|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Help choosing tow vehicle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We pulled that size popup with a 2010 Pilot and it worked pretty well. That's not what I'd go out and buy for towing, though, we just happened to have one.

I would recommend a half ton truck at least. Yes it's more than you need for that trailer, but the general progression is that you will more than likely upgrade to a larger trailer in the future and getting a more capable tow vehicle now will help make that an easier process. Plus you have two little kids. Little kids like to have stuff with them, and they don't stay little for very long. Having extra capacity and cargo space is a lot better than being tight on either. I think you would appreciate having a truck bed for kid toys, bikes, dog kennel, extra water, chainsaw, BBQ, etc., etc. Popups are pretty limited in the cargo carrying department.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

badercubed

Canandaigua, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put two kids in the backseat of my Canyon with no issues. Specs on the truck are above a Tacoma/Ranger but below a 1/2t ton truck.

We tow a 4,000lb dry / 5,100lb loaded camper with zero issues on trips over 500miles, but haven't ventured into real big elevation changes.

You won't regret a F-150 with an Ecoboost though. I had one and frequently hauled a larger camper or construction equipment at it was a dream.

2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The real consensus is 95% of the people here think you need twice as much tow rig than you actually do!
But to your question, half ton, any flavor, will get the job done as comfortably and powerfully as you’d imagine. Pilot/midsize will get the job done and it will be safe, but like Ida said, not ideal.
Short term , whatever gets you out in the mountains. Thinking long term think about the benfefits of a full-size vehicle. I don’t think the mileage penalty is that great when not towing unless you run a lot of commuter miles.
Biggest thing imo is how do you like to drive? I’m intimately familiar with most roads in the CO Rockies and when you lose 1/3 of your power and have to use your brakes 50% harder, having a little more than you actually need under the hood is nice.
If your handle was “Nebraska corn” not CO mountains, I’d say you could tow it with a Corolla! Lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And for what Honda’s and Yotas go for you can buy a nice crew cab pickup for similar $

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And you won’t look like a soccer mom driving it to work!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And you’ll probably start chewin Copenhagen and voting republican, if you already don’t. And Colorado could use more if that! Yeehaw!

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot to mention, depending on the year model, you have to add the weight of the ac, heater, fridge, awning, etc to the pups weight. They really mean empty weight all other stuff is usally added on. And , as stated, the small sway contoll bars are worth every penny of the 50 bucks they cost to add on.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To start out, if you have the Pilot already, use it. It'll do okay with a popup. Just slow down and shift down for long, steep grades in either direction.

Get a brake controller, assuming the popup has brakes. If not, it's possible to add them (look for a square backer plate with mounting holes behind the wheel) or to replace the axle with one that has brakes. Definitely important in the mountains.

I towed a 16' TT through the Rockies a couple of times with a 270 HP V6 Toyota Highlander. It worked well enough, but then I didn't push it hard.

Go have some fun! After you've used the popup a couple of times, you might have a better idea whether you want to stick with what you have, or upgrade the tug or the trailer or both.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

COmountains

CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb-

Yep, this is a Coleman circa 2003 (but in great shape with lots of aftermarket stuff added).

Even with a half-ton, you think a WDH is still a good thing to have? I was thinking just a friction control sway bar and call it a day*.

*Reminder from my first post that this will be my first time towing anything ever so I have no idea what I'm doing. Been spending all my time researching tow vehicles, haven't gone down the rabbit-hole of hitches yet!

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

COmountains wrote:

Even with a half-ton, you think a WDH is still a good thing to have? I was thinking just a friction control sway bar and call it a day*.

I'd drop it on a ball and try it out, and I bet that's all you would need to do.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Help choosing tow vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.