RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: How to tow & push BACKWARDS?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How to tow & push BACKWARDS?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do a hitch on the rear, make sure it's attached to something solid. Not the typical paper thin rear bumper you find on most trailers.

Also, you might consider something like a pintal hitch as you are going to have a fairly large negative hitch weight (probably in excess of 1000lb on a 7000lb trailer). I wouldn't want to be pushing from the rear and have it pop off a ball.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you say that a motorized trailer dolly rolling on plywood can't put it in place.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motorized dolly? $1500-2000 to move a trailer basically once? Lol

Stop overthinking it. Unless it's up a hill, run the trailer jack on plywood and have a couple helpers push it into place, or use a neighbors 4 wheeler (same guy that would help push for a cold beer or 2).

I can push a 5-7klb vehicle or trailer on flat pavement by myself. Surely a few people can push it into it's final resting place.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

If you do a hitch on the rear, make sure it's attached to something solid. Not the typical paper thin rear bumper you find on most trailers.

Also, you might consider something like a pintal hitch as you are going to have a fairly large negative hitch weight (probably in excess of 1000lb on a 7000lb trailer). I wouldn't want to be pushing from the rear and have it pop off a ball.

There is little concern about the bumper thickness, since this is just a device for short moves in his yard. And there won't be any negative or positive hitch weight, since a tow bar is hinged at the trailer attachment points. Weight will still be on the front trailer jack as usual. The tow bar acts as a steering and pushing device, not much else.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

There is little concern about the bumper thickness, since this is just a device for short moves in his yard. And there won't be any negative or positive hitch weight, since a tow bar is hinged at the trailer attachment points. Weight will still be on the front trailer jack as usual. The tow bar acts as a steering and pushing device, not much else.

If the OP is still going to buy a dolly, that is partially true (it would eliminate the hitch weight being negative).

I still wouldn't trust the typical rear bumper not to cave in.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you have access to a dolly I’d go the plywood route. Rip a sheet of 3/4 and lap the ends.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

afidel wrote:

My concern would be local and/or state ordinances about occupation of a trailer as a residence. I know where I'm at that's a complete non-starter and I assume California is even more strict as far as regulation. Before you sink a bunch of time and energy into this you'd be smart to look into the legalities of what you're thinking of doing.

^^^ What he said

I can think of about a dozen reasons why this sounds like a bad idea to me, but he isn't asking, so why are you guys offering?

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems to me that if you towed it it - the door would be on the wrong side.

And I have stayed in an Airstream AirB&B - it was plenty cool. Don't knock it till you have tried it.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Compact tractor. Mine is only 5’ wide and would move the trailer just fine.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if turning is the problem cant you just back it in

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How to tow & push BACKWARDS?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.