|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water refill when dry camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hubby too made an electric pump that he hooks up to our batteries and we pump from a bucket that we hauled.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use this Milescraft Drill Pump pumps about 6 gpm with my cordless drill and drill battery will only be down to half after pumping 45 gal.

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 45 gallon water bladder that I put in my truck bed and fill. I have a (spare) ShurFlo pump that I put hose connectors on and cables to hook to my batteries. I can pump from the bladder directly into the fresh water tank. I have used this setup. It works like a charm.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one of those inexpensive fountain pumps with a solar panel. I drop the pump it into the water tank with a small piece of tub long enough to go into the RV fill tube. Put the panel in the sun and let it do its thing. Will it fill all 20 gallons in a minute or so? Nope, but it will do it within a few minutes all by itself while I'm doing something else at the campsite. When the water runs out, it shuts off automatically.

As for the pump/tube FDA or NSF rating, there are probably worst things leeching from all the other sources that water came in contact with that the few seconds in the pump and the tube just isn't worth the worry.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 12:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Your trailer has a pump, make some minor changes to the plumbing and use it. On mine, I had a winterizing hose that I connected to the hose behind the city water inlet with a tee, if necessary add a similar hose. I gutted the check valve out of the city water inlet and added an inline check valve inboard of the added tee. I bought an 8 gallon Hydroller portable tank with wheels that I modified with a dip tube, but any tank will work.

No lifting, funnels, wires, switches or battery connections. I can't understand why folks won't use a pump that is already there. A check valve, clamps and a tee were the only purchased items.

[image]

This exactly! If you don't already have a winterizing hose then add it and leave the 6gal jug on the ground and suck the water into the rv. My 5er can only be filled by a city water hose so as needed I bring a jug nearby...flip valves to "winterize" and pull the water onboard as needed. Other method is a cheap harbor freight 12v pump and attach an rv end using the 12v from your tow vehicle. Leave jugs in bed of vehicle and transfer it to your gravity fill..

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/20 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obviously you can get various pumps. I did not want to deal with running the wiring and storing the pump and tubing. My solution was low tech. I got a bigger funnel and take two trips with the jug half full.

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked up a 20 gallon potable water tank off Craigslist. It's strapped down in the truck bed on a 14" tall stand I made. I fill it at a spigot and it gravity feeds into the trailer's tank.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbopp wrote:

....I fill it at a spigot and it gravity feeds into the trailer's tank.

This post does not seem to be about carrying extra water. It is about filling your system when spigots are not available. Unfortunately that is very common in many campgrounds including many national parks, national forests and BLM areas.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just use my solar shower bag that I fill as required and hang it from my awning latch and let gravity work. I also fill a 5 gallon container to wash dishes and make coffee etc. outside on a table. It cuts down on your need to transfer water into your main tank. Showers inside from the main tank uses a lot less water than washing dishes, pots and pans, washing hands, coffee etc.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A wakeboat ballast bag and a ballast pump work great.
Depending on the length of stay, I can put 800lbs of water on the backseat floor of the truck and transfer it from there.
Everything folds up to the size of a couple bath towels when not in use.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water refill when dry camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.