RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

Not very often but since you want to compare the two things, are RV kitchens and cooks regulated by the local Health Department?
Watching some of the food shows with all kinds of very significant health violations is food for thought - pun intended.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

R12RTee

Full Timing with a home base in FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

I'm ok with changes like Pot Lucks going away if that happens. I've been to many of them for the socializing aspect but I don't eat the food. We show up after the meal is done. I'm sure most of it is prepared in good sanitary conditions but I can't get the image out of my head of (insert name here) with the cigarette with a long ash hanging out of her mouth, hacking up a lung and wearing a sweater with dog and cat hair all over it. She's the one that prepared the Chili everyone is eating. No thanks.

I totally agree with you.

2014 Tiffen Phaeton
2019 Ford Ranger FX/4 towed

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, we're fairly new at this, having gone south the during the last 3 winters, but we've only gone southwest, partly because Florida is crowded and you can't get in anywhere.
I told my wife that if we're ever doing Florida in the winter, this is the year. We go for about 10 weeks, but like to move around.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One way to help keep the American economy going down south in FL or RGV or AZ (if that's a concern) might be to open the US border to Canadians unilaterally, to let the Canadian Snowbirds that want to head south to spend their money in the US, do so. They would be subject to any state or local virus related protocols and regulations, as well, which I'm sure most would accept. They would also have to weigh the risk/reward of travelling south, knowing that they are "on their own" for medical travel insurance coverage for Covid 19 related problems, but would be covered for everything else, like normal, based on what I've seen online. Last time I checked (a few weeks ago) there were still a couple of Emerg Travel Med insurers that were still issuing policies with all the Covid19 caveats. Assuming the lockdown/quarantine situation will be status quo until next year, they would also have to prepare to do the 14 days of isolation upon their return in the Spring of 2021, just like anyone else returning to Canada. This would probably be an acceptable option to most diehard Snowbirds, and I would think the American (and perhaps Mexican?) RV parks and campgrounds would like to stay as full as possible during the winter months, from an economic perspective.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike. I like your attitude. I am a pessimist right now but hope I am wrong.

joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is that there are too many Canadians who would NOT quarantine. When they come back in the spring, we'll have a major outbreak.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joe,
My understanding is that they closely monitor any Canadians who return home - both CBSA/RCMP, and local law enforcement are now getting involved. It would be extremely foolish to NOT isolate upon your return, and get caught, because the penalties under the Quarantine Act are onerous, to say the least.
It's not just telling the CBSA border agent, "I promise to self isolate" any more. They actively check up on you. I also believe you're required to present your plan at the border when you re-enter, or they'll give you one, and the terms are quite strict and you will be monitored and the law enforced, if necessary. Stock up on food and other necesssities before you cross back into Canada, would be good advice.
So, you're right, it's not a game, it's serious, but it is doable.
Some info describing the requirements...
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/s........novel-coronavirus-information-sheet.html
And the checking up process...as of May, and I doubt that they're relaxing the compliance checking.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronaviru........uarantining-travellers-at-home-1.4949021

If you like irony, truckers and healthcare workers, and other "essential border traffic" are treated much more loosey goosey than the rest of us. If a serious outbreak were to happen, it would more likely be from them than us, but so far, it hasn't happened, in either case.

* This post was edited 09/02/20 08:43pm by MDKMDK *

Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tons of french canadians go to florida each winter, plus a lot of them in Puerto Vallarta and Lo de Marcos. That should free up a lot of sites.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/20 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tequila wrote:

tons of french canadians go to florida each winter, plus a lot of them in Puerto Vallarta and Lo de Marcos. That should free up a lot of sites.

I guess if they own a property, or rent one, and fly to their destinations, they'll still be there? Or, did you mean they reserve campsites in RV Parks? Yes, much harder to get across the border. Kind of surprising that the current US Administration hasn't addressed the economic aspect of keeping Canadians from snowbirding in the southern US. I would have thought they would do the unilateral border opening, just to keep their southern RV Parks and campgrounds full, but some have said they're getting plenty of local business, so maybe it's not a priority.
I expect BC will be very much overbooked for campsites this winter coming. It's the only place you can winter camp, with any chance of not freezing to death, although I think last winter they got more than their share of below average cold/freezing temps.

pawatt

Brainerd MN / Palmview TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/20 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A recent Survey of South Texas Snowbirds had 33% not coming this year and quite a few wait and see. In recent years several over 55 parks dropped the age requirement and local families have moved in. There will be bargains to be had. If you plan to come for a 3 - 5 month stay I suggest you bargain for a better rate. Many parks are offering first timer discounts. Do not hesitate to ask for a better rate. Reservations are not needed or advised. Just come down, rent a spot for a week and visit many parks to find a site and park you like. There is talk in our park of moving more activities outdoors. Street Dances with distancing, Out door music and ???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.