|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Vintage RV upgrades

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Ashton1012

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey everyone! I’m back with more questions. Recently purchased a 1977 dodge Sportsman RV. 43k original miles, in excellent shape for its age. All appliances in working condition. Picked it up for $750. Interior lighting already upgraded to LEDs.

I’m looking for tips and advice on the best upgrades you’ve all done to your old class C RVs. Really any kind of upgrades, but specifically looking into suspension. Are there any anti sway bars that would be a direct fit, what about steering stabilizers? Anything in the interior I should upgrade or double check before I drive her 5 hours home?

I already have 7 brand new tires waiting at my friends house where the RV is, so I won’t have to stress about old tires blowing out. Also plan on replacing; plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. If it’s doable in just an hour or two I may replace the serpentine belt, or at least pick up a spare. Oil and coolant will be changed. Will also flush, sanitize, and fill the water tank, flush and sanitize the black water tank.

Anyone ever upgrade from exhaust manifolds to headers on one of these old rigs, are there are direct bolt in fits for headers or would I have to get something custom made?

I appreciate any and all tips. My wife and I are really looking forward to fixing up the rig and finally bringing it home where we can start doing cosmetic upgrades.

Thank you!!

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have it aligned at a reputable truck shop. Then after you drive it for awhile , decide on future suspension upgrades.

Led interior lighting. You can get away with swapping out bulbs. You can get LED’s in warm as well as bright white.

Upgrade mattress.

Upgrade to s porcelain toilet. Much easier to clean.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you fix that small leak in the roof? Take care of that first, a small leak can do a lot of damage if not repaired fairly quickly.

Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant and Eternabond are great products for your roof.

Check around for the best prices.

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While flushing the black tank is a good idea, no need to sanitize it.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Ashton1012

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not yet, that will be among the list of to do’s once I get it home! I wouldnt be able to fix it before unfortunately. I do have it covered with a tarp, and I live in a much drier area than where it is currently parked. 60 inches of rain annually vs 18 inches lol, will definitely help keep it together until I can fix it. I’ve been watching tons of videos on can over rebuilds, looks like something I can handle and will give me an opportunity to insulate it while it’s open, probably add some more support/structure to it, then seal it back up with something that will last. I’d like to pull the whole ceiling panel eventually, it sags a little in some spots and would be nice to insulate up there as well. All among my list of to do this winter!

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd be looking for fuel injection.

Ashton1012

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As sweet as that would be, I don’t think I could ever justify it on this old rig. I think I’d spend more on the fuel injection kit than the whole RV is worth

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it has 16.5" wheels, I'd replace them with 16" wheels. Since you have a bunch of new tires, I'm kind of guessing it doesn't have the 16.5" wheels as 16.5" tires are getting pretty hard to find.

Otherwise, there's not much chassis related I can think of beyond usual old vehicle stuff: make sure the brakes are in good shape and operating freely, change fluids if they're at all questionable, check belts and hoses and spark plug wires and distributor bits, that sort of thing. (Note that my inability to think of stuff doesn't mean stuff doesn't exist that would be good to do!)

For the house part, if the converter is original or even comparatively old, replacing it with a modern multi-stage converter would be well worth doing, and probably doing fairly soon. There haven't been as many improvements in most of the other appliances and stuff over the years.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ashton1012 wrote:

As sweet as that would be, I don’t think I could ever justify it on this old rig. I think I’d spend more on the fuel injection kit than the whole RV is worth

Yep, you can buy a lot of gas for the price of a FI system. I wouldn't even consider it.

Capt Steve

central CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check that the heat riser valve in the exhaust manifold is working properly. Replace the PCV valve. Make sure the dual fuel tank valve is working. If it has hydroboost brakes, check the fluid.

My rig's a little old but that don't mean she's slow.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Vintage RV upgrades
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.