RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tried towing after new tires & algnment...it did not go well

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tried towing after new tires & algnment...it did not go well

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/21 12:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty sure that's been standard on 2500/3500 trucks for at least 25 years.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ">
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

HoosierDad

Indianapolis, In, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/21 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Jarlaxle wrote:

I suspect the door sticker pressure is 65F/80R.

I suspect you're right and I also suspect that it is incorrect, or at very least less than ideal for the OP's weights.

But since the OP hasn't even considered providing us with what he thinks the load is or what tires are on it, not brand, but size, it is speculation.

Although given I'm fairly certain on the approx tire rating he has and the load of the camper, it is not speculation that 65/80 is not ideal...

Yes, the miles are low because I don't drive a great distance to work and when COVID hit, I've been working remotely from mid-March 2020.

This is the first set of new tires on either of my trucks that I put on as my 2004 6.0l diesel engine caused me to trade the truck at about 60,000. I would appreciate any guidance that you can provide on the best truck tire pressures as well as any guidance for the trailer's as well.

Here is the information and these are estimates as I have not had the truck and trailer weighed.

Truck 2012 F-250 4x4 Regular Cab 6.2L Cooper Discoverer HT3 LT275/65R18
Fuel Tank: 28 gallons
Driver: 225 lbs
Other Cargo: 300 lbs
Trailer 2012 Crossroads Cruiser CT29RLX Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15
Dry Weight: 7041 lbs from Trailer
Hitch Weight: 856 "
Axle Weight: 6185 "
Cargo: 500 Estimated
Total Trailer: 7541 "

I do use weight distribution bars and followed Ford's guidance in the owners manual as approximately halfway between the no trailer/trailer attached heights of the front wheel opening.

Let me know if you need any other information to provide recommended pressures, I would appreciate the help.

2012 F-250, Reg Cab, XLT, 4x4, 6.2L Gas
2012 Crossroads Cruiser CT29RLX
My Wife and I

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/21 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Figure your axle weights and then use a load/pressure chart for your size of tire.
You can look up your exact truck, but I know your truck has a curb weight around 6000lbs and it's about 3500lbs FA, 2500lbs RA giver take.
So being conservative (lower pressure = better traction and reduced high speed handling, I call it "winter air" and the opposite for "summer air")
Say truck is 4000lbs FA = 40psi min pressure (2130 lb tire capacity at 40psi)
3000lbs RA = Probably around 30psi min (35psi = 1930lbs capacity)

Add trailer, say you add 1000lbs to the rear axle.
RA = 5000lbs = 50psi for 2535 lbs capacity per rear tire.

This is not needed to be calculated to the lb or exact 1 psi, but rather a starting point.
If it feels a little squishy, air up a little from the min.
If it's riding like a lumber wagon, air down some.
Way too little and you're killing mileage and your tires, way too much and you're not getting as good of traction and beating up your steering and suspension.

Case in point.
I have a 3/4 ton diesel. Previous owner had relatively new 37x12.50s on it. He had both front and rear at 65psi. Doesn't sound too bad, right?
Wrong. Tires had low miles, rode like they were made of wood and had worn down the center of the tread about 3/32 more than the outside edges which had 0/32 total wear. And it handled worse because the contact patch was slow, tires didn't soak up bumps and they tracked bad in the wheel ruts.
I am running about 45 psi front and 30psi rear, empty. Add 1500-2000lb tongue weight, I run 45psi front and 40-45 psi rear. WITH almost a ton on the hitch. Truck drives much better.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really hope by now the tires have a had a chance to firm up from the heat cycles.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

HoosierDad

Indianapolis, In, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/21 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^ Figure your axle weights and then use a load/pressure chart for your size of tire.
You can look up your exact truck, but I know your truck has a curb weight around 6000lbs and it's about 3500lbs FA, 2500lbs RA giver take.
So being conservative (lower pressure = better traction and reduced high speed handling, I call it "winter air" and the opposite for "summer air")
Say truck is 4000lbs FA = 40psi min pressure (2130 lb tire capacity at 40psi)
3000lbs RA = Probably around 30psi min (35psi = 1930lbs capacity)

Add trailer, say you add 1000lbs to the rear axle.
RA = 5000lbs = 50psi for 2535 lbs capacity per rear tire.

This is not needed to be calculated to the lb or exact 1 psi, but rather a starting point.
If it feels a little squishy, air up a little from the min.
If it's riding like a lumber wagon, air down some.
Way too little and you're killing mileage and your tires, way too much and you're not getting as good of traction and beating up your steering and suspension.

Case in point.
I have a 3/4 ton diesel. Previous owner had relatively new 37x12.50s on it. He had both front and rear at 65psi. Doesn't sound too bad, right?
Wrong. Tires had low miles, rode like they were made of wood and had worn down the center of the tread about 3/32 more than the outside edges which had 0/32 total wear. And it handled worse because the contact patch was slow, tires didn't soak up bumps and they tracked bad in the wheel ruts.
I am running about 45 psi front and 30psi rear, empty. Add 1500-2000lb tongue weight, I run 45psi front and 40-45 psi rear. WITH almost a ton on the hitch. Truck drives much better.

Thanks for the PSI info Grit dog

I did replace the Continentals with the Cooper Discoverer 3 tires and the problem did go away. I ran our first trip on the new tires last weekend and the pressures were 65 PSI Front and 75 PSI Rear which was close to where I was with the Continentals just for more of an apples to apples comparison. I dropped the pressures down to 40 PSI front and 30 PSI rear and it does feel completely different. I haven't had to get out much this week but I am going to make a trip to pick up some lumber so I'll get a chance to see how it does at the lower pressures.

Thanks again for the explanation on the right pressures to use. I'll hit the Cooper Tire web site and take a look at their information on loads based on PSi.

Thanks again

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Right on HD. So they were squirrely new tires.
Yes check your pressures. 40/30 should ride very comfortable, but sounds just a bit on the low end for your trucks weight.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tried towing after new tires & algnment...it did not go well
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.