RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Front Frame Mount Tie Downs Not Working!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front Frame Mount Tie Downs Not Working!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m kind of bummed out and bewildered that no one else has this problem.

I would have thought it was sort of common since it keeps happening to me.

Was hoping to find a work around or an improvement to fix the issue once and for all.

Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You say they fail “ at the top of the triangle”.....do you mean the hole with a slot cut into it on the end of the ear?...I swapped sides with my front ears so I can use solid hole right over the bar instead of putting too much twisting torque on bar if using slotted hole on end of ear..... 4 years with my TL tie-downs and they are still like new.

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

I’m kind of bummed out and bewildered that no one else has this problem.

I would have thought it was sort of common since it keeps happening to me.

Was hoping to find a work around or an improvement to fix the issue once and for all.

Once again, what Torklift guy say about it?
We do have their representative posting on the forum, so I wonder where he is now?
BTW have not seen rain in Las Vegas for at least 6 months, so send some over.
At least it finally cooled down to 90F

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have torqlift tiedowns and in fact I installed them myself. They are extremely strong. Before the tiedowns would break or bend the brackets would pull out of the camper.

Neither should happen ever. I suspect you have at least a couple of problems. First the camper should not be moving. You need a thick "horse mat" or other base for the camper to sit on. Next take a look at the bottom of the camper. There should be a rough surface. If not you can add something like stair tread anti-slip tape. Finally even if there is some slipping, the fastguns should provide a firm pull with plenty of give so nothing can break or bend. Are you using a horse mat? Are you using fastguns with properly set tension?

tlowe43q

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something is unique with your setup ...

We have no issue with TL mounts, Fast Guns, rubber mat ... the roads we have to travel departing the NE through NY and PA beat the living **** out of us, but no issues with tie downs to this point.

2017 Host Mammoth
2016 GMC 3500 Denali, Dually, Diesel, Crew Cab, 4x4(6? [emoticon] )

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From given description so far, I conclude that OP ties are mounted pretty vertical and that is not good.
I've seen setups like that and beside tie-downs the owners had nylon belt holding the camper on the bed.
Again, without picture we can crystal ball the issue forever.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

From given description so far, I conclude that OP ties are mounted pretty vertical and that is not good.
I've seen setups like that and beside tie-downs the owners had nylon belt holding the camper on the bed.
Again, without picture we can crystal ball the issue forever.

That’s quite a conclusion without any pics. And a correct one!!

The fast guns are vertical in a fore and aft sense. They do have a decent angle outward. The mount points on the TC are wider than the mount points on the frame mounts below.

If the ties shouldn’t be vertical, why the heck are these “professional” installers doing that?

I’ll take some pics ASAP.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, no problem here. Dodge, Arctic Fox, rubber mat on steel bed, Torklift tiedowns and some chain and turnbuckles.
7 years, 20-30k miles, I drive everything from 80mph across the plains with headwinds to forest roads and stuff that makes the truck feel like it's gonna lift a wheel.

It does seem unusual to me as well.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

mike/kellie

northern calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure you can change the tie down points on the camper as they need to have solid backing and Torklift takes advantage of pre-drilled holes in the trucks forward frame. Most types of fast guns are in a 11:00 to 5:00 position at the back and maybe 2:00 to 7:00 at the front. I'm sure there are many variables but a vertical 12:00 to 6:00 allows the most movement or shifting front to back.

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I'm not sure you can change the tie down points on the camper as they need to have solid backing and Torklift takes advantage of pre-drilled holes in the trucks forward frame. Most types of fast guns are in a 11:00 to 5:00 position at the back and maybe 2:00 to 7:00 at the front. I'm sure there are many variables but a vertical 12:00 to 6:00 allows the most movement or shifting front to back.

On my sisters 2008 Bigfoot Torklift provided a fore/aft rail that bolted to the camper at the original tiedown eyes and moved the rear anchor point rearward so the fastgun would clear the new fender design for 2008.

Quote:

The fast guns are vertical in a fore and aft sense. They do have a decent angle outward.

If you change which mount you are using in which position, you can get at least a little angle as changing the mounts will give you about 7" of fore/aft adjustment.

Waiting on pics as that may explain a lot. Please make sure to include pic of the frame mount at both the bed and frame connection points.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front Frame Mount Tie Downs Not Working!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.