|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Times Up, Told You So, DirecTV is Dead

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AT&T had a grand plan to control ALL communications.. Basically Rebuild the old BELL TELEPONE and then some (Been their plan all along) The problem with DirecTV (And Dish) is Roku, apple TV -etal

You get decent unlmited Internet bandwidth you don't need the sat dish and monthly sat bill.. You got it all.

Me.. Depending on where I'm parked. and it appears I'm about to settle in the land of "Fairly decent coverage" I have so much OVER THE AIR TV that my DVR's overload and I have to off load 'em to long term storage.

(I have two DVR's and a compter all networked. the computer downloads the Program guide, modifies it for upload to the DVR's. which do all the DVR things (LIke record any program with NCIS in the name) and I can download to the comptuer and transfer to any portable device if I wish. They also let me start watching in one room. Finish in the other and so on. Like I said all the fancy pause fast forward rewind stuff too. Only instead of 100/month is't 25/year for the electronin TV Guide.. that's all folks.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired JSO wrote:

I don’t worry how they pay their dividend but enjoy it 4 times a year.

I should have bought more when it dipped below 28 earlier this year
[emoticon]

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

AT&T had a grand plan to control ALL communications.. Basically Rebuild the old BELL TELEPONE and then some (Been their plan all along) The problem with DirecTV (And Dish) is Roku, apple TV -etal

You get decent unlmited Internet bandwidth you don't need the sat dish and monthly sat bill.. You got it all.

Me.. Depending on where I'm parked. and it appears I'm about to settle in the land of "Fairly decent coverage" I have so much OVER THE AIR TV that my DVR's overload and I have to off load 'em to long term storage.

(I have two DVR's and a compter all networked. the computer downloads the Program guide, modifies it for upload to the DVR's. which do all the DVR things (LIke record any program with NCIS in the name) and I can download to the comptuer and transfer to any portable device if I wish. They also let me start watching in one room. Finish in the other and so on. Like I said all the fancy pause fast forward rewind stuff too. Only instead of 100/month is't 25/year for the electronin TV Guide.. that's all folks.

Wow what a setup, maybe I need to move forward on my downloading movies to watch off my laptop in RV when traveling, I was told I could upload thru the Roku box but have not tried it yet, I cut the cord years ago and my household yearly TV cost is $300 a Year and I get 5 times what DirecTV was giving me at $70.00 per Month..

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

AT&T had a grand plan to control ALL communications.. Basically Rebuild the old BELL TELEPONE and then some (Been their plan all along) The problem with DirecTV (And Dish) is Roku, apple TV -etal ...
AT&T bet big on FTTN and a proprietary version of IPTV (I think they had Microsoft "invent it" so you know they paid big $$$ !) Bad bet !!!

Of course to add to the confusion U-Verse is now called AT&T TV.

Even more confusion for the consumer is there are 3 different TV offerings under the AT&T TV "umbrella". Besides the DirecTV Satellite, there is the AT&T TV Now (the old DirecTV Now) and the "new" AT&T TV which looks a lot like most cable TV providers (set top box required at additional cost).

It is difficult to find the number of subscribers they have under the AT&T TV umbrella, but it keeps going down !

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/2........ing-pressure-to-hbo-max-launch/

Quote:

The company’s newer pay TV service, AT&T TV, only just became available nationwide in March. But despite its “streaming” nature — it ships with an Android TV-powered box to deliver TV over the internet — consumers may have already caught on to the fact that it’s still just the worst of pay TV wrapped up in a new delivery mechanism.

joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/20 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Listening to you guys, I'm really glad I have Shaw Direct.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live 30 miles from Hartford and have no cell service. No version but AT T out on the lawn. My mother lives one town over and has no cell service but she has cable. My sister lives the next town over and she has no cell service. My brother lives in NY and has no cell service. We have no cable on our street. Satellite is no going away until cell service is a little more available.

Beaker

Brevard, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/20 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Satellite is no going away until cell service is a little more available.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
But satellite doesn't care if you have cell service or not.

2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 04:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn't internet thru a phone line be called dial up? [emoticon] Oh sure, those were the good old days NOT.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 04:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

K Charles wrote:

When will the internet come to the country?

Cell coverage handles 99% of the need already.

They can't justify the cost of running a satellite system for 1%.

When will cell service come to the country?

As I said, it's already there for 99% of the population.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Times Up, Told You So, DirecTV is Dead
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.