|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> 24 ft ClassC MH downsides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Sponsored By:
whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac,

We have a 2002 Winnebago 24v Class C withe the 158" WB on a E350 chassis.

Completely empty, it weighs just under 10,000 pounds. Full of fluids and gear for a long trip, we topped out at 11,400 pounds, just under the GVWR of 11,500.

On ALL of our other RV's (truck campers, truck&trailer, diesel pusher, etc) my wife refused to drive. With this Class C, my wife does 2/3's the driving. The Winnie handles like a breeze.

The new chassis are supposed to be even better. I would not be concerned about a E350 chassis.

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 23 foot class C and before that a Dodge van conversion. I grew to hate having cardboard boxes in the aisle etc. and having to convert couches into beds and and back again. There was little space for storage and clutter became depressing on long trips or extended camping. Going from a 32 foot to a 24 foot RV will be a big change.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bordercollie wrote:

We had a 23 foot class C and before that a Dodge van conversion. I grew to hate having cardboard boxes in the aisle etc. and having to convert couches into beds and and back again. There was little space for storage and clutter became depressing on long trips or extended camping. Going from a 32 foot to a 24 foot RV will be a big change.

Probably some small Class C motorhomes do much better on storage than what you describe. For example, our 24 foot Class C has:

- The entire area under both dinette seats available for storage.
- Large partitioned-off separate areas at the foot and head of the overhead cab bed available for storage that run the full width of the bed.
- Overhead cabinets above the lounge chair, above the dinette area, and above the kitchen double sink area.
- Two closets for storage of clothing.
- Drawers and cabinets under the kitchen areas, under and over the bathroom sink, under the refrigerator, and under one of the closets.
- Overhead cabinets above and around the corner of the rear corner bed area.
- Seven outside storage bays, with two of them extending under the floor laterally across the width of the coach for storage of long items.
- Two storage areas under each cab seat.

We don't have to transport anything on the roof, on either bumper, or strapped to the roof-access ladder. The only thing "under foot" when we travel is the enclosed crate, seat-belted in a dinette seat, for the dog so that she can travel somewhat restrained and safe. [emoticon]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/20 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whizbang wrote:

Gjac,

We have a 2002 Winnebago 24v Class C withe the 158" WB on a E350 chassis.

Completely empty, it weighs just under 10,000 pounds. Full of fluids and gear for a long trip, we topped out at 11,400 pounds, just under the GVWR of 11,500.

On ALL of our other RV's (truck campers, truck&trailer, diesel pusher, etc) my wife refused to drive. With this Class C, my wife does 2/3's the driving. The Winnie handles like a breeze.

The new chassis are supposed to be even better. I would not be concerned about a E350 chassis.
Did you need any suspension add on's to make it handle like a breeze? Or did it handle well from the factory?

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/20 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Bordercollie wrote:

Probably some small Class C motorhomes do much better on storage than what you describe. For example, our 24 foot Class C has:

- The entire area under both dinette seats available for storage.
- Large partitioned-off separate areas at the foot and head of the overhead cab bed available for storage that run the full width of the bed.
- Overhead cabinets above the lounge chair, above the dinette area, and above the kitchen double sink area.
- Two closets for storage of clothing.
- Drawers and cabinets under the kitchen areas, under and over the bathroom sink, under the refrigerator, and under one of the closets.
- Overhead cabinets above and around the corner of the rear corner bed area.
- Seven outside storage bays, with two of them extending under the floor laterally across the width of the coach for storage of long items.
- Two storage areas under each cab seat.

We don't have to transport anything on the roof, on either bumper, or strapped to the roof-access ladder. The only thing "under foot" when we travel is the enclosed crate, seat-belted in a dinette seat, for the dog so that she can travel somewhat restrained and safe. [emoticon]

Wow, there have been some real storage improvements in short rigs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> 24 ft ClassC MH downsides
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.