RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Pure Sine Wave Inverters best quality manufacturers?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pure Sine Wave Inverters best quality manufacturers?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

Funny part, inverter come with factory cables about 2 ft long. They are #8 wire.

I have noticed that also ! You would be better off getting rid of those cables and getting some larger cables. If you think you would ever be close to pulling 4000W that would be be over 300A ! Even a more realistic 3000W would be well over 200A !! For that load, I would want at least a #2 wire .

I did put #2 wires and having 2 batteries in different location, each battery has separate #2 wire.
But I tested the inverter on factory cables and my 3.5HP shopvac.
When I think 3.5 HP rating is bogus, the vacuum run on the inverter just fine, although the inverter display show big voltage drop.
The test done on single battery and just for few seconds.

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DWeikert wrote:

I use a Xantrex ProWatt 600 and added their remote panel to turn it on or off from the bed.

PS: Xantrex also makes a nice transfer switch which I also use. Not that this couldn't be used with any inverter...

* This post was edited 09/04/20 10:19am by DWeikert *

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Joe, sorry if I sounded critical. I merely want to suggest looking at using an inverter as little as possible and getting the smallest inverter that will work. As I am sure you know, inverters can waste a lot of battery power but it seems that is not an issue for you.

Quite alright [emoticon]. Generally, the inverter only gets used while we're driving, as I detailed earlier, or in cases where we either don't have shore power or its outside of generator hours to drive small electronics.

The Going Merry currently has two Group 31 Deep Cycles as her main power bank plus a Group 27 that lives under the hood on the truck and is available when the two are mated.

I designed the current setup after having recurrent problems on a trip I took through eastern oregon where I had difficulty keeping the fridge cold because the winds that would race across the open scrub lands would constantly blow the burner out while we drove down the road.

So, I used the guide from forum member MatthewB's write up on a heavy duty charge circuit and redid the whole base 12volt system in Mr. KIT, my original traveling camper so that it had #4 base wiring and a 100 amp lift gate plug that connected the 12volt charge system straight into the camper.

I originally drove this on a 300watt inverter, but the unit was being run close to its max continuous rating in this setup (And I accidentally later fried it when I failed to notice the feed wires had gotten shorted on the camper), so its replacement was the 500 Peak/400 Continuous Schumacher MSW inverter that's still in the old camper today, which ran much cooler because less of its total capacity was being used.

So, the current sizing was simply based around what we'd already been using to have adequate spare capacity on the unit to prolong its longevity and provide the power requirements we had and this time around cleaning up the power because the draw back on the original setup was the power bricks on a lot of stuff on MSW got hot after running for a while due to the bad sinewave.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DWeikert wrote:

DWeikert wrote:

I use a Xantrex ProWatt 600 and added their remote panel to turn it on or off from the bed.

PS: Xantrex also makes a nice transfer switch which I also use. Not that this couldn't be used with any inverter...

Thank you! That would actually be a rather nice upgrade from the original manual switch I used [emoticon].

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No personal experience but I see Renogy is marketing their own psw inverters , looks like good reviews .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pure Sine Wave Inverters best quality manufacturers?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.