RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tried towing after new tires & algnment...it did not go well

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tried towing after new tires & algnment...it did not go well

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
HoosierDad

Indianapolis, In, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2012 F-250 standard cab 6.2L, full 8' bed. Our trailer is a 2013 Cruiser CT29RLX travel trailer. I have sway bars on each side as well as 800 lb bars on each side for weight distribution.

Since we bought the trailer new in 2012, it has towed very easily and consistently. Last year the trailer towed perfectly with little sway or movement. Camping season start was delayed this year due to COVID-19 so I decided to replace the original equipment Continental tires with the same thing at 60,000 miles as they were starting to look bad even though I still had over 1/4" of tread. The tires were replaced and I then had the alignment done. I knew the right front was out because I had quite a bit of wear on the outside edge and the alignment printout showed it. I was running 65 PSI in the front tires and 75 PSI in the rear tires.

We hooked up the trailer for our first camping trip and got about 2 miles away from the house on a two lane highway and noticed that the front end felt it was on ice. Very light on the steering and each car passing in the other direction gave me a little wiggle. I was paying close attention and it seemed to do better when I was on a curve and had pressure on the steering wheel to make the curve. I then got on a 6 lane interstate and it seemed that the smallest thing such as grooves in the concrete were pushing me left and right. I had enough and turned around due the risk I felt that it posed to us as well as everyone else. The sway was bad enough twice in about 10 miles that I had to slowly apply the brakes to stop it.

Nothing has changed in the camper. No additional weight, nothing in any of the tanks. Sometimes I will carry water; however, having all that weight on the back end behind the axles brings sway on so I rarely do it.

On the trip back to the house, I pulled into a large parking lot and tightened the chain up by another link to put additional weight on the front end. It seemed to help a little but not much. I still felt every groove in the highway and it did not accomplish what I thought it would.

Without the trailer the front end does seem to have a little slop in it now that I am paying attention. It is usually going straight as again following a curve with some pressure on it seems to help somewhat.

I'm going to have to go to the alignment place because they are not answering the phone and are not returning my calls to make an appointment to have them check their alignment work as a starting point.

In the mean time, has anyone experienced or heard about anything similar? I wonder it is an alignment issue, new bad Continental tires, a front end linkage problem. etc..

Thanks for reading and any ideas you might send my way.

2012 F-250, Reg Cab, XLT, 4x4, 6.2L Gas
2012 Crossroads Cruiser CT29RLX
My Wife and I

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You were running 65 and 75 but what is it now pressure wise?

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

You were running 65 and 75 but what is it now pressure wise?

Exactly.....
Sounds like fronts have higher pressure
Check front and rear when cold

Rechecking that alignment is good idea especially since you now have 'slop'
Ball joints...have them checked

New tires do feel different when first used....after a few hundred miles the 'slickness' should be gone

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same tire with the same tread pattern? same pressures, possible a 'new bad Continental tires,'
Does it handle the same without the trailer as it did before. Since you had the alignment done, start at there shop, maybe they can check the tires as well

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could be as simple as air pressure issue!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ha, you jsut haven't felt new tires in 8 years and your old racing slicks weren't pickin up what the road was puttin down! Are they also a more aggressive tread? As that new tire feeling will be even more pronounced.

Unless of course the alignment messed with the caster and you're light on caster or have a little toe out going on after the alignment.

Most likely just that new tire feel. IMO

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It actually takes brand new tires to 'break in' in for a bit when they are brand new... Usually around 500 miles or so.

Just Google it and you'll find a bunch of info on it.

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tread Flex... Thats what I think it is........ It COULD go away in up to 1000 miles.... Ive had it happen to me..

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

It actually takes brand new tires to 'break in' in for a bit when they are brand new... Usually around 500 miles or so.

^^^This^^^

Completely normal. I wouldn't worry about the alignment or do anything until you have at least 1k miles on the new tires.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep. Tread squirm with new tires will wake you up! It’ll settle down as they wear in.

2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tried towing after new tires & algnment...it did not go well
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.