|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> bigfoot on shortbed srw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
sftcamper

santa fe nm

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have a bigfoot25c9.6sb on a ram 3500 diesel crew cab shortbed srw? Would like to know how it rides and what suspension changes might be needed.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/buyers-guide/hard-side/bigfoot-camper-buyers-guide/

Could probably add a couple hundred more to the "Stuff" weight, depending on your needs. Plus add people and pets.
Your truck year and build packages will factor into what your truck can take.
Whether you want to be driving with that much on an SRW as appose to the extra safety of extra wheels and capacity of a DRW........that will get you into a long, deep debate swamp on here. [emoticon]

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 9.6 BF is not built with enough fiberglass frame structure to support that much weight hanging over the rear of a short bed truck. Also center of gravity would actually reduce front axle weight. My 9.6 only puts 300lbs on the front axle..

I have a friend that has an older BF that is 11'5". Even on a long bed the rear of the camper has sagged quite a bit and caused a delamination of the internal structure of the walls at the rear overhang. He fixed that but the sag was not much better.

My 9'6" does sag just a bit back there too and that is on a long bed. No structure problems though... 20 years, lots of miles and many rough roads! All the way to Prudhoe bay and more.

Lastly... Both the gray and black tanks are in the overhang... 50 gallons when full. Along with that part of the fresh water tank is in that last 1.5' of overhang... A short bed would place about another 2' of water weight in the short bed overhang of the camper.
The 9.6 holds about 50 gallons of fresh water...

Jim

* This post was edited 09/01/20 10:35am by bigfootford *

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^So you’re saying Bigfoot, the most revered campers for quality will break when used as intended/marketed?
Weird.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And OP, if you’re worried about it and the camper stuff clears it, leave the tailgate on for extra support if it seems necessary.

54suds

adk mts.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigfootford wrote:

The 9.6 BF is not built with enough fiberglass frame structure to support that much weight hanging over the rear of a short bed truck. Also center of gravity would actually reduce front axle weight. My 9.6 only puts 300lbs on the front axle..

I have a friend that has an older BF that is 11'5". Even on a long bed the rear of the camper has sagged quite a bit and caused a delimitation of the internal structure of the walls at the rear overhang. He fixed that but the sag was not much better.

My 9'6" does sag just a bit back there too and that is on a long bed. No structure problems though... 20 years, lots of miles and many rough roads! All the way to Prudhoe bay and more.

Lastly... Both the gray and black tanks are in the overhang... 50 gallons when full. Along with that part of the fresh water tank is in that last 1.5' of overhang... A short bed would place about another 2' of water weight in the short bed overhang of the camper.
The 9.6 holds about 50 gallons of fresh water...

Jim
sound advise i have worked on many different models of BF's that had the rear sag problem.

* This post was edited 08/31/20 06:24pm by 54suds *

2020 Chev 6.6 (GAS) lt regular cab ,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am I mistaken that Bigfoot markets “SB” models for short bed trucks?

Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Original post says 9.6 short box camper on short box truck. Don’t see sagging issues with that. Old non basement BF’s had sagging issues, but haven’t heard of it with newer ones. Lots of plywood in the construction. Had my 2002 9.6 LB on LB truck for 14 yrs from Alaska to Texas to Maritimes with never an issue.

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Z-Peller wrote:

Original post says 9.6 short box camper on short box truck. Don’t see sagging issues with that. Old non basement BF’s had sagging issues, but haven’t heard of it with newer ones. Lots of plywood in the construction. Had my 2002 9.6 LB on LB truck for 14 yrs from Alaska to Texas to Maritimes with never an issue.

Wow, I totally missed that the OP said sb 9.6... Thankyou...

Sorry OP for missing that...

My 9.6 lb on a long bed does sag a bit. Not bad but you can see it. It is a basement 9.6 2500.

Jim

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well those campers are piles of ____ then?
Thought BF was a good brand?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> bigfoot on shortbed srw
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.