RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ivbinconned

highway 16

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I’m missing something here. Can someone explain how DW and I are not to be feared and can fly south, but our truck and trailer present a high health risk?

We can rent a place and fly to it, but are to be be feared if we hide out (isolate) in the desert with our truck and trailer.

Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

FULLTIMEWANABE

De Winton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ivbinconned wrote:

Maybe I’m missing something here. Can someone explain how DW and I are not to be feared and can fly south, but our truck and trailer present a high health risk?

We can rent a place and fly to it, but are to be be feared if we hide out (isolate) in the desert with our truck and trailer.

Like you we questioned this logic in that driving we're in our own controlled environment bubble, for eating, sleeping etc, versus close proximity and bad air exchange on a plane or exposed to hotels/motels and eating out locales.

The arguments presented to us are that with Flying you typically go from a controlled environment straight to your location, whereas driving you'd be adhoc stopping and starting and getting out here there and everywhere potentially spreading the virus.

Personally we don't buy it, we think it's all to do with how the government potentially would end up bailing out the air industry when all this is over, but hey ....... as with all opinions, everyone's got one.

Above all I just think that these decisions help yet again justify those in their 6 & 7 figure income government positions. Sigh .....

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SD experts continue to debunk the media's twist on Sturgis.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati........es-likely-tied-sturgis-rally/5750587002/

Hmmmmm, the truth appears to have been blocked. Imagine that.

Another source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielcassa........-why-experts-are-skeptical/#35e8cc6b73a1

Apparently we're not entitled to the truth.

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scottiemom wrote:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati........es-likely-tied-sturgis-rally/5750587002/

Another source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielcassa........-why-experts-are-skeptical/#35e8cc6b73a1

Believe what you wish but stats are stats and they predict up 400,000 dead before end of year. I cannot see going to our RV park and being in close proximity of our fellow campers without a bad outcome. We will just stay hunkered down this winter. and hopefully by next winter they will have a proper vaccine.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ivbinconned wrote:

Silly person. Politicians dont have to make sense. [emoticon]

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scottiemom wrote:

Never let one's inability to post correctly interfere with a good conspiracy theory! [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

Scottiemom wrote:

Believe what you wish but stats are stats and they predict up 400,000 dead before end of year. I cannot see going to our RV park and being in close proximity of our fellow campers without a bad outcome. We will just stay hunkered down this winter. and hopefully by next winter they will have a proper vaccine.

I am not sure why you would say that is your only choice. I'd rather hunker down somewhere warm than somewhere cold. You don't have to do get-togethers. You do the same things you would at home, but no snow to shovel, etc. We're in the park, but we don't mingle with. everyone. We do our things, read, sew, take walks, go for drives out into the desert, etc. All of the grocery stores have curbside pickup, all of the restaurants have take out - at lot of them curbside.

As to the thing with Sturgis, most people either don't understand anything about the event, or refuse to acknowledge the obvious. The real problem is that it's a super spreader event, and it only takes a few asymptomatic individuals to head out to the four corners of the wind and spread the disease along the way. Just like the small church wedding in Maine, with only a few people, has lead to over 140 cases in two states and they are still tracking new cases. In that case, the officiant went back to Vermont to his church and had services and refused to stop when he was told there was an outbreak at the wedding - so he passed it on to people at his Vermont church!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

ivbinconned

highway 16

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That this whole global event is politicized would be an understatement. Recognizing this I think people should be free to believe what they want on this topic. Be free to move about as they wish.
Those who want to hide out should be free to do so and not insist others do the same.
Safety and freedom is a balance.
If we want to be perfectly safe in the conduct of our lives and insist governments enforce extreme measures to achieve this then perhaps lowering speed limits on the highways to 15 MPH is called for. It would save a lot of lives...so how could one argue. “If we save just one life!”

Some of us seniors have but a few years to migrate south, stay warm and support those people who’s lives depend on the money snowbirds spend.

Sorry for the rant. I have probably strayed from the rule here.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I'd rather hunker down somewhere warm than somewhere cold. You do the same things you would at home, but no snow to shovel, etc.
This is how we feel. We will do our trip north last April in reverse... stay as isolated as we can in our RV for the entire trip. Once we get to our warm spot we will hunker down, but our hunkering will be on an uncrowded beach instead of in front of the fireplace. It does seem a bit silly that our Canadian neighbors are prevented from doing the same thing.

Dave

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

Quote:

I'd rather hunker down somewhere warm than somewhere cold. You do the same things you would at home, but no snow to shovel, etc.
This is how we feel. We will do our trip north last April in reverse... stay as isolated as we can in our RV for the entire trip. Once we get to our warm spot we will hunker down, but our hunkering will be on an uncrowded beach instead of in front of the fireplace. It does seem a bit silly that our Canadian neighbors are prevented from doing the same thing.

Dave

It is strange that Canadians can fly in if they have a park model, stay the winter, then fly home, but driving in a self-contained RV (often stopping only for fuel, using their own 'facilities') to their destination is fearful, while college students have frat parties, football tailgates and some candidates are doing indoor rallies, all of which really can spread the disease. Unfortunately logical thinking is no longer part of the curriculum in any institution of learning from K through grad schools!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.