything inside. You replaced the batteries so let's start there. Take a picture of the cabling on your house and your chassis and post them here. Click the link below, drag the file to the box and post the link. Nothing else has to be done. Once we see what you have, we can offer more assistance. Be patient. We feel your frustration and anxiety....Dennis

Click to post picture

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Eleven Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jkc306

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retracing my steps I identified errant house batt cable connection. disconnected this one cable from pos post to neg post. using only house batts, interior lights, slide-outs, awning etc working again. connected chassis battery no smoke, engine started. Shore power also working again. Seems i am now back to my original problem: LCI levelers will not retract. Did the reset at panel - that did not help; 15amp fuse in pump compartment ok. Here is a picture of the house batts [image] don't know that it will be useful...

John Contreras

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John,

I used to be a professional at this stuff, more for boats than RVs, but same-same. I always took pictures before I took anything apart. When you get it working, take another picture and put it in you maintenance log.

Now, when I was building things like this, I tried to keep the numbers the same. There is also no visible "strap" between the two negative posts. That should look just like the one between the positives.

I count three cables on each positive post. Then two and one on the negative. I would start looking to see if one of those on one of the positive posts should not go on a negative.

Good Luck

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.