|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
GMH

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 5vr has no ladder on it and I would like to be able to at least clean the slides off before retracting them. what do you guys without ladders do?
thanks, Greg.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a collapsible ladder, many types available.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a Fifth wheel and we have awnings or toppers, still dirt etc gets on the slide room tops.A step ladder and either the long arm squeegie or the wash brush and old small wet towels a from each end after using a hose on them with the front jacks up a bit higher than the rear. I've contemplated buying a broom handle or something else as long as I can find and using a piece of hose to join it to the long handled wash brush, Or main slide without looking it up or measuring looks like it is 18-20 ft long.Its a chore to clean the top. When they are in I have small limited access over the inside edge and have put a loop of twine knoted on each end of a wet towel and drug it back and forth too.
A full wall slide would be a real challenge. I face cleaning the room tops when we pull up here as we have set here in the desert with lots of very fine dust.
I may try the sacrificial towel and twine or small diameter cord dragging it back and forth rinsing in between trip on the outside top before bringing them in.

GMH

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

I have been looking at them on amazon. Mostly good reviews, but some very bad ones. I am tempted to cut down my extension ladder to fit in the 82” box of my F-250, since I can easily borrow one from a neighbour if needed.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GMH wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

I have been looking at them on amazon. Mostly good reviews, but some very bad ones. I am tempted to cut down my extension ladder to fit in the 82” box of my F-250, since I can easily borrow one from a neighbour if needed.

A step ladder works well and stays away from the trailer, be careful with a ladder that leans against the side or roof line, you can damage things so look it over before deciding on the best one for you.

NOBLNG

canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

A step ladder works well and stays away from the trailer, be careful with a ladder that leans against the side or roof line, you can damage things so look it over before deciding on the best one for you.

Thanks, but the problem is I have nowhere to carry one. The truck box is only 82” long and I have no room in the basement storeage area. I want to bring it along so I can clean the slides before heading home.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slide toppers removes the need to clean the top of the slides. I took mine off for traveling and don't miss it. I use a regular ladder at home. Those OEM ladders would be okay in an emergency, but I don't trust them for regular usage.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-SLDD7-Compact-Folding/dp/B009IJUL4O/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=folding+ladder&qid=1598925150&sr=8-13
This , it fits in a plastic fence post thats attached to the rear bumper. Its not the greatest, i would not stand on it for hours but it works for TT.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Those OEM ladders would be okay in an emergency, but I don't trust them for regular usage.

I always wondered why they don't run a couple struts down at an angle to meet up with the connection at the trailer. That would put the connection largely in shear rather than bending.

A 90 degree connection is horribly weak and you see it when the ladders flex even with fairly small people climbing them.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-SLDD7-Compact-Folding/dp/B009IJUL4O/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=folding+ladder&qid=1598925150&sr=8-13
This , it fits in a plastic fence post thats attached to the rear bumper. Its not the greatest, i would not stand on it for hours but it works for TT.

I have one of these and it's great. Stable, and folds into about 4"×6" for storage.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.