|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Times Up, Told You So, DirecTV is Dead

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/20 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Thanks for keeping your post kind and civil. I know all the facts and the facts include not being able to change the speed of light. A signal to a tower a mile away and a tower 250 miles away WILL increase latency no matter what. I like how you imply I think I am smarter than Elon but belittling me offers no real benefits here.

I think you missed that part about how many satellites are going to be in the Starlink web and how fast the speed of light (ie, the laser part you missed before too) transmits data. Seriously, you should read the entire article and think a bit before trying to say it doesnt work.
No where has anyone other than you implied that data transmission is instanteous. All comparisons are made to the best commercial grade broadband has today. And Elon is about to CRUSH that whether anyone likes it or not.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/20 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should have been more clear. The distance to an Earth based transmitter is actually 500 miles (250 miles up and 250 miles down) and then you hit an Earth station.
A) I never said it won't work
B) The speed of light is what it is.
C) NEVER have I implied that data transmission is instantaneous, it is controlled by the speed of light. The speed from my cell to the tower or the speed from my phone to the satellite and back to Earth. I have been working with satellite internet for years and the improvement in latency to a satellite 250 miles above the Earth compared to the latency from a Geo-synchronous satellite located 22,500 miles above the Earth will be AWESOME. Would I give up by fiber internet for any kind of satellite based internet? Of course not...and neither would you!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apparently you are still not reading more than the titles to the links. Try again and note the part about lowering orbits and such.
AND especially concentrate on the part about comparisons to broadband speeds that have ALREADY been achieved. (and before you start on again about just being tests, also note that 42000 satellite vs where we are today part).

If youre not bothering to read the meat of the matter that SpaceX is publishing why are you bothering to argue with yourself. If you are having trouble with some of the releases, PLEASE say so and I'll be happy to help.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/20 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could write a book about how I will be able to make my RV fly in the near future but that still won't make it true. You seem to ignore the parts where I agree the internet service will work. Of course it will work. Will anyone give up Fiber Internet for satellite Internet? Of course not!

shastagary

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

In March, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said, "We're targeting latency below 20 milliseconds

read the part about latency in this article SpaceX Starlink speeds revealed

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huh-Oh, bill. The Future Train is coming on HARD now. Better get off the tracks or youll be run over!
referring to this Thursady's launch: "...if successful, Starlink-12 would leave SpaceX just two launches away from a constellation large enough – or nearly so – to begin public internet service beta tests."
https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-drone-ship-departure-next-starlink-launch/

And you are dead wrong in your last post. File it away and get back to us in a couple of years when you have to eat it.
The Future is coming and there is nothing any of us can do but embrace it or get run over. GO ELON!

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"... that the tests so far show the network has “super low latency” with download speeds greater than 100 megabits per second. That’s fast enough to stream multiple HD movies at once, and still have bandwidth to spare..."

Your broadband good for that kind of speed, bill? I didnt think so. I guess we dont have to wait years afterall!

And Oopsie on that ground station thing you griped about:
"SpaceX has also begun testing spacecraft with inter-satellite laser links, which could eventually allow data traffic to flow through the network without going through ground relay stations. "

“With 1,440 satellites, that’s when we get 24/7 global coverage, and the plan is to not stop there,” Hofeller said. “We’ll continue to launch, and with each launch, we can provide more and more capacity. There’s never enough capacity. You can’t limit what your kids want to watch, and what your family wants to consume. So we’ll continue to densify the network.”
I love the future.

Quotes source:
https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/09/16/spacex-plans-falcon-9-launch-thursday-
from-kennedy-space-center/

Oh, and in case you want to watch the latest batch of 60 launch today Thursday at 2.19pm, here's the link:
https://www.spacex.com/
(only 60% chance of good weather tho)

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/20 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Snore! "Super Low Latency",......compared to what? Wouldn't a number make more sense? Of course it is super low compared to standard satellite internet, but likely not as good as ground based that does not need to make a 500 mile round trip. Do you really believe NO ground stations will be required? Obviously that's not true.
Elon's 100 megabit service will never provide end users with that kind of service just the same as the touted capabilities of Fiber or Cable rarely provide the end users with that full service. 100 megabits with 10 users online is likely working really well. Let's see when there are 1000 people hitting each satellite. Price is still not out there either. Somehow you are going to have to get a return on the Billions and Billions being spent to get it all setup.
You continue to imply that I say it will not work. I have never said that I would appreciate it if you would quit lying about that.
At least there is some truth in the above post where you say:
"File it away and get back to us in a couple of years......"
That's a more likely time line than the topic of this thread which is DirecTV is Dead.

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/20 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Elon's 100 megabit service will never provide end users with that kind of service just the same as the touted capabilities of Fiber or Cable rarely provide the end users with that full service.

People forget that Starlink is intended as a rural Internet service, not urban. Starlink doesn't (and won't) have that sort of bandwidth.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Archie Kravitz

Egypt

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/20 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just gave away a hd direcTV weingard sat dish. You Tube TV on a Roku. $75 with showtime. unlimited DVR and 10 different Rokus' no more $55/month receiver rental. (no sports fee either)
Most RV parks have free wifi, works great.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Times Up, Told You So, DirecTV is Dead
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.