|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Times Up, Told You So, DirecTV is Dead

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

timmac wrote:

AT&T is reportedly trying to sell DirecTV to private-equity investors just five years after buying the satellite provider. The negotiations with potential buyers come after millions of customers ditched DirecTV over the past two years, and could value DirecTV at much less than the $49 billion AT&T paid for it.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020........l-directv-after-massive-customer-losses/

Millions cutting the cord, would not buy that expensive satellite dish..

[emoticon]
You are worse than a politician about spreading fake news about Sat tv. You really STRETCH the truth.Viewership down, sure but far from dead.

And viewership will continue to drop, no one goes full internet and ever goes back to satellite TV or cable TV, that's old school with tons of commercials and high monthly cost with few good programs, internet supplies the full spectrum of all programs world wide and much of it is Free..

AT&T see's the satellite TV service dying daily and they are getting out before its buried.

We will see how cheap this sale will be, I suspect they are going to take a bath on this sale cause anyone with half a brain can see this is a dead business with no long term future.

[emoticon]

Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

Elon Musk is working on that is it will be up and running very soon, also the government has invested millions into rural internet and check your phone line service, many offer good internet thru the phone line..

The problem is that the phone line doesn't stretch very far when we connect it to our RV...

----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

timmac wrote:

Elon Musk is working on that is it will be up and running very soon, also the government has invested millions into rural internet and check your phone line service, many offer good internet thru the phone line..

The problem is that the phone line doesn't stretch very far when we connect it to our RV...

It will take a while for low cost internet to get the RV full-timers.

Full timers and far out rural folks will be at the end of the line when it comes to good low cost internet, but that is such a small amount of people that a billion dollar company cant keep its doors open, Elon will have internet up soon than rural folks and full-timers not in the city will have good internet at what cost I don't know but its coming.

Satellite TV is a dead horse that is rotting away behind the barn that has not been buried yet..

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

wildtoad wrote:

K Charles wrote:

When will the internet come to the country?

You can get internet via satellite. Yet one more dish atop a RV or house.

Sure, pay $80 per month and get high latency, laggy Internet and have very low data caps.. Your a funny guy.. Not.

There is NOTHING free, Timac is well known for stirring the pot bragging that Sat Dishes are dead.. They are very far from dead, still well alive and kicking, sorry Timac, your "predictions" are dead.

BOTH Dish and Direct are STILL there AND there is a new no frills sat service called "Orby" making that now THREE sat services.. You are also forgetting about cable services, many people shuffle around whatever service gives the best deal.. Not unusual to see folks exit one service only to show up using another service.

Streaming is not viable "everywhere", costs a lot of money to support a streaming habit and streaming HD video requires considerable speed and data allowances, something that is often missing in rural areas that are under served or not served by Cell phone, fiber or cable.

Streaming also requires on to PAY for streaming accounts, not ALL channels on sat or cable is available on every streaming service do your end result is paying $5 here, $10 there for each service a month and after paying for three or more services and adding in the additional internet costs you are now in it for MORE than what it would cost for just getting your fix from Dish, Direct, Orby or your local cable co..

Everything in this post is a worst case scenario. I get truly unlimited data pretty cheap - you just have to hunt for deals. We have several streaming services and all summed up don't equate to half of what I would pay if I had Satellite. And that's first year. Sat companies have a way of doubling your "introductory" price after the first year. So I pay about 1/4 of what a long term Sat subscriber would pay. Add to that, I get way more content and content I want instead paying for a lot I don't.

X2

I cut the cord years ago and still pay less than the basic package DirecTV was giving me and I get 5 times the programs, internet cost is not that much if you shop around and besides I need internet for my business so that cost is not a factor for me, internet gets you a hundred times more programs than dish/dircTV combined, you pay for only what you want and many of it is Free..

With internet you can even watch your local news anywhere in North/South America, cant do that with dish/direcTV..

Timac, you are full of it.

Perhaps you should move away from the big city and see what life looks like without fiber internet.

My phone co only offers 1.5 mbs for $100 per month, has so bad of latency even DSL reports speed test does not function. Streaming SD video is an exercise of frustration and HD streaming is out..

Just recently moved to cable Internet, now paying $150 per month just so my DD is able to do college online Zoom with out the need of waiting 2 minutes for the video to catch up..

Sat Internet is a terrible option also, anyone who has no other alternative hates it with a passion, it is not what those smiling faces on TV commercials try to make it out.. Getting email on Sat Internet can be a chore.

Even my cable co Internet service, it has data caps, streaming video and especially HD video can easily exceed a lot of data caps..

I have zero care to stream, I HAVE had to deal with streaming video at my work place, it has been very frustrating to deal with video lag, blocky pixelated picturers to frozen screens to complete loss of screens under BUSINESS purposes let alone in watching constant reruns of of most cable programming.

From what I have gathered, you MUST join and pay a FEE for EACH streaming service, not EVERY streaming service offers EVERY possible TV show that can be found on Dish or Direct. So, you have to join Netflix, Disney, Showtime, HBO, Amazon prime and on and on..

