RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Cracked frame Heartland/Lippert - Warranty but no help!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cracked frame Heartland/Lippert - Warranty but no help!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 03:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take the trailer to a heavy duty truck-trailer shop and have it done right. Show them the X-Factor crossmember product. Providing lateral support with the purchased product or simply adding steel will help greatly. You can play around with RV dealers, frame manufacturers or the RV builder, but it will only be fixed right when you make it happen. Yes, I was thru this but gave up when Lippert showed me a scrap of paper with an incredibly poor sketch of the proposed repair. I made crossmembers and did 100% of the work myself.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lot guys are real handy. but I,d hire it out to a welding shop. one that shows some intrest in your problem.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may be possible to get it to the USA but it will cost.
Basically you take it to the border and drop it
Then a Towing service picks it up.
You do not actually enter the USA.. And the towing service only enters canada a few feet (not past customs) .... but of course they are gonna want to get paid for the delivery.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those cracks are from insufficient strength of the structure itself, welding them back up without a LOT of additional metal will result in the same cracks developing in the future, likely out of warranty.

Before any changes are made I would recommend you have a licensed engineer have a look at it, if the design is inadequate you will need a lot more than just some welding.

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my opinion, which is worth pennies, those cracks were caused by excessive heat in the base metal when welding the hangers on, and there's a good chance that the other hangers might be the same. I'm guessing that the shop that found the second one looked at them all, but the first 2 were pretty gross cracks. Look for any sign of a rust colored line.
Not an expert, just trying to help.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights

PamfromVA

Bedford County, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Posted By: bedpan on 08/28/20 08:54pm

Very good information.. And to be fair I have not talked to Lippert.. How does this cracking compare to yours if you don't mind me asking?

Covid is throwing a wrench into things for sure. It just seems that no one is jumping up to help. In my mind I have warranty. I brought it to the dealer I bought it from. Things should be taken care of from there..

ours was in the same place. you could see daylight which is how I noticed the problem.

Lippert was pretty good to deal with. The camper was in the shop a couple of days after we got home.

2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sorry you have this problem and with all due respect, you are part of the problem. Lippert asked you to find a qualified shop willing to repair the frame, and apparently offered to assist with if nothing else, the knowledge on how to repair. You in turn, said not my problem its under warranty you find someone to fix it. Why don't you become involved, work with Lippert to get it fixed, and move on with your life?

It seems that Lippert's dealer network in the area is not qualified to make the repairs, and they want you to help in finding a shop to do the repairs. Seems very reasonable on their part.

* This post was edited 08/30/20 07:15pm by an administrator/moderator *

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems to be an inordinate amount of rust on the frame. Do they salt the roads up there? Do you do any off roading with this rig? I read an article by an RV chassis engineer who said they are not designed for off road use; can't handle the stress. You got free advice from an attorney here, I would take it. Sorry you have to deal with this. Find out how Lippert would repair it, have it done, then seek reimbursment from Lippert.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Saskatchewan, to weld on a vehicle frame requires a special license. I would imagine the same would be true in Ontario. I would suggest that without the licensed welder, if a repair is done--you have made the unit uninsureable.

Do things by snail mail. Any correspondence you send--keep a copy--and mail a copy to yourself. Do not open the copy letters to yourself. The post mark makes them a legal document.

* This post was edited 08/29/20 11:21am by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allstate 275 Super Missile Weld is a DC reverse polarity rod. Therefore home welding is not likely. Try welding it with a "buzz box" and you get something akin to buzzard diarrhea. The extremely low heat needed avoids parallel cracking. Compared to a wire weld or 7018 or 7024 lo-hy this eutectic is a miracle for repair work.

It is best to first gouge out the crack using a high-speed air grinder.

Take the eighth-inch rod to a licensed welded along with published spec data on the product. If he looks like the stuff is printed in Sanscrit find another welder. This -expensive- material was developed especially for this type of welding and dissimilar metals welding. If the welder insists on using 6013 or 7018 low hydrogen rod, leave. Fast.

ATA, or TTMA, big rigs have their own strict welding and drilling restrictions.

Personal Opinion
Travel trailers have some of the shoddiest construction and welding I have ever seen.

And for those "elucidated" folks who may frown ignorance at Allstate 275, trying cutting or grinding it or bashing it to try and break it loose from the parent metal.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cracked frame Heartland/Lippert - Warranty but no help!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.