|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Small mistakes can make big problems

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know an experienced RVer who made a similar mistake. He hooks up to the spigot with a wye and then hooks up his city supply with one hose and then he connects the tank flush with another. He had finished setting up camp and they decided to go into town and left, what he neglected to notice is the shutoff on the wye was open to the tank flush. When they returned they had a flood and black water coming out the roof vent. S**t happens to the best of us, we tend to get complacent because of all that experience we have.

We were camped at a nice CG and a young couple pull into the site next to us a couple days after we had arrived. I watched discretely as he tried to unhook from the ball and was having trouble so I feigned needing something from my truck and went there and he noticed me outside so he actually asked me for help which I had hoped he would do. I didn't want to embarrass the guy by barging in. He explained he had borrowed the trailer and really didn't have any experience and did not know how the hitch latch worked so I said "are you ready for this?" lifted it up and pulled it back and the ball dropped out of the coupler...that simple. He laughed and we had a good conversation and I told him not to hesitate to ask me if he needed help with anything else. They had a nice stay.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't want to see anyone harmed or RV destroyed but had to laugh on a recent camping trip with the wife.

Inexperienced couple backed into site beside us, assuming here.
It was an unlevel site front to back so the rear bumper of trailer was off the ground 2 feet or more, no big deal once the trailer is unhooked.

Well they decided to leave tow vehicle hooked up all weekend with rear stabilizers extended yet off the ground considerably as well as rear step.

Wife asked why they are doing that ?
Usually have an answer for everything but simply couldn't come up with one.

Lyuluck

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are wright,learning before RV outside trip is important

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

gbopp wrote:

He didn't have enough sense to turn the water off before he went looking for help?
He may be destined for more problems in the future.

Ya, I thought the same thing. But after talking to the guy he was just lost on the whole thing. He just didn't put 2 and 2 together.

I don't "think" it was a rental unit from some of the things he said and their were no markings on the MH that I saw.

I felt super bad for the guy. He was trying hard for a good RV experience but it didn't work out that way because of a small mistake. And in his defense it was a small mistake. [emoticon]

Thats why you rent as a rookie lol. make the mistakes on someone elses camper and your good to go when you buy your own!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Small mistakes can make big problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.