RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Poor workmanship -- Entry Level VS Higher Price ????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Poor workmanship -- Entry Level VS Higher Price ????

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

"Plus, your average 1/2 ton pickup (`$50k) costs more than double you average travel trailer ($20-25k)"

Very true, but at least you get a motor and a transmission with the truck. [emoticon]

Vs a Fridge, toilet, plumbing system, awning, 4 tv's, etc...point is it's wildly different and produced on a drastically smaller scale.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

$7.25 an hour to build RV's? Prove it.

"Prove it" seems unnecessarily confrontational, especially when you can Google it yourself, but here you go.

Minimum wage in Indiana is $7.25/hour as stated.

[image]

Now try to lighten up a little.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

"Prove it" seems unnecessarily confrontational, especially when you can Google it yourself, but here you go.

[image]

Considering McDonalds pays $10-12/hr, I'm not buying $7.25 just because it's technically allowed.

As a follow up, did a quick online, Forest River is hiring now...no experience necessary $30-40k/yr, which translates to around $15-20/hf.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And on the other hand, tipped employee minimum wage is $2.13/hr.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

dedmiston wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

[image]

Considering McDonalds pays $10-12/hr, I'm not buying $7.25 just because it's technically allowed.

As a follow up, did a quick online, Forest River is hiring now...no experience necessary $30-40k/yr, which translates to around $15-20/hf.

Yep, ever since the RV boom started a few years ago, they raised wages much higher, due to worker shortages. They have been paying way more than $7.25/hr for some time now.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just because a company pays more does not necessarily mean the quality improves.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always thought that they were paid piece work rate for speed hence the poor quality.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

Just because a company pays more does not necessarily mean the quality improves.

True - but some folks automatically assume(d) RV workers are being paid minimum wage. Obviously they are not.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/20 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn't matter if they were paid 50 bucks an hour, management would still have control over how fast and how much quality goes into building one unit.
That and all the junk that suppliers provide them with, there's no chance that quality will ever be better. I'm mean seriously, plastic sinks and plastic faucets? 1/2 a cabinet hanging on the wall? Sloppy welds on frames covered with paint runs?

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/20 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cost does not always equate to quality. I purchased a NEW Starcraft trailer and found it to be pretty bad. Bad, in the sense of the quality of the materials. I don't think the workmanship was necessarily bad but materials were shoddy. The drawers were never right, cheap guides, wooden rails that were stapled together. A switch for the slideout went TU in the first year. Cheap tires had to be replaced too.

Then I bought an Airstream,used, three years old. I don't really think that the quality of workmanship is any different than many other trailers. There have been lots of stories of new Airstreams with issues off the line. Since mine was 3 years old, I figure most of the early issues had been taken care of. What I can tell you is the quality of the materials they put in these things are pretty good. Latches that work, switches that work, windows that open and close and the awnings are really nice. No mold and mildew to deal with. I have over 50K on my trailer with little to no issues. They are obscenely expensive. I seriously don't know how any regular guy can buy a new one. We lucked out and got a very good price on a used unit.

And, when the "light" trailer became popular I winced at the concept. To me, lighter means lighter materials going into the construction. Perhaps they have improved the building techniques to make up the difference, who really knows? I do know the fiberglass trailers today use materials that do not rot, are light weight and very sturdy. The shells they use make the trailers pretty water proof on top of that. Airstreams will leak if not properly maintained. And older units have wooden subfloors that can and will rot if ignored. They certainly are not perfect. But, I can sell mine today for just about what I paid for it 11 years ago. Still pretty solid.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Poor workmanship -- Entry Level VS Higher Price ????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.