|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford 7.3 v8

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been cruising in my 2009 V-10 for 11 years and it’s a great engine. The 7.3 should be better in every category.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not brand loyal, I currently have a 2019 V10 class C I love. For years my daily driver was a 4.6 Crown Vic which was probably the best car I've ever owned. For the last 10 years my daily driver is a 5.3 Tahoe which has been fantastic, and one of my many Chevy LS.
Again, not brand loyal.

I remember when Ford came out with the "modular" V8/V10 their ads basically said how only a stupid cave man would stoop as low as to drive something as crappy as a prehistoric push rod engine. As I recall the ads compared the LS to the WWII jeep or a lawn mower due to the pushrods, while their modular had the super high-tech OHC (and in Lincoln, DOHC.) Here we are in 2020 and as I understand it the Ford 7.3 is a single cam pushrod motor. I'm sure its great. But its kind of funny. I can see why people are saying Ford copied the LS. The LS is an amazing engine I don't blame Ford for trying to duplicate its power/weight/cost ratio as well as its long life.

Patrick

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curious...anyone know if this big block gasser’s casting was based on the old 7.3L diesel ?

That would have been a consideration if I was going to build a new gasoline big block...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

You all realize that the RV versions of this 7.3 drivetrain will not be appreciably better than the outgoing V10, right.
It’s disappointing that the chassis models get old technology and less power.

Less GVWR and GCVWR in the case of Winnebago Gas Motorhomes, which is surprising for a larger engine.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Curious...anyone know if this big block gasser’s casting was based on the old 7.3L diesel ?

That would have been a consideration if I was going to build a new gasoline big block...

I would say that's extremely unlikely, since the 7.3 diesel was not a Ford engine. It was a Navistar engine adapted for use in Ford trucks, not unlike the Cummins in the Ram. The displacement number may or may not be a coincidence.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

You all realize that the RV versions of this 7.3 drivetrain will not be appreciably better than the outgoing V10, right.
It’s disappointing that the chassis models get old technology and less power.

IIRC the lower power rating is due to the way engine power is certified (bench dyno vs chassis dyno or something like that) in commercial vehicles vs pickups. The F550 also is rated at 350 hp instead of the 430 in the 250/350. I believe the actual engine output is the same. Someone much smarter than me (maybe Shinerbock) could explain it much better. It's too bad the motorhome only gets a six speed trans though.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Interesting. I wonder as well now

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/20 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

BenK wrote:

I would say that's extremely unlikely, since the 7.3 diesel was not a Ford engine. It was a Navistar engine adapted for use in Ford trucks, not unlike the Cummins in the Ram. The displacement number may or may not be a coincidence.

I doubt it. BUT with that said, the gas versions of that block IHC made were good motors. In someways better than diesel ones. Rumour had it tho, the 6.9 version liked to break crankshafts do to torque of the motor. Diesel motors did not have that issue.
These are the IDI versions. The T444e/7.3 psd was a different animal test.
I would go with coinsidence over planned.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Weldon

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drove a new one recently. Mileage when I started the trip was 7.4 the truck only had 23 miles on it. 250 miles later of highway driving it had climbed ti 11.6 mpg. I was not really impressed with the truck. Perhaps another trip would be better.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/20 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weldon wrote:

I drove a new one recently. Mileage when I started the trip was 7.4 the truck only had 23 miles on it. 250 miles later of highway driving it had climbed ti 11.6 mpg. I was not really impressed with the truck. Perhaps another trip would be better.

Apparently you don't zero the mileage meter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford 7.3 v8
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.