RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Watch That Diamondplate!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Watch That Diamondplate!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LadyRVer wrote:

Thanks for the info. I would have never thought about that diamondplate doing that. I have two batteries right there. Sure will remember this post.

I'm really glad you posted this response. It makes it worth putting up with the people who are on my case for doing something stupid.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeakEasy wrote:

LadyRVer wrote:

Thanks for the info. I would have never thought about that diamondplate doing that. I have two batteries right there. Sure will remember this post.

I'm really glad you posted this response. It makes it worth putting up with the people who are on my case for doing something stupid.

-Speak

I think I'm in the "stupid" category right there with you. My friend was stupider though. [emoticon]

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I learned about the diamond plate, but it was just a tiny spark.

My biggest blunder was when I had a socket wrench that i was using to install 2 new 12v batteries on my trailer. The wrench slipped from my fingers and i accidentally dropped the socket wrench across the contacts of one of my new batteries when tightening a cable.

Luckily I had a shovle close by I could use to knock the wrench loose with which was now welded to the lugs. I used a rag to pick the wrench up to look at and man was it hot. Had to drop it and let it lay a while. The there was a melted spot on the handle and I was no longer able to operate the thumb lever to change the direction of the gears. Went back to the autoparts store for another battery.

That was about a 100 dollar accident. Now I slip a piece of hose over a wrench when playing with batteries.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was 18 and living in my first house I was changing the element out on the water heater and never though about shutting the power off first. I welded the screw driver to the heater and blew the fuse. Darned Lucky I Wasn't Hurt or Killed.

I never made that mistake again and now I make sure I shut off the power and use a test light just to make sure it's really off.

I still have the screw driver with the bad spot on it where I welded it to the heating element. I keep it around as a reminder.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmmmmmmm, and then I have an antique tractor that is positive ground. [emoticon]

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had some Triumph motorcycles that were positive ground.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Watch That Diamondplate!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.