|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Moving a 5th wheel from Florida to New York State

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ian.c

Burlington, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm hoping the members here will have some thoughts or suggestions.

Every year my wife, Darlene, and I spend our winter on Sanibel. Last January she was diagnosed with a aggressive malignant brain tumour. As we're Canadians our insurance wouldn't cover the operation needed in Fort Myers but they did send an air ambulance for us.
She's had the operation and gone through radiation and chemo. We were lucky enough to get accepted into a stage 3 trial of a new chemo drug so she's still on chemo and will be for another fourteen months.

Friends in the park packed cup our 5th wheel and I arranged to store it- under cover with an electrical hookup. A former student jumped at the chance to drive our F250 home and so I thought all was well. As soon as Darlene was stable I'd drive back down to Cape Coral where it's stored and bring it back to Canada.
And then along came COVID.
So now I have the trailer in Florida, the truck in my driveway and the border is closed. And we won't be able to travel for a year.
Here's where the suggestions and advice come in. I'd like to find a way to get the trailer moved from Cape Coral to Hector in the Finger Lakes where friends have a place we can store it. If anyone has thoughts, advice or suggestions I'd love to hear them. I am at a loss. And to complicate matters a little more, it has a Pullrite hitch.

Many thanks and God bless in these crazy times.
Ian

2011 Heartland Graystone 5th Wheel
2010 Ford F250 V10
Lovin' the lifestyle - never getting enough.

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are rv haulers that will move your trailer.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Contact a Local RV Dealer (in area where your 5v is currently at) and inquire as to who delivers their 5th wheels.
Contact them and get quote to relocate it.

There are also MANY transport companies who could et quotes from

Nationwide Transport

WE Haul RV

We WILL Transport

And there is always
USHIP

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a nightmare scenario. I'm so sorry for your predicament. I hope your wife is in good hands and recovers well.

I don't have any suggestions that would help you move your 5er. It's not like you can just hire a couple of college kids to move it for you.

I need to put this out here preemptively though, just so you don't run afoul of the forum rules. Make sure you don't actually solicit any help here. I don't want to have to be the big mean moderator.

Forum Rules wrote:

You may not use the Open Roads Forum for "For Sale" or "Wanted" posts. Solicitations by private/public agencies, or individuals for any cause are also not allowed.

I can't imagine anything worse than having to care for a critically ill wife. You certainly have my sympathy.

Regards,
Dave (Big Mean Moderator)

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First thing is hoping your wife does well. The pullrite plate should come off Your pinbox easily. Ive even gone the other direction and bolted plates on my pullrite hitch so it didn’t slide and pulled a standard pinbox FW. You might start with Craigslist but it can vary from terrible to fantastic. As mentioned you may find rv dealers etc who could haul it.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

best wishes, good thoughts and prayers for your wife and you.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So sorry to hear of your wife’s illness. Best wishes.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horizon Transport out of Indiana might have a hauler... also as someone else mentioned, try a rv dealer and get the name of the transporters the dealer uses. I think I would look for one in the area where the rig is now parked.

Hope your wife progresses well with her treatments. And with Covid shutting things down, it is all stressful. Good luck and blessings to both of you.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear about your troubles, best wishes for you and your wife.
Suggestion
IDK if there are any RV mfgs in the NE, New York maybe, but the RV haulers will typically dead head from drop points in FL back to the mfg.
Find the closest mfg to your location (not dealer, manufacturer), call them, see if they'll give you the number of one of their contract haulers and that person could back haul it more economically than sending someone from another part of the country.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LadyRVer wrote:

Horizon Transport out of Indiana might have a hauler... also as someone else mentioned, try a rv dealer and get the name of the transporters the dealer uses. I think I would look for one in the area where the rig is now parked.

Hope your wife progresses well with her treatments. And with Covid shutting things down, it is all stressful. Good luck and blessings to both of you.

Ditto on Horizon, those guys are hauling 5ers and trailers from factories in northern IN down to dealers in FL and deadheading on the way back. I'm sure a driver would love to make some side money coming back north with a trailer. Here is a Facebook group.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Moving a 5th wheel from Florida to New York State
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.