|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 75 Speed Limit - How Fast

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would agree about a slow moving Car, BUT we have an 8' wide 13' tall Wall, if thay can't see that well ahead of time, they better get their eyes examined.
My best mileage is between 61 - 63, but my xmission won't go into 6th gear in tow/haul mode until above 63, so my cruise is set at 65. Have approx 100K towing at that speed and haven't caused an accident and I get where I'm going.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

I would agree about a slow moving Car, BUT we have an 8' wide 13' tall Wall, if thay can't see that well ahead of time, they better get their eyes examined.
My best mileage is between 61 - 63, but my xmission won't go into 6th gear in tow/haul mode until above 63, so my cruise is set at 65. Have approx 100K towing at that speed and haven't caused an accident and I get where I'm going.

x2. Not long ago Oregon's speed limits were, Semi's 55, Cars 65. Most cars went 70+. Never any issues with rear ending a semi doing 55.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

But the "My snot is in good shape! I'm a great drive!" can't cope? All want to yell "Get Off My Road!"

Sorry I am having trouble understanding what you are saying. What's the comment about snot and I am a great drive and can't cope???

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

I drive at 68, tire are rated higher but at 70 the mileage falls like a rock. I do see on I75 many trailers at 60 or 62 this is a bad thing because as cars move into the left lane they leave a 60+ zone and go into a 80+ zone. A lot of brake lights and a nasty experience for all.

Sure, only those that drive sensibly and within the speed limits should be inconvenienced.

In Michigan that would be most everyone. People here drive at 80 as a norm.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Anyone that says they get their best mileage at 72 MPH is not in touch with reality. Since aerodynamic drag increases dramatically as speed increases, it is impossible to reverse basic laws of physics. Slow down AND grow up.

Another city dweller that lives in an area your lucky to maintain 55. Go west I know my vehicle & worked numbers for many years an know where my vehicle runs best. Diesels love to work and work best pulling loads, that's why you never see gas long hauls. 72mph the engines loafing at 2000 rpm, right in the power range:
Per Ford:
Horsepower: 450 hp at 2,800 rpm
Torque: 935 lb?ft at 1,600 rpm
Jump in your Prius and drive on.

I wish my diesel got decent mileage at 72. Been there and tried that and didn't work out too well. My best mileage is 63-65

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

I wish my diesel got decent mileage at 72. Been there and tried that and didn't work out too well. My best mileage is 63-65

Mike

Get a tuner, Emission compliant, better power, better mileage, all it does is reprogram the ECU & TCU, trucks all stock other wise. Factory sets everything the same for all vehicles, while the tuner lets you pick from a few "programs", normally econo/tow/horse power. I use tow and it is supposed to add 50hp in the reprogram. Some also "shift on the fly" were you can change while driving, mine does not.

* This post was edited 09/05/20 08:08pm by an administrator/moderator *

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/20 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah.. I've thought of that. Had one for my Challenger, so familiar how they work.

Mike

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 12:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Michelle.S wrote:

x2. Not long ago Oregon's speed limits were, Semi's 55, Cars 65. Most cars went 70+. Never any issues with rear ending a semi doing 55.

Very seldom that semis run at their speed limit, now days the limits are 65 autos, 60 trucks most semis run between 65 and 70, autos 65 and 75.
Running 20 mph below the flow of traffic in the right lane, basically setup a rolling road block.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 01:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Many states the speed limit for vehicles over 10,000 pounds GVW must obey truck speed limit.

The funny part of that is in California speed limit is number of axles based. So a short unstable box van can run at 70 or 75 while three of more axles is limited to 55 MPH. An eighteen wheeler is more stable on the road than most box vans.

California seems to get a few things right and the rest wrong.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 01:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Anyone that says they get their best mileage at 72 MPH is not in touch with reality. Since aerodynamic drag increases dramatically as speed increases, it is impossible to reverse basic laws of physics. Slow down AND grow up.

I have a caveat to that. We towed a 16K high profile 5th wheel and a combine weight of 24,500 lbs for two years. Then parked the 5th wheel at summer RV Park and for two years have towed a 8K bumper pull. At the same speed in TH at 60 MPH in 5th gear, the mileage was almost exactly the same. The truck will not shift into 6th gear with TH until 65+ MPH. So the second year I started towing a little faster and in 6th gear (no TH) and fuel mileage improved because I was in a taller gear and lower RPMs.

I do agree in general the only way to improve fuel mileage is to slow down. Towing a RV trailer over 65MPH is not something I want to do and in my mind not wise.

The whole, I have to keep up with traffic on a multi lane road is a bit bogus to me. California has been living for years with state wide speed differentials between cars/small trucks and those with 3 axles or more.

We have traveled through California many times towing and just fit in with a pack of trucks that run 59-61 MPH. Never an issue! Those that say it is an issues are fooling themselves, to justify driving faster.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 75 Speed Limit - How Fast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.