RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Watch That Diamondplate!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Watch That Diamondplate!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Makes no sense to disconnect the positive first, unless of course you absolutely can't reach the negative post.

I don't know about you, but if I had a dollar for everything in life I've done that "makes no sense," I'd be a rich man.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That could be true, but I'd put disconnecting the positive cable first, up there with checking a gas leak with a match. Or welding an empty gas tank before flushing it out. Or checking how hot something that's glowing, with your finger.

I do enough foolish things that can get me hurt, I certainly need to avoid the easy ones.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be very glad
That it wasn't your wedding ring

I have sparked my share of wrenches

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

ALWAYS disconnect the negative side of a battery first for exactly this reason!!!!
Actually I remove any metal jewelry first.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

rightlaneonly

CA..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the early 60's when I went to work for Standard Stations they taught us to remove all jewelry,especially rings, before working on batteries. I still take it off to this day.

Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
back on the camping trail, bought another Aliner.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone failed to negotiate the straightaway in front of my house and took out the electric pole. As is the procedure, the fireman disconnected the battery that was encased in bent sheet metal, and you guessed it, positive first. I corrected him before it got out of hand.

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's why they make these for those that can't/won't/decide not to remember how and how not to do things and learn the hard way. Insulated wrench

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

I used to have two batteries on the TT tongue and another two in a tote that I would connect to give us four. I had touched that diamond plate with the end wrench a few times and knew it would spark, so I always made it a point to wrap my entire hand around the end of the wrench so that any accidental contact with the diamond plate would be metal on skin (non-conductive) instead of metal on metal.

I wasn't as smart as I thought I was though.

On evening we got to camp a little late and it was already dark and most of my friends were already drinking around the fire. I followed my usual protocol with my palm wrapped around the wrench, but I got careless and let the wrench rest against my gold wedding band. When that gold band (very conductive!) touched the diamond plate, it exploded hard enough to blow the stones from my ring. It was still dark, but I could see the ring glowing brightly and smell my finger burning.

I ran over to the trailer of a friend who arrived just before I did (he wasn't drinking yet) and got him to cut my ring off.

My friends gave me grief for this every time we camped, but they were also pretty sympathetic about the injury and how long it took to heal (I couldn't wear a ring for almost a year). And then exactly a year later one of my buddies came over to heckle me and offer to help. He grabbed my wrench but before I could yell out a warning (time slowed down), he did the exact same doggone thing.

My diamond plate had these two adorable his-and-his weld marks where I and my brain-dead buddy both shocked ourselves.

It's been at least five years and I still remove my ring every night at bedtime to give my finger a break. We've been married for 32 years, but I didn't replace my fine original gold band. I wear cheap $19 bands from Amazon now. And my buddy wears even cheaper rubber rings.

We upgraded trailers since then: No diamond plate and the four batteries are installed permanently.

That's quite the story.

The insulated wrench that was in the posted sounds like a good idea.

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info. I would have never thought about that diamondplate doing that. I have two batteries right there. Sure will remember this post.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought you were going a different way. Long time ago we had a diamond plate tool box mounted to the trailer of a race boat. First time out the sun reflected from the diamond plate on to the black carpet of the trailer. Along with the existing sunlight, melted it right down. Only clue what happened was the diamond plate pattern in the melted carpet.

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Watch That Diamondplate!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.