|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Inverter installation question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mattyj

Long Island.New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was recently at the beach on a rainy day in the morning and my wife wanted a cup of coffee I had to run out and start the generator in the sand and rain that's the only reason I want an inverter. LOL

2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs and Stable Loads 2004 Lancelite 835 ,a/c ,electric jacks , conveince/all weather packages

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mattyj wrote:

I was recently at the beach on a rainy day in the morning and my wife wanted a cup of coffee I had to run out and start the generator in the sand and rain that's the only reason I want an inverter. LOL
That's a good reason.

The 600w draw is a little better, that's 50 amps. Now we're getting into 'maybe' territory, depending on how long the coffee takes. Get ready for people to tell you how else to make coffee. I myself will not.

It's possible a lithium battery could do this, but it'll cost you.

mattyj

Long Island.New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year I spend $400 on this life line deep cycle battery I can't afford another battery, as for the coffee I guess I could use instant which would be fine with me but not with her LOL

mattyj

Long Island.New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year I spend $400 on this life line deep cycle battery I can't afford another battery, as for the coffee I guess I could use instant which would be fine with me but not with her LOL

rtk2

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Group 27RV battery is about 100 Ah. Times 12 volts = 1200 watt-hrs. 50% usable capacity reduces the available energy to 600 watt-hrs. So in a perfect world with a fully charged battery and no other loads, it will supply 600 watts for one hour, assuming 100% efficient inverter. Most cheap inverters are about 75-80% efficient.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mattyj wrote:

Sorry I should have been more specific I will only use 1000 watt inverter to power a 600 watt coffee maker, I won't even bother with the mv.

Get a French Press....or a generator. One battery will not suffice for a coffee maker, microwave, blow dryer, or electric heater. They all use a ton of power.

mattyj

Long Island.New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I guess an inverter is not in my future, thanks everyone for your input and help, coffee press never heard of it sounds interesting I will look into it thanks Lou

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of people run the small coffee makers on power stations like the Yetti and Jackery 1000 watt hours....It works fine...They have built in 1000 watt Pure Sine wave inverters..I don't see why a group 27 battery with more amp hours wouldn't work...

They also run the small Instapot off of them...I'm buying a small coffee maker which users 650 watts for the same reason you did...

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been using and abusing inverters for decades on different vehicles and assuming you have 100 Ah battery, you might power 1000 w microwave out of it for couple of minutes.
Too many variables to be specific, but first thing to check is to make sure inverter has good cooling flow. With power close to max output, it could overheat faster than battery will drop the voltage to cut it off. Length of cables will play role as long cable will create higher voltage drop.
Over the years I managed to get 800W coffee maker and 800W toaster.
Even you could calculate that running 1200 coffee maker for 6 minutes and 800W 9 minutes takes the same energy -inverters tend to work much better at lower power draw.
Beware that at high load - the voltage will drop below 110V, so heating time will need to be extended.
My favorite experience was using 1200W inverter to run 1500W oven on my boat with 30 amp alternator and 60 Ah battery.
When I used oven only with engine on, it would routinely cut off after 7 minutes, what was due to overheating.
Boat had good cooling and San Francisco Bay is never really warm, yet overheating still was main problem.
The 30 amp charging breaker never flip.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From the article on coffee makers..

I’m going to assume that you live in a travel trailer, van, or RV and have some way to get power in the morning. For me, I use my goal zero or my inverter generator to power my coffee maker. Because the amount of watts each of these puts out is limited I have a small coffee maker that doesn’t use more than 625 watts while brewing.

If you don’t have a way to get power, pour-over coffee makers are a great way to go. I have one as a back up that I use some mornings when my battery is empty or I don’t want to start up the generator. If you live in an RV, van, or car there are even 12-volt options for making coffee.

Now to the question. What coffee maker should I buy for my RV? It should be small for easy storage, and energy-efficient. All the coffee makers on my list can be run with a good quality 1000 watt generator or a Goal Zero Yeti 1000.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Inverter installation question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.