|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How often and how to clean black tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/20 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have sani flushed the tank only once in 3 years. Recently I read I should be doing this more often. On the other hand some places say not to empty black too often because then there is an inadequate amount to drive biodecomposition. It does smell now despite minimal use so I'm planning to flush.

Also I read to 1. Empty tanks. 2. Fill with some toilet flushes. 3. Add some bleach and dish soap. 4. Let sit. 5. Empty. 6. Leave black tank open. 7. Flush for a while (how long?). 8. Close up. 9. Flush some water into toilet.

We use the rv for 3-6 4-16 day trips per year. And occasionally at home as a spare bedroom or office. In The latter cases, if it makes sense to avoid using the toilet we could easily do this.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A clear elbow at the drain connection will tell you all that you need to know. Drain and flush often till the brown trout are no longer swimming downstream.

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leave a few gallon of water in the tank (plus a few drops of soap if you want) and drive down the highway a few mile and it self cleans.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have tried various methods over the yrs - and assuming you have tried the basics (water/soap etc) have found that using a bit of bleach on occasion works as good as anything. The smell comes from bacteria and bleach kills that. Many people recommend Happy Campers which I recently purchased but haven't used yet.

BTW - every few years I use a septic cleaner in my black water tank (let it set for a week) which is suppose to super clean the tank - that may insure you black water tank works fine but it's not a cure all for odors.

Kevin

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/20 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it gets full, or if I'm going to moochdoc, I empty it and put in some water. It's only a holding tank not a septic system.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will give it a bit more rinse when there is no line at the dump and I am not at all rushed.
This is probably every 4th to 10th dump. My old sensors still work fine after 15 years.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, nobody wants to be stuck behind a fellow rv'er that wants their black as clean as their fresh tank. I figure every few trips when I dump and the place is deserted I backflush for 3-4 mins and then im on my way. The idea of a few gallons of fresh water in an empty black tank is SMART. Use whatever chemicals floats your boat but as mentioned its a storage tank not a septic system. Ive had great luck with my sensors adding water softener to "grease" the sides of the holding tank.

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I all ways put 1/4 cup dawn in the poo tank keeps it clean and my tank gauges work.

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/20 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“then there is an inadequate amount to drive biodecomposition.”

RVs have holding tanks. While breaking up “chunks” for easy dumping is a good thing RV tanks are not made for decomposing.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never cleaned it that way. We dump, flush with the installed flush system until effluent is reasonably clean, and that's all. We've got over 110,000 miles on the coach, and have never had a problem. When in Arizona, we move the coach about every weeks. When in Alaska, the coach sits from May thru August without moving. We see no difference between either approach, and as I said, we have NEVER done anything more and never had a problem. The only odor problem we ever had was caused by a sticking backflow preventer on the flush system. We've never put any chemicals or additives into the system.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How often and how to clean black tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.