$5 there, $5 here, $10 there, $10 for Amazon Prime and so on per month you will shovel out to get "premium content" just sign up for 5 services then add in the cost of Internet and you easily exceed what I pay for Dish or even Direct.

I might also point out, Internet streaming uses very high video and audio compression, on a GOOD TV it IS very noticable, while Dish and Direct also use compression, it is at a much lower level. I can easily see the difference, to me, the compression artifacts are distracting..

If you are using a phone or Tablet to stream your programs, you will never see compression distortion and you are not worried about butchered audio.. However, SOME folks like myself DO care when we put it on 50" or larger TVs.

Streaming has it's place in life but as a "main stream" video programing source it is not. Most folks do not really add all the costs up of streaming, I DO. Must have stable FAST enough Internet which is not cheap, MUST signup and PAY for each streaming service, once again not cheap.

Then if you have more than one TV, you will need PAY FOR multiple accounts or HIGHER SERVICE TIERS which will cost you more..

Example, Basic Netflix account allows for ONE "Device" at $7.99 per month for SD video.. Want 2 you have to Bump up to Standard "HD Plan" at $10.99 per month.. FOUR or more "devices" and you have to sign up for Netflix "Premium plan" which is $13.99 per month!

Doesn't take much to start cutting into your supposed savings for cutting the cord if you are a household of more than one..

I have my Dish setup serving my whole house (6 TVs) for under $100 and I also have DVR too boot.. I am not paying extra for each TV either..

Like I mentioned, sat TV IS still here, It has not gone away like you predicted and it WILL be here for a considerably much longer time than you like to preach.. With the introduction of Orby a couple of years ago the Sat TV folks are making a lier out of your doomsday prediction.

Maybe in 50 or 100 yrs from now your prediction might come true, but by then standalone TVs may have become a thing of the past like Black and White NTSC TVs with only VHF tuners (I DO remember those).

Beaker

Brevard, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cut my bill to less than half of Direct TV and see everything I want.
Direct TV is something like a drug, many people addicted to certain programs at certain times. Didn't think that the internet here was fast enough in the country but was enough for streaming. It will support 2 tvs, no problem.
I would not go back to Direct TV even if was free.

Timmac might be a bit overboard but how many horse and buggies did you pass on your way to work?
Try to find a pay phone lately?
Buy a car or truck without air bags lately?
Scan your own purchases at Lowes or Walmart?
Check out persons will be obsolete some day.
When was the last LP record you bought?

Satellite TV will be gone someday. Question is when.

2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

chuckbear

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My god, timmac has to stir up this same old story time after time if he can't find someone already discussing satellite service. His predictions of DirecTV's demise next year has been going on for years. Responding just feeds into his craziness. Maybe someone should dig up information on the internet about his demise by next year. That would be a better discussion than this same tired old rhetoric. He apparently has an ax to grind with DirecTV and has made it his mission in life. Too bad he has to bring it here constantly. If you like DirecTV, keep it. They are not going anywhere anytime soon. If you don't like it, move on. His streaming pitch is not for everyone. We use it but not as a replacement for our satellite service. It doesn't work for us any many others. If streaming works for you, great, but we don't need to hear over and over how we will all lose our satellite service soon. Most of the business DirecTV lost went to Dish, which if you don't know, is a satellite provider. Give us all a break. Chuck

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Then if you have more than one TV, you will need PAY FOR multiple accounts or HIGHER SERVICE TIERS which will cost you more..

Example, Basic Netflix account allows for ONE "Device" at $7.99 per month for SD video.. Want 2 you have to Bump up to Standard "HD Plan" at $10.99 per month.. FOUR or more "devices" and you have to sign up for Netflix "Premium plan" which is $13.99 per month!

Not True, I have 2 TV's in my house and 2 TV's in the RV and they are all under the same Netflix and Amazon account, 1 cost for all 4 TV's.
{ No up cost for additional TV's never seen this or heard this, unless its new and I am grandfathered in }

However my home internet is different than my RV internet but my business pays for both internets.

I like how those that don't stream seem to know the true cost, well let me tell you its cheaper and 10 times better than satellite ever will be not including the internet service..

However 85 percent of the population needs internet so might as well stream your programs for free or a small cost than pay a separate satellite company..

[emoticon]

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuckbear wrote:

Most of the business DirecTV lost went to Dish, which if you don't know, is a satellite provider. Give us all a break. Chuck

Wrong most of all satellite TV service was lost do to those cutting the cord to go streaming, Dish and DirecTV both lost millions of accounts over the past 3 years and will loose millions more in the next 2 years..

[emoticon]

maga

Oxfofd, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This post spreads like covid. A bunch of BULLSH#T

The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

352 wrote:

This post spreads like covid. A bunch of BULLSH#T

Covid is half fake..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Times Up, Told You So, DirecTV is Dead
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.