RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Need advise on which new truck - 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need advise on which new truck - 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

Running boards on a 3/4 PU is an option to make entry easier.

Should be AMP retractable running boards on a 3/4 PU is a GREAT option to make entry easier.

Ford Edge ST Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 335HP and 380 Lb Ft - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome. Retired and enjoying it!

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

Now that we've had both for 4 years, we now are looking at a 30ft 5th Wheel, which our F150 can't tow. But we couldn't get a 3/4 ton up our driveway into the garage. But since we're planning on selling our place, now a 3/4 ton will be the next TV for our future 5th wheel.
If you don''t plan on ever getting anything bigger, then a 1/2 ton will work fine. I'm a fan of the F150 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package.

You should be thinking 350/3500 SRW not 250/3500. Just saying.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

Half tons ride nice and look cute but don't ask them to work.....get the 3/4.

That makes the top ten most ignorant things I've seen posted here this week...
And apparently I've been doing it all wrong for 30 years! Lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, any well equipped newer half ton will do the job for you without a spec of issues with the camper you're proposing.
A 3/4 ton would not be a bad choice though and the simplicity of having just a bit more truck than you need and the ability to toss the wdh and associated hardware in the garbage with a 3/4 ton could be appealing.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

bikendan wrote:

Now that we've had both for 4 years, we now are looking at a 30ft 5th Wheel, which our F150 can't tow. But we couldn't get a 3/4 ton up our driveway into the garage. But since we're planning on selling our place, now a 3/4 ton will be the next TV for our future 5th wheel.
If you don''t plan on ever getting anything bigger, then a 1/2 ton will work fine. I'm a fan of the F150 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package.

You should be thinking 350/3500 SRW not 250/3500. Just saying.

So no one tows a fifth wheel , especially a 30 foot with a 3/4 ton . It always seems the assumption with you guys everyone needs a 1 ton to tow a small fifth wheel . They may go bigger they may not. Do you know their future .

Like the op here, all they need is a properly equipped 1/2 ton. The trailer they want does not require anything else.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simple. Buy a bigger truck.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think your Tundra would probably be fine for that size trailer so I'd personally give it a shot and if you're happy with it, keep it. If you were buying a new truck regardless I'd tell you to go with an HD model because you get a lot more truck for about the same money and it gives you more flexibility with minimal downsides.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new Chevys , GMCs ( 2500s) are bigger. Wider longer and taller. So besides whats in them that makes them diffrent , they are all around bigger. Then as stated, whats in them is completely diffrent. Everything is beefed up.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

jodiwer

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I greatly appreciate all your input. In response to a few points: the Roo is a hybrid TT; no, our Tundra will not pull this weight; yes we want 4WD - we're boondockers. Our hope is to travel the west coast of US and Canada in the spring, across the north in the summer, along the east coast in the fall and the south in the winter back to our home base in Phoenix, AZ next year. So yes on long distances and mountains.

We looked at a truck with a running board and I still found it difficult to hoist myself up into the seat - the 3/4 tons are all so tall and I am short -5' 3". We bought a little step stool but haven't been back to try it out yet - will the end of this week. Just seems like that would be a hassle every time I get in and out but might be necessary. However, the main point is how well a truck will tow for the type of travel we will be doing. I think we have narrowed it down to a Ford or Chevy. The RAM trucks are great but the seating is just not comfortable enough for long term travel.

2019 F150 XLT Ecoboost, 3.5L V6 4x4, Max Towing package
2021 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS hybrid trailer
DH & I are boondockers thanks to our solar panels. Summer with our bicycles & kayak; winter with our skis & snowboards.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jodiwer wrote:

I greatly appreciate all your input. In response to a few points: the Roo is a hybrid TT; no, our Tundra will not pull this weight; yes we want 4WD - we're boondockers. Our hope is to travel the west coast of US and Canada in the spring, across the north in the summer, along the east coast in the fall and the south in the winter back to our home base in Phoenix, AZ next year. So yes on long distances and mountains.

We looked at a truck with a running board and I still found it difficult to hoist myself up into the seat - the 3/4 tons are all so tall and I am short -5' 3". We bought a little step stool but haven't been back to try it out yet - will the end of this week. Just seems like that would be a hassle every time I get in and out but might be necessary. However, the main point is how well a truck will tow for the type of travel we will be doing. I think we have narrowed it down to a Ford or Chevy. The RAM trucks are great but the seating is just not comfortable enough for long term travel.

I know they made under bed steps at one time that when you pushed it in with your foot a step came out. I wonder if you could add that under the door or on the running board. They are tall, i need the side step and im 6'6". Good grab handles might help also, i have them on my jeep for my mother and kid to get in, but have no idea if or where to put that in a truck. Look around at some of the aftermarked stuff , they have to make something.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need advise on which new truck - 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.