|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Strange Electrical Issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An inverter and a converter are different things.

A converter takes 120V power from the shore power or generator and turns it into 12V power to charge the house battery and power the 12V systems when the generator is running or you're connected to shore power.

An inverter takes 12V power and makes it into 120V power so you can run 120V stuff, at least to a limited extent, when you don't have the generator running or shore power available. Thus, it's the exact opposite or complement of a converter. (Some better/fancier/more expensive inverters are combination inverter/charger units, and these can take the place of a converter.)

The electrical center could very well house the converter; that's one common arrangement. In such cases, the converter itself is typically the lower section of the electrical center, with the circuit breakers and fuses above it. Alternately, the converter may also be a separate standalone box that's mounted just about anywhere in the RV.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The converter changes 120 V to 12 V to charge the battery and run the 12V appliances. It's going any time you are plugged in.

The inverter takes 12V from the battery and converts it to 120 V to run your appliances like microwave, hair dryer, etc.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Converter is DOA. Replace it before your next trip. Contact Randy at Bestconverter.com. Get his recommendation on what you should replace it with.

I just replaced mine on a 4 year old unit. It stopped charging the battery but everything else worked, even the 12 volt appliances when I was plugged into shore power. It's not a difficult project to replace it yourself...just unplug it from shore power and disconnect the battery. All will be dead so no electrons to worry about.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brucegwhite wrote:

Several of you mentioned the converter. Forgive my ignorance but is this the same as the inverter? I have an electrical box with fuses and circuit breakers that controls everything in the coach and my understanding is that this is the inverter. It failed 2 years ago and I had it replaced.
post the model number of what was replaced so we know what you have.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce,

I do not know your coach, but most power/charge the house ban from the main engine. Many generators can also charge the house bank with their own battery charging system. That is why things worked when you got engines running. I suggest that you need to have a juice familiar friend diagnose the system now that you are home. If you let the house bank get down too far, it will not recover and will need to be replaced.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest you put an automotive battery charger
On your house batteries for a few days,
Bring them to full charge before they are totally ruined

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

brucegwhite

Springfield, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the coach battery; wouldn’t hold a charge. It doesn’t charge with the onboard generator; it only charged with the vehicle engine on. So sounds like a bad converter. I’ll get on it. Thx so much to all of you!

30' 2007 Chateau Sport Class C
30 amp
Chevy Vortec Engine
No Slideouts

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should have combination charger/converter/inverter check it for three pins or whatever the proper nomenclature is and make sure they are all pushed in. Is it dying I don't know without looking at it Find a good RV Repairman.Check your house batteries. The lights etc run on or though them. Some units may not have a refrigerator that runs on ac. But first find the house breakers. Our has two one each for the heat pumps and two more one each for the two 120 volt plug ins circuits which includes the convection/microwave
However it does sounds like the inverter but unless a surge got to it it may still be good. If you replace it get the next higher rated unit.
The Inverter should be in the compartment next to the battery compartment which should be dry and watertight.

* This post was edited 09/01/20 12:54pm by down home *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Strange Electrical Issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